Digital Instruments

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
JimBob

Digital Instruments

Post by JimBob »

Am ready to obtain and install instruments.
OMG, I'm going to catch some grief over this but am looking at using, at least in some part, digital.
Looking at the Blaze Singles.
I know, I know, sacrilegious. Please, my Piet, my choice.
Overall I am not going for the typical antique look.
Has anyone gone this route?
taildrags

Re: Digital Instruments

Post by taildrags »

JimBob, I have not thought about that for my Piet and am not planning to do that on the plane that I'm building- but those are nifty instruments and why not use them on a Piet? I've thought about (and written about, in the BPA Newsletter) some concepts for using newer construction techniques for this 1929-era design, but I'm not building a new version of the Piet in my lifetime.

Why won't I use digital/electronic instruments in the plane that I'm currently building? Well, because like my Air Camper, the Flying Squirrel that I'm building doesn't have an electrical system and I'm keeping it that way.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Jim,
Glad I'm not the only one going digital. I was going to go no electronics however my Corvair engine has dual ignition thus requiring an alternator. That changed everything with regards to instruments. I can install a single screen that takes the place of all engine and nav instruments saving me a lot of work, money, and a lot of weight. What's not to love about that! I frequently see cockpits with GPS and a handheld hanging in what is already a somewhat small place. I'm trying to work it so not to have any clamped on or hanging gear. That's just me and I have no guilt about it!
Jeffrey Kornblum
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Jeffery, have you picked out what you are going to use yet?
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to feel pretty lonely.
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I have been thinking about the GRT Avionics 7" unit. Take a look at the VFR screen in that unit. My center section will be going on in the next few weeks and then I will be able to tell exactly where the aileron cables will go and how much clearance I'll have behind the unit. I have checked out several units at OSH and like this for non-certified VFR use. The unit itself is very slim but the add-ons can add depth which is why I'm waiting to know exactly what I can put there. If you see something you like better, let me know. I'm always open to new suggestions before I commit.
JeffreyK
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

I was looking at the Blaze singles. Looked like I could get about every thing I needed in two units.
However, I am thinking my tired old eyes will have difficulty seeing so don’t think I will be going that route.
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I had looked at the MGL instruments however, W Wynne warned me that the tach pickup used on the Corvair doesn't work well with MGL. I have no personal experience to say good or bad product but since I have a Corvair engine I couldn't ignore information from the Corvair expert.