close to Oshkosh

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

close to Oshkosh

Post by taildrags »

Seeing no new posts here, I wanted to be the first to post to this forum in September, so here goes. Only distantly related to Pietenpols, but I just got back from a couple of days of sailing on Lake Superior with a friend from Minneapolis and it was my first time to ever visit the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin... and I'm 72 years old. I figure that I was only about 242 miles from Oshkosh while I was in the Twin Cities... the closest I've ever gotten to actually going there.

While out sailing, we watched what I think was a Grumman Goose giving sightseeing flights around Madeline Island in the area we were sailing (Bayview). I love the sound of big radial engines, and the rumble of those two Pratt & Whitneys carried beautifully out across the lake to where we were.

Pietenpols forever!

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Richard Roller

Re: close to Oshkosh

Post by Richard Roller »

My wife went to college in Marquette, Michigan. She always says the water was so cold, even in the summer.

She tells me of a group of rocks off shore, somewhere close to Marquette, where her and her girlfriends would wade out to sunbath on. It would only get up to their hips, but they would be numb from there down by the time they got to the rocks. Apparently they weren't visible from the shore after they got there, so they would sunbath topless. Unfortunately, I didn't know her then.,. ☹️
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Richard, please post GPS coordinates of the sunbathing rocks.

:lol:
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

I've been there as well and she's right about the water temps!! gorgeous though, and if you don't like the WX, just wait thirty minutes 'cause it'll change.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Douwe: and it DID change while we were there! Daytime temps were in the high 80s when we arrived but then a cold front pushed through on Tuesday late afternoon bringing wind, temperature drop, rain, thunder, lightning, and a bit of small hail. After that there were pretty good waves on the lake, low ceilings, and some really exciting sailing weather.

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

My wife and I were in Traverse City last November, different lake but the same region. The day we arrived it got to the high 70's, 2 days later we woke up to 6 inches of very wet snow!