Pietenpol-List: PIET: Wood questions

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: PIET: Wood questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com
I bought a Piet project and in doing some checking and measuring, discoveredthat the gussets and fus. sides are 1/16" instead of the 3/32" called for onthe plans. I know this is only 1/32" thinner, but is this OK?I had a tech. advisor look at it and he passed it with flying colors. Doesany piet builders have a comment?Should I junk it, or build it?BarryBy the way, all the rest is Douglas Fir.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: PIET: Wood questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
Barry Davis wrote:> I bought a Piet project and in doing some checking and measuring,> discovered> that the gussets and fus. sides are 1/16" instead of the 3/32" called> for on> the plans. I know this is only 1/32" thinner, but is this OK?>> I had a tech. advisor look at it and he passed it with flying colors.> Does> any piet builders have a comment?>> Should I junk it, or build it?>> Barry>> By the way, all the rest is Douglas Fir. Barry,This is a difficult question to answer sight unseen. I used 1/8"gussets on the fuse. I don't think that you ought to disqualify yourfuse just because it has 1/16" gussets, however I could be wrong.Having a tech counselor look at it is a much more objective opinionbecause he can look for other things that might add up to a problemfuse. (I.E. improper squeeze out of glue, type of glue used,dimensions of the gussets, general craftsmanship, joinery, etc.)Pietenpol's designs are over designed. Under built they still might bestrong enough, but the final call is the builder/pilot's. This is thereason I didn't bother with scaling down my fir parts. I'll take theweight penalty (which by the way is going to be negligible ~5lbs) andtake the extra strength. I understand your concern, but the best youwill probably be able to do is get the opinion of tech counselors andother builders, (like you are doing) or do the finite element analysis.Good Luck,Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________