Pietenpol-List: Elevator / Rudder trailing edge

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Elevator / Rudder trailing edge

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Now that I have all the ribs assembled I'm ready to start on the tailfeathers. How is everyone shaping the trailing edge? Is it a knownradius? Or are you just "eyeballing" and shaping it by hand?Thanks for you help, Greg Cardinal________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Elevator / Rudder trailing edge

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: JGreenlee(at)aol.com
>Now that I have all the ribs assembled I'm ready to start on the tail>feathers. How is everyone shaping the trailing edge? Is it a known>radius? Or are you just "eyeballing" and shaping it by hand?>>Thanks for you help, Greg Cardinal> Greg- I think the plans show a cross-section of how Bernard P.faired his trailing edge pieces on the tailfeathers, but in real life justabout everyone fairs them in to their own liking. Anything from square right off the saw to fully faired can be seen around from myobservations. >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
I did mine with a 1/4 round bit in my router mounted in my work bench. Idon't remember the specific size, but the trailing edge shape like the planswas obtained by using a larger bit than 1/2 the thickness of the t.e. and theoverlap made the appropriate shape. This is difficult to write down in wordsbut easy to do in practice.John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: JGreenlee(at)aol.com
Greg Cardinal wrote:> > Now that I have all the ribs assembled I'm ready to start on the tail> feathers. How is everyone shaping the trailing edge? Is it a known> radius? Or are you just "eyeballing" and shaping it by hand?> > Thanks for you help, Greg CardinalI used the "eyeball" method... I'm sure the result is in keeping withwhat others are doing. That's what makes each Piet a "one off" special:)Gary________________________________________________________________________________