Wheel Diagram Questions

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Wheel Diagram Questions

Post by PoconoJohn »

Here is a diagram for a Cleveland wheel. I have 40-24, which is column B in the diagram.

1) Is it correct that the area labeled "Not Used" is not used on 40-24?

2) Why is Figure 2 Cup-Bearing listed twice?

3) Once assembled, is it item 9 (Cap - Hub), then the axel nut, then the bearing?

4) The last item to the right is #13, Ring Grease Seal. Is there then a space followed by brake assembly (I guess a mount welded to the axel?)

5) Is 8" enough axle for wheel assembly and brakes? That leaves about 2" on the inside for additional bracing to the V.

Thanks!

John
(almost one year just for the gear!)
wheel.jpg
taildrags

Re: Wheel Diagram Questions

Post by taildrags »

John; here's my opinion on your questions.

1)Yes, it appears that those parts are not used because the part 9 looks like it does the same job of sealing the grease in the bearing.
2) Not sure, but you do need 2 of them... one for the inner bearing and one for the outer.
3) It would have to be assembled with the bearing into the wheel, then the axle nut, then the item 9 cap-hub enclosing those other items.
4) The last item, 13, holds everything on the inside of the wheel in place. That entire assembly then slips onto the axle. The brake "caliper" is in two pieces that wrap around the brake disc and when assembled, the caliper slides in and out on a plate with guides. See picture below for a better idea of this.
5) Maybe the pic will give you more information on how this all works, as long as you're using Cleveland style brakes. If you're just welding straight tube axles onto your gear vees, you're kinda on your own unless you can find more details on Westcoastpiet in the various photos.
axle.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
PoconoJohn

Re: Wheel Diagram Questions

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks Oscar,

Seems I'm on the right track then. I'm welding 1' axles to the V's. I get the feeling I'll have to weld a plate to the axle and the brake will get bolted to that.

John C