Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex coatings

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex coatings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kevin McDonald
> >> A Wagner or similar airless spray gun will give a beautiful satiny> finish> with semi gloss latex. Rather like the "classic" dope finishes.> Gotta> be careful with it.>> I'm not so sure about a finish that develops cracks after a year and a>> half of inside storage though. Any fabric covered wing has a lot of> flex> along the ribs as the fabric bulges up in flight.>> John Kahn Admittedly John, we are not going for show class finishes here. BillBrown did say that the cracks were very small. Not visible unless youare looking very close. I'd like to know if he used tapes over hisribs. I can't imagine that he didn't, but, I'm hoping that withreinforcing tape, rib lacing and 2" wide tapes fully wetted out willminimize flexing in this area. As far as flex agent goes, exteriorlatex is designