Elevator bellcrank cable connection

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Elevator bellcrank cable connection

Post by PoconoJohn »

I'm trying to find the right part to connect the elevator cables to the elevator bellcrank. All I can find is AN115 cable shackles. They don't seem large enough to have two cables connected.

Once that's figured out, is the cable looped through as seems to be on the plans, or is there a better way?

Thank you,

John C
taildrags

Re: Elevator bellcrank cable connection

Post by taildrags »

Are you talking about the bellcrank inside the fuselage, behind the pilot's seat?

-Oscar
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Browsing around Westcoastpiet, there are plenty of different setups at that bellcrank. Here's Chris Tracy's.

-Oscar
Chris.JPG
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Yes, that's it. I see a shackle on the top right. I'm trying to figure out how to best connect the cables. I'll look around for photos.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

John, note that you can use some AN111 cable bushings through AN100 cable thimbles to secure the cable ends to the bellcrank by passing a bolt through them. Various ways to skin this cat.

-Oscar
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks! I may be back with more questions.

John
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

John, I somehow managed to build my Piet without using a single AN115 cable shackle. I used pairs of #50 motorcycle connecting links throughout. They fit AN3 bolts perfectly and can be widened or narrowed by using however many washers you need. They are also much, much cheaper than certified thimbles, as you can buy them from places that supply drive chain systems and probably from your local motorcycle shop. I bought mine from Grainger. If you'd like, I'll snap some pictures. Cheers, Ken
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks Ken! Photos always help. I'll go to Grainger and look around.

John
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

John,

I haven't found a picture of my elevator bell-crank assembly. Here's one taken of the rudder horn that might give a sense of the flexibility provided by using combinations of motorcycle connecting links. (Disregard the angle-finder. This was taken as a set of photos when I was dialing in the H-Stab angles of incidence.)

Cheers, Ken
Attachments
IMG_2842.JPG
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

I can see the set up clearly. Thanks!

John