Pietenpol-List: Wheels

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dpaul
Dave:Got a picture? If so please remember to make the file size small for us dial-upusers.. What bike are they off of? It's had to tell without seeing them. I thinksomeone else is using the back wheels off a motorcycle as well. The usual way to build them is a 5 1/2 spacing between spoke flanges so 5" seemswide enough (If close enough is ok). It's wider then some of the other wheelspeople have used. The big question is can you get a large enough axel in them.Smallest axels I know of are 1" for split gear and 1 1/4 on the strait axel.Also look at how the casting was designed, your looking for high stress areasduring side loads that might crack a flange or something. Are you planningon using heavier (thicker) spokes? Will they fit? Finally are YOU satisfiedthey will work? If it all looks good to you then give them a try (If theyare not to expensive).Chris T.Sacramento, Ca ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Robert Haines"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: WheelsPieters, I have been building a piet for about 4 years and started the project with the idea of using things I have collected over the years. I built axleslike cessna's (1&1/2 by 5 and1/2 to fit goodyear 600 x 6 wheels.Then I wanted motorcycle wheels so bought two 18 inch rear wheels for $25.00. I bought 7 and 5/8 spokes from JP motorcycle parts in Anamosa, Ia for $80.00. I built hubs and bushing and rebuilt cleveland brake disk and have only about 4 inchesof space between spokes at the hub because of the length of axles. Here are my weights. tires-3.5 xby 18 used 11 lbs, hub 2, brake disk 2, rim (steel) 6, bushings and spokes 2, and calipers 2 . This adds up to 25 lbs per wheel or50 lbs. The goodyear assembly weighs 18 pounds or 36 for both,so I have added 14 pounds for the motorcycle wheels and have lifted the axles about 4 and1/2 inches. If I don't like them I can go back to the goodyears. I sure makes it look like a bigger airplane and I can use a long prop. Having fun incold deep Iowa.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Nearly 7 are complete ! and the 75th Anniv.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kip and Beth Gardner
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Nearly 7 are complete ! and the 75th Anniv. Mike & Group, I'm going to call Bill Rewey sometime soon, to see how he's been, and to talk 'Pietenpol' talk with him !! Last year at Oshkosh, Jim Markle and his sons had Bill, Larry W. and myself over for dinner and brewskys a couple evenings. Jim's son is a pretty good cook !! Beautiful star lit night, and Pietenpol talk - Great time !! Bill has Dimple Tape on his prop, and he saysit definitely helped. I've been considering that stuff for mine, even before I askedhim about it. He doesn't have e-mail, and I need a Pietenpol 'Information List' from him. I've been in contact with Doc Mosher, and as always, he offers his help and support. He is kind of like our 'Oshkosh' connection. The 'No Radio Approach' sounds like the best way to go. We gotta work on that. He says we canprobably get a front row center at the homebuilt area, but there is No Campingin that area. There will be POP (Protect Our Planes) people around to keep an eye on things, when the owner is not present. He's finding out if the EAA camera plane (might have to be the Bell helicopter to fly slow enough) could meet us at the half way point of our final leg to Oshkosh, for some Air to Airshots of a formation of Pietenpols !! Would that be WAY COOL or what !! Atsome point during Oshkosh, we will probably all take off and do a fly - by. I asked him if he would find out if we could fly the flock of Pietenpols over to Pioneer Field, for a photo shoot in front of the Pietenpol Hanger. He said he would get started on the Pioneer Airport thing, although he had a feelingthat will be off limits (EAA has these systems, you know). For this, the 75 th Anniversary Year, I kinda see Brodhead as the usual laid back, no hassle, renew old friendships and make new ones, Pietenpol Heaven!! Oshkosh, however, is our place to Shine our beloved design in front of the masses, especially because the Sport Pilot Issue will have been passed by then.Chuck Gantzerfrom Trees and Rags,to Stick & Rudder,Pietenpols are Forever !!________________________________________________________________________________ Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:25:21 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Carl Loar
----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Carl Loar
Dave:Do you have the Flying and Glider magazine? The strait axel plans are in there.A few people have made the gear a bit wider but I don't know if its 56" wide.Send me your email address so I can send you some stuff off list.Chris T.Sacramento, Ca----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimboyer(at)direcway.com
