Pietenpol-List: Windscreens

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Windscreens

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Mike,I mailed your VCR tape to Bob Boatwright. We might as well make sure it gets used as much as possible. I got a couple of hours of flying time in this weekend. I should get it in gear and go to Sun and Fun, but it lookd like rain down there this weekend.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Windscreens

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
Craig- neat idea with plumbing washers to cushion your windshieldbrackets. Thank God for Tony Bingelis' books......he tells howto work with Plexi vs. Lexan and the pros and cons of each.The Lexan can be drilled with a regular drill bit and won't cracklike plexi. Lexan can be bent in a sheet metal brake !! I bentmine in the semi-curve with no heat-- just the brackets to holdit in shape. (1/8" thick stuff) Cut it with a sabre saw after makingmany poster board mock-up templates to see how they lookedand fit my forehead room, etc. Tony says the lexan scratcheseasier though. I spent 14 $ and kept the templates in case I needto make new screens someday. Mike c. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
Tony says the lexan scratches> easier though. I spent 14 $ and kept the templates in case I need> to make new screens someday. Mike c. > > Also with Lexan:Do not let any aromatic solvents get on it, including gasoline.It does scratch a lot easier, so don't use paper towels to polish it.Materials that work fine on plexi with make very fine scratches inLexan. Get a pack of flannel diapers as windshield polishers. They'reperfect. A friend has a lexan windshield on his HP 14 sailplane, andit seems to develop scratches with nothing more than a dirty look.It's so easy to fabricate though, it's probably worth the hasslesJohn Kahn________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
>Mike,>>I mailed your VCR tape to Bob Boatwright. We might as well make sure >it gets used as much as possible.Craig- Thank you for saving me the re-dubbing time. It sure helps asI'm in the big push to get this thing in the air before October or so. I got a couple of hours of flying >time in this weekend. I should get it in gear and go to Sun and Fun, >but it lookd like rain down there this weekend. Wow- You mean fly down in the Piet or Cessna ? I've never been down there. Is it any good ? I think I'm startingto get tired of the over-commercialization at Oshkosh--but it stillis the best thing going to date !Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Mike,I think they are both about the same.Craig________________________________________________________________________________