Pietenpol-List: Wings and glue (continued)

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Wings and glue (continued)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: JGreenlee(at)aol.com
Thanks for the input, Steve. I am in the process of cutting a couple ofnew cross members to shrink the hole to 3/4 inch. It seems a lot of fussfor a quarter inch, but I see any bending load being applied only yothat 1/4 inch gap on the top and bottom cap strip.I did some kitchen chemistry with the T-88. I know there are a lot ofplanes with significantamounts of that epoxy in them, but I am going topass on using it. I put some glued capstrip in the oven (24 hour cure prior) then took thetemperature up to 150 degrees F for one hour. No problem! Fiber broke,not the glue line. I then took some test strips up to 180 degrees F for 1 hour. I couldpush my finger nail into the glue bead with relative ease. One testpiece broke fibre, another had 50% glue line separation. I did notsimulate 3 hours or more as what could be expected on a hot summer day.The wife was complaining about all that energy being used to heat foursmall pieces of wood! Some of the literature that I found says thattemperatures up to 240F are possible in a wing. If I had to use it, Iwould sure want a light colour reflective wing to keep the temperaturesdown.Earlier on, I tossed question out on the use of Timber-Tix out ofBelgium. It reads nice, but a query into the EAA got an unofficial "Notrecommended" Hopefully they will get some of the test data published.The package indicates upper temperature is 100 degees F for its use. Iwill try to return the two tubes that I purchased. If not, I willprobably forward to the EAA, as they were having trouble gettingsamples.Right now I am asking Transport Canada for a current ruling on Aerolitein Canada. It, and urea formaldehyde glues are not recommended inAustralia anymore. I would hate to start gluing and find I could not getthe plane certified!Anyway, 1200 (approx) pieces cut and ready! Got to glue soon!Merry Christmas to everybody, and thanks for all the help!________________________________________________________________________________