Pietenpol-List: Return to discussion list

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Return to discussion list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dswagler(at)cobkf.ang.af.mil
Hey Steve, thanks for putting me back on the list. I was going through withdrawalsfor the last couple of months without it.Just a quick project update, I have the metal control horns formed but notwelded yet. Ribs going together, 20 complete 8 left. I'm using Aerolite for the ribs.Some people ask me "Why are you using Aerolite; the Australian'sbanned it's use?" My response to that is: My airplane will never fly inAustralia!Regards, and thanks again.Greg CardinalMinneapolis________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Return to discussion list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Greg Cardinal
Hi Greg,Glad I'm not the only "crazy" one. I am using the aerolite glue because ithas had a tried and proven reputation. The hardest thing so far was todecide on which glue to use!. I am taking precautions though, and am verycareful to plan the gluing sequence, and double check the glue and catalystare where they should be. Efforts have been very positive so far. I alsoasked Transport Canada for a ruling on acceptability before starting. Theygave it in writing, so if the regulations up here change, I can avoid theflap.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Ian,Why did you pick aerolite over some of the other adhesives, such as T-88?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Hi,> Hi Greg,> Glad I'm not the only "crazy" one. I am using the aerolite glue because it> has had a tried and proven reputation. The hardest thing so far was to> decide on which glue to use!. I am taking precautions though, and am very> careful to plan the gluing sequence, and double check the glue and catalyst> are where they should be. Efforts have been very positive so far. I also> asked Transport Canada for a ruling on acceptability before starting. They> gave it in writing, so if the regulations up here change, I can avoid the> flap.Here in Calgary, the hot item in adhesives is Timbertix. I understand that itgoes by the name Gorrilla Glue in the States. It's a single part glue thatuses the moisture in the air and wood as a catalyst. Of course, using water asa catalyst is different from being water soluable. It's like epoxy when itsets being very hard and it doesn't react to anything we've thrown at it sofar. The neat thing is that the excess glue "bubbles" out from the jointforming a substance like an extremely hard foam that's easily sanded off. Thelocal Transport Canada has endorsed the use of it on homebuilts.Ken________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> dswagler(at)cobkf.ang.af.mil
I did a serious study of Aerolite, Timbertix, T-88, resorcinol etc. Iactually did some tests on all of them, and ruled out resorcinol on highclamping pressure, mess, and lack of gap filling capability. T-88disqualified itself by an oven test where at 150F, the glue softenedsignificantly, and at 175F there was some evidence of glue line failure.The Timbertix was not recommended by a national research foundation(privileged info).That left aerolite with a caution to get the hardener on one side and glueon the other, ie detailed gluing procedures, plus a good reputation onmosquito bombers in the second world war...they go a little faster than thePiet. The glue joints cannot be boiled, but I have no intention of doingthat. I have a nice table in my constructors log that I developed if youwant it. Transport Canada gave the OK to both aerolite and T-88. Hope thishelps. any comments would be appreciated.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ken Beanlands
Ken, I got into a major testing lab in the US and they do not recommend it(unofficially). It would be nice if this info could get to the EAA, as theyare also cautious. I would have liked to use it, but....
matronics

> Return to discussion list

Post by matronics »

> > Hey Steve,> thanks for putting me back on the list. I was going through withdrawals> for the last couple of months without it.> Just a quick project update, I have the metal control horns formed butnot> welded yet. > Ribs going together, 20 complete 8 left. I'm using Aerolite for the ribs.> Some people ask me "Why are you using Aerolite; the Australian's> banned it's use?" My response to that is: My airplane will never fly in> Australia!> > Regards, and thanks again.> > Greg Cardinal> Minneapolis________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Return to discussion list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
> > Ian,> > Why did you pick aerolite over some of the other adhesives, such as T-88?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Return to discussion list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
> > Hi,> > > Hi Greg,> > Glad I'm not the only "crazy" one. I am using the aerolite glue becauseit> > has had a tried and proven reputation. The hardest thing so far was to> > decide on which glue to use!. I am taking precautions though, and amvery> > careful to plan the gluing sequence, and double check the glue andcatalyst> > are where they should be. Efforts have been very positive so far. Ialso> > asked Transport Canada for a ruling on acceptability before starting.They> > gave it in writing, so if the regulations up here change, I can avoidthe> > flap.> > Here in Calgary, the hot item in adhesives is Timbertix. I understandthat it> goes by the name Gorrilla Glue in the States. It's a single part gluethat> uses the moisture in the air and wood as a catalyst. Of course, usingwater as> a catalyst is different from being water soluable. It's like epoxy whenit> sets being very hard and it doesn't react to anything we've thrown at itso> far. The neat thing is that the excess glue "bubbles" out from the joint> forming a substance like an extremely hard foam that's easily sanded off.The> local Transport Canada has endorsed the use of it on homebuilts.> > Ken> > > ________________________________________________________________________________