stewart system

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Larry V

stewart system

Post by Larry V »

Hello everyone
I started my Pietenpol in 2007. I had quite a period of time where I went from working on it quite regular to where I wasn't working on it at all.
I am now going at it again. I am thinking of using the Stewart system for covering. Their sealer for the wood is Eko seal. Has anyone used the stewart system Eko Seal wood varathane and stewart system for covering?

Thanks Larry V
jeffreyK

Re: stewart system

Post by jeffreyK »

I helped restore a L-3 for the D-Day memorial and we used the Stewart system. I have nothing bad to say about this system and it was the one I was going to use myself particularly because it is water based and can be applied in my garage without worrying about the volatile vapors. It was also very forgiving. The cloth to cloth bond is what holds it all together. If you make a mistake applying to the frame, you can peel it off and do it again. I would suggest you get a quality calibrated iron if you use this product. the L-3 is metal frame so we didn't use any wood sealer. With the Stewart system you can use Spar Varnish if you desire. I saw Oratex at OSH and after researching that product have decided to go with it. Oratex will cost more however there is no sealing, priming, or painting involved and there is a weight advantage for not having all those layers. Nevertheless, I was very happy applying the Stewart system. I have taken a couple of the Polyfiber classes at OSH and I personally don't want to be around those chemicals. Once you apply the Polyfiber you can't take it off like you can the Stewart fabric. I am not an expert on this stuff but this was my experience. Hope it helps you out in your decision process.
Larry V

Post by Larry V »

Jeffery, Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Larry,

I'll second everything Jeffrey says about the Stewart System. I've used both Polyfiber and Stewarts. I much prefer Stewarts as it is more forgiving when fixing mistakes and has no noxious fumes.

I'd recommend buying an infrared thermometer (approx $30 at big box homestores) to routinely check temps on the face of your iron. I have two irons: a small hobby shop iron for getting into tight places and a regular household iron. My small iron (which I love) typically has a more than 100F differential in temps from one side of the iron face to the other and about a 75F differential between the tip and the butt. Sounds terrible, but as long as you know precisely the temps you can use the differences to your advantage.

Enjoy. I thought the fabric covereing process was one of the most enjoyable, rewarding parts of the whole build.

Cheers, Ken
Larry V

Post by Larry V »

Hi Ken
Thank you for the information.
I have made my mind up now that I will be using the Stewart system.
Take Care