Tiger Moth style tanks??

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
libertyman777

Tiger Moth style tanks??

Post by libertyman777 »

Hey all,
I see these around but can find very little information. Does anyone have any word on these?
Thanks,
Paul
taildrags

Re: Tiger Moth style tanks??

Post by taildrags »

I believe Kevin Purtee has that style tank on his Piet, but I don't know if he's on this discussion board. I know he's over on the Pietenpol facebook page.

-Oscar
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Douwe Blumberg too. Pics on WestCoastPiet.com
libertyman777

Post by libertyman777 »

Thanks gentleman!!
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

Hey,

I "bumped out" my wing tank to make a "moth-style" tank when I built my plane in 2011. Kevin Purtee also did the same thing. I am very pleased with it because it gives me the range I like for that once-a-year Brodhead trip, but the option to only keep 12 gallons or so in it. I think the capacity came out to about 21 gallons if my memory serves. the primary reason I did it was to keep the fuel system simple with only one tank, get the benefits of a wing tank (increased head pressure, out of the fuselage, etc) while also freeing up the space in front of the passenger for a storage area

Kevin says he likes his too.

Douwe
libertyman777

Post by libertyman777 »

Douwe wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:18 am Hey,

I "bumped out" my wing tank to make a "moth-style" tank when I built my plane in 2011. Kevin Purtee also did the same thing. I am very pleased with it because it gives me the range I like for that once-a-year Brodhead trip, but the option to only keep 12 gallons or so in it. I think the capacity came out to about 21 gallons if my memory serves. the primary reason I did it was to keep the fuel system simple with only one tank, get the benefits of a wing tank (increased head pressure, out of the fuselage, etc) while also freeing up the space in front of the passenger for a storage area

Kevin says he likes his too.

Douwe
Thank you sir. How did you decide on the size/arc?