Pietenpol-List: roller links was(Re: A real message!)

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: roller links was(Re: A real message!)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: bellissimod(at)cs.lsl.litton.com
John, and others. Your description obout the roller links is just what I did too. I went down to the local bearing supply house with a piece of cable I had put an eye into to see how things sized up. I came out with to very acceptable links. I choose two sizes. I use the RS41 rated average strength of 2640lbs for the control linkages such as aileron controls, and the RS50 (7050lbs, way overkill I know) for the flying wire to structure connection. The pins on the RS50 are just larger than 3/16" in diameter. From the Aircraft Spruce Catalog 1/8" stainless cable load rating is 1790lbs and the AN115 -21 ($3.85) shackle is 2100lbs. I feel comfortable with using these links. If you use the RS41 in a cable to cable connection it does not need any shims (washers) The RS50 is much bigger and I used washers as shims to keep the loads straight like John. For the RS41's I paid $.55 and the RS50's were a whopping $.70 each.Stevee> Steve,> > Here is a shot at a reply.> > I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in my ship in> leiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remember correctly,> they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In other> words they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or a buck> and a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.> > The only drawback I have seen is that they are not quite shaped perfectly for> the job. These look a little screwy if they are pulled at an angle rather> than in a straight line. This is probably not a serious problem. I have put> a few AN flat washers on the link to kind of shim out some of the space.> > What do y'all think about this? It would be interesting to hear some more> discussion.> > Happy Thanksgiving!> > John________________________________________________________________________________