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Dave, I keep a copy of the Flying and glider in my backpack. I found 2 widthdimensions for the wood gear. 61 1/2", outside of hub to outside of hub, I guess this is the length ofthe straight axle. 42 1/2", inside of wood fitting to inside of wood fitting, this is the runof the axle between the wood landing gear struts.Good luck,Skip I am assuming that the width of the landing gear for my straight axle,wood gear is the same as the plans show for the metal landing gear - Right?The plans show 56 inches from center of hub left to center of hub right. Thanks Richard and Carl for your advise concering spoke wheels. It'sgood to hear from the "for what it's worth department." Dave Paulsen - Missouri MessageDave,I keep a copy of the Flying and glider in my backpack. I found 2 width dimensions for the wood gear.61 1/2", outside of hub to outside of hub, I guess this is the length of the straight axle.42 1/2", inside of wood fitting to inside of woodfitting, this is the run of the axle between the wood landing gear struts.Goodluck,Skip I am assuming that the width of the landing gear for my straight axle, wood gear is the same as the plans show for the metal landing gear- Right? The plans show 56 inches from center of hub left to center of hub right. Thanks Richard and Carl for your advise concering spoke wheels.It's good to hear from the"for what it's worth department." Dave Paulsen - Missouri________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:06:35 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kenneth M. Heide"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: barnstmr(at)aol.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kenneth M. Heide
If I can get some of the mess out of my hanger I'll pull my Pietenpol out intothe 75 degree sunny shiney day and send anyone who in interested a picture ofthe Honda CB350 motorcycle wheels on my airplane. I had them powder coated redto match the color I plan on painting the fuselage, but now I wish I would havepainted the wheels black for a more authentic/nostalgic look.Sterling ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John and Phyllis Smoyer
John:I'll try and wheel the Piet out this weekend. I came up with a novel way for doingmy brakes. I'm confident the Honda wheels will work fine and I think the gossipabout spokes/wheels going south is urban legend. Anyway, a good pilot canland one of these without side loading the wheels and putting undo stress onthe spokes and hub.Sterling Brooks5TA6, San Antonio Sectional ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Ramler
Go here to find the definitive article on building wire wheels, thank to Jim forputting these on the web.http://mykitplane.com/Planes/filesList2 ... D=3D56Also look in his building log for pictures of his wheels built to these planshttp://mykitplane.com/Planes/buildLogReportDetail.cfm?BuildLogID=3D803&PlaneID=3D52&FName=3DJim&LName=3DMarkle&PlaneName=3DAir%20CamperChris TracySacramento, Ca ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Bacon
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Catdesign
Thanks Chris.I just wish I could claim even a small part of what those pictures show. I'veshamelessly copied ideas from Howard Henderson, ideas forwarded/published by GrantMaClaren, stuff that Cuy, Phillips, Corbett and many others came up with.My project would not be worth the effort if it wasn't for the smarts of a lotof craftsmen out there.And I also love the idea of wire wheels and agree with Sterling, black wire wheelsare a bit more authentic. I too wondered about hub width and whether or not"narrow" motorcycle hubs might be more prone to collapse. Then I realized,if I have a choice, why not go wider? It was a fairly costly process (scansof my wheel and wheel accessories invoices are on mykitplane.com) but to me, worthit. It's really easy to spend a lot of time and energy sweating the smallstuff when you can just play it safe in some of these decisions. Ahh, choiceschoices.I just finished powdercoating the remainder of the metal fittings (yeah, therewill probably be a few pieces I've missed) and can now focus on the instrumentpanel. It will also reflect neat things I've seen others do. For the panel,I'm copying some simple inlay (purfling) ideas from a Luthier I saw on the DiscoveryChannel.I don't know about anyone else but my mind and heart have been wandering up toBrodhead a LOT lately... The field is probably covered with snow right now butnot in my mind...JM ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dmott9(at)aol.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
