Inter-rib bracing

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jeffreyK

Inter-rib bracing

Post by jeffreyK »

Inter-rib bracing before covering the wings is not mentioned in the plans. AC43-13 talks of the need but defers the number of braces and location to the manufacturer. Is there a standard for where they should be placed on the Piet? Any information on where to locate the bracing is appreciated.
KenBickers

Re: Inter-rib bracing

Post by KenBickers »

Jeffrey,

Here's a picture of what I did. I followed the guidance of the person teaching the EAA SportAir fabric covering course at Flabob airport in fall of 2011. If I recall, this is what is recommended in 43.13.

Cheers, Ken
Attachments
Wing (Port) ready for cover.jpg
Last edited by KenBickers on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

In theory, these ribs would be most likely to buckle midway between the spars... right where Ken has his X-bracing. Realistically though, I think with something like a Piet with lightly-loaded wings, once the wing fabric is laced to the ribs and tautened, the ribs would be held securely in their places and X-bracing would be unnecessary. But then again, the weight of the x-bracing is virtually insignificant and it does look nice and proper.

-Oscar
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

My understanding, which may be flawed, is that the purpose of the bracing is to keep the ribs from distorting left or right during the fabric shrinkage phase of the covering process. Since heat can't be applied across the whole wing simultaneously, there needs to be a way to keep things stable as the iron is passed across the bays between ribs.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Well that makes perfect sense!

-Oscar
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Thank you all. I appreciate it.
Jeffrey K