Pietenpol-List: Re: direct drive inline 4s

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
I've had this idea for a while of building a Piet with an inline4 that would be newer than a model A. The engine I had in mindis the NAPS-Z engine used in Nissan light trucks in the mid 80s.It's about 2 litres with a thin iron/alloy block, aluminum heads,forged alloy crank, duplex chain cam drive, and the best feature;DUAL IGNITION.Yup, two plugs per cylinder. The stock system has an 8-wiredistributor. You could install a vertex mag in the distributorhole for one set of plugs and possibly adapt a mag drive offthe camshaft end to run the other set. No electrical systemnecessary.It would be interesting to see the power curve for this motor. Ifit could be made to make 60-70 hp at 2700 rpm direct drive, and weigh no more than the model A, that could be just the ticket.Anybody else with similar ideas?John Kahn ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
John Kahn wrote: I've had this idea for a while of building a Piet with an inline 4 that would be newer than a model A. The engine I had in mind is the NAPS-Z engine used in Nissan light trucks in the mid 80s. It's about 2 litres with a thin iron/alloy block, aluminum heads, forged alloy crank, duplex chain cam drive, and the best feature; DUAL IGNITION. Yup, two plugs per cylinder. The stock system has an 8-wire distributor. You could install a vertex mag in the distributor hole for one set of plugs and possibly adapt a mag drive off the camshaft end to run the other set. No electrical system necessary. It would be interesting to see the power curve for this motor. If it could be made to make 60-70 hp at 2700 rpm direct drive, and weigh no more than the model A, that could be just the ticket. Anybody else with similar ideas? John Kahn I have been driving nissan pickups for about 10 years and I have hadthis same idea. The Z engines seem like a natural fit for airplanes,but that is just my uneducated opinion. I have had 4 Nissan trucks -3of them had the dual ignition engine. I though that it was reallycool. The most recent truck that I bought however doesn't have the dualanymore. I think they changed back in 90'. I'm not sure of the powercurve, but it might be about what you guess.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________