After several months of waiting, I finally get to look at my completed wheels.I purchased my hubs from Ken Perkins back in the spring and sent them out toBuchanan's to get spokes cut and rims drilled. Received them back on April 19...had them at the powder coater April 20, and then they sat at the local motorcycleshop for over two months! I finally just went and picked them up withthe intention of lacing them up on my own sometime. Well, sometime finally came...a friend of mine stopped by the hangar the other day... as he's lookingaround he says, "what with those wheels?" I explained that I wasn't ready topull my hair out yet, and that I was saving them for a cold winter day. He grabsa rim, a hub and a hand full of spokes and proceeds to lace one up in underan hour. I forgot that he was a bicycle guy, and it never dawned on me toask him for help. He came back by last night and laced the other one, and nowhas them at his house on his truing rig. As much as I wanted to learn to lacewheels (not)... I sure do appreciate him getting them put together for me.--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/dsc0 ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "K5YAC"
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: WheelsYour wire wheels look great Mark and way to go, hat's off to the gent who lacedand is truing your wheels for you. You could easilydo this yourself but the learning curve is steep for the first wheel but as withall Pietenpol building the second 'anything' goes much faster. They look great--are you planning on using any brakes? Steel landing gear legsor wood?Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
according to this calculator i found .... punching in the numbers ..my engine is making 51 HP with the thrust being within 2 lbs of what the calculatorsays for that pitch and length at 1750 rpmhttp://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htmJeffRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:42:38 -0500Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: K5YAC
Mark,I think it is very cool that you have contributions from others! That makes fora really nice story...GaryNX308MB------Original Message------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
I'm just hoping I can squeak under that 51% rule. [Laughing]--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "echobravo4"
Here is a really cool tool that a friend of mine showed me yesterday yes, the sameguy that laced my wheels. Hey, he is a 26 year-old pilot, P.E., neighborand co-worker. A pretty sharp kid who is currently building his own bicycle hesbeen talking like he might like to try an airplane next. Anyhow, I told himthat I was struggling a bit with how I might shape the tubing for my landinggear where it meets my axles without wasting a lot of material. I describeda method that I saw on EAA Hints for Homebuilders using the poster board and attemptingto crumple the ends and cut a template. He told me of a cycle designprogram that would print the necessary template by inputting the intersectingtubes and their angles. So, by utilizing Pythagoras Theorem we can figure the angles and leg length, thenusing the cycle building program we can produce a very accurate template forcoping a nicely fitted joint. Ive not tried this yet, but he has and it lookslike it works great. We even found some free coping calculators on the webthis one seems pretty straightforward. http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgiCoping seems to be fairly simple with thin walled and small diameter tubing, butit is much more difficult (and potentially costly) with large diameter and heavywalled tubing. I hope this will keep me from scrapping my material.--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Amsafetyc
I'm not sure that I'm clear on you "OD not important" comment, Jim. If one wereto cut the OD to the ID measurement, it might become important, right? I mean,depending on which side of the angle you may be working on, it would seemthat the ID could be the longer dimension, whereas the opposing side of the anglewould make it the shorter dimension, meaning that you would suddenly be lackingmaterial for a proper fit. I'm told that the template actually accounts for the angle, leaving the greaterdimension for all sides of the fit, therefore allowing material for final shapingafter the finishing cut. Worst case, I suppose that the builder just needsto visualize the fitted application and anticipate where to cut and where NOTto cut (all the way to the line) in order to achieve the proper fit, but Iwould think that the OD would be the important measurement since that is wherewe are applying the template. I mean, if we were to apply the ID measurements,the template wouldn't even fit around the tube, especially where a thick wallwere being used. On my previous thought... another way to eliminate the ID/OD difference is to indicatethe proper tube diameter, but input a thin wall, say .035 (or less) insteadof .120 or whatever may be used.--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "echobravo4"
