Pietenpol-List: Hand Start!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Hand Start!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Hmmm Let's see... Open the throttle, make her hot, turn the prop and runlike the devil! I remember when an old crop dusting friend went to handprop my fathersT-craft. One prop, two struts, one wing and one pickup truck later hedecided that a good strong rope would have been to his advantage. Mr.Murphy will win every time, if something can go wrong... What are some of the methods you guys are using for windshields? I seeflat three piece, curved one piece and a goggles only affair on one. (Idon't care for bug juice that much).Gary________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Hand Start!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Cardinal
> What are some of the methods you guys are using for windshields? I see>flat three piece, curved one piece and a goggles only affair on one. (I>don't care for bug juice that much).>>Gary>Gary,We have three flat pieces. Simple and seems to work. Easy to replace ifyou his a bird or big mosquito.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary McArthur
Gary,I just used screen door plex. from the hardware store. Don Pietenpol has a pattern he will send you. It's a one piece affair just bent around. I did use a heat lamp to get them set in the right shape. I also redid them about 2" higher so the wind doesn't hit my forehead.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
>Can you explain in more detail? Did you use a mold or what? What all isinvolved in this?John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
John,The plex. I used would bend without heating it, but it looked like it was stressed a lot so I just warmed up to make it easier to hold the ends down. I made up a jig to hold the plex in the same curve as when it is mounted on the aircraft and used a heat lamp on the center for a couple of hours. I made 3 angle brackets for each windscreen. Plumbing washers work well for the contact points where the brackets attach to the plex.Craig________________________________________________________________________________