Aileron Hinges 6'?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Bobbyt

Aileron Hinges 6'?

Post by Bobbyt »

Ok, I'm about to settle on aileron hinges and would like to hear opinions. Lots of folks use the full length extruded piano hinges, and I'm leaning that way, but what about weight? A 6' section could weigh just under a pound. 3-4 6" pieces of piano hinge would be much lighter and one could use something lighter to seal the gap. Has anyone done this with success? Why not?

Thanks!
taildrags

Re: Aileron Hinges 6'?

Post by taildrags »

Bobbyt; not sure where you got the weight figure from, but let's go with it. If 6 ft of it is a pound including mounting hardware, then let's say four 6" pieces are a third of a pound. Add back in a little for whatever you use as gap seals to achieve the same effect and you might be up to half a pound and you've saved half a pound per side. What it's cost you is a bit of additional effort to line up your four separate sections of hinge on each wing panel to keep them all pivoting around the same axis, plus a bit of additional time and effort to cut, smooth, and install four smaller pieces plus the gap seals rather than just mounting a single long piece and being done with it. You'll also have to fiddle with four short pieces of hinge pin material rather than just having a single long piece of hinge pin rod to thread through all the holes and secure at one end. Removing an aileron to repair it is simpler with a long continuous hinge... just pull the one long pin and you're done. The weight of the hinge or hinges is very near the CG and won't affect the weight & balance. So... for my money, I'd go with the single long hinge per side and call it good. That's how my plane's ailerons are hinged.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Bobbyt

Post by Bobbyt »

Thanks! That's the kind of thoughtful reply that helps me make the right choice!
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

On the flip side.
There's really no not much effort in getting the three hinges aligned since you install them before you cut the ailerons free.
Gap seals really aren't a big deal either with something like 3M Blenderm tape (apply with Windex like we used to do for decals on our Gillows models).
Every ounce counts.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Now see-? This is how we all come to the party and bring good things! Thank you, Dan! I reserve the right to get smarter!

-Oscar