Fred Hi from EnglandI have been flying a Corben Junior with brazed 4130 frame. It was built at least50 years ago.A few weeks ago I had a violent crash in the aircraft and it's now completely writtenoff.My reasoning for replying is that the frame held together at all brazed jointsand although the frame is distorted and bent no brazing looks to have split orfailed.I cant give you any details on brazing type as I didn't construct but it was aUSA build.The strength afforded by the 4130 fuselage frame is incredible and I would seekout that type of construction again.Wood too is impressive for strength and has probably an advantage of absorbingshock. It's a debate we'll end now!!!As an aside. some small structural repairs and modifications I have made over theyears and TIG was used in all those cases but not in area of braze directly.RegardsGerry________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
I wouldn't say cross-laced wheelsare just for use with brakes- it makes a much stronger wheel- radial lacedwheels are not as strong in side loads.Probably more info than anyone needs-but this is an excellent book on the subjectThe Bicycle WheelJobst Brandt--------Earl BrownI may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where Iintended to be.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gerry Holland
I learned a valuable lesson about spokes long ago. I had ventured an attempt toadjust the spokes on my motorcycle so I began the process of harmonic evaluation.Tapping the spokes for sound the same ting sound at each Every time Igot a thud I tightened the spoke by the time I finished, I could wave at the wheeland it would wave back at me. I never knew a rim could become oblong, wavyand rub the frame and swing in so many places all at the same time. I had a friend come over and rescue me it took hours to correct what took minutesto screw up. From then on I swore off spokes and spoke adjustment. It's betterto call uncle than to venture that far into the unknown. Uncle didn't havea clue on fixing it either. A lesson learned and a process respected to those who have the know how to keepa wheel round and trueJohnNot gonna do it!Sent from my iPhoneOn Oct 11, 2012, at 9:43 PM, "echobravo4" wrote:> > John> I'll let you know when I'm ready to start> no the wheels and you can get ahold of> "That guy"!> > --------> Earl Brown> > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up whereI intended to be.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 152#385152> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John Fastnaught"
Jack,Here is some good info on wire spoked wheels, http://www.westcoastpiet.com/wire_wheels.htmTo answer your questions specifically:1. Steel vs. aluminum rims - Use aluminum if you can find them for the weight savings. The rims are a small percentage of the total weight of the wheel so using steel won't be a deal breaker.2. SS vs. chrome spokes - My vote goes to SS. It's an airplane operating on grass and dirt. Your wheels will take some abuse and they will get marked up.3. 40 vs. 36 spokes - Let your rim selection determine spoke number. You may find 36 spoke rims are more common than 40 spoke rims.Greg CardinalMinneapolis----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Claude Corbett
A large part of what I plan to do with mine once completed is to Teach the economicallychallenged, youth, and veterans. I think as pilots, the greatest giftwe have is to share the joy of flight, and if it gets more people interestedin vintage aircraft and home building, all the better. I am putting an altimeter,airspeed indicator, and compass in my front pit, as well as an intercom andmodified Chinese flying helmets and throat microphones for communications. Andbefore any reg-nazis start freaking out, I will at most ask for half of theoperating cost for the aircraft, if that. If it hadn't been for generous peoplein my youth, I wouldn't be where I am now, so I figure if I can pass it on,I should.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Wheels
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick
Tom,The links appear to be fixed.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wheels
matronics

> Re: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Chad Johnson
> Subject: Re: Wheels>>> >I am using 21" motorcycly rims- I havent got a clue what they are off of,I> >just called the local bike wrecker and told him I wanted 2 matchingspoked> >front rims, 20" or larger. He called me back today and said $75 (cdn) a> >piece for excellent condition, $50 for need some work types- I'll be> picking> >them up next saturday.> >> >Mike> >> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
>> Subject: Re: Wheels>>>>>> >I am using 21" motorcycly rims- I havent got a clue what they are offof,>I>> >just called the local bike wrecker and told him I wanted 2 matching>spoked>> >front rims, 20" or larger. He called me back today and said $75 (cdn) a>> >piece for excellent condition, $50 for need some work types- I'll be>> picking>> >them up next saturday.>> >>> >Mike>> >>> >>>>>________________________________________________________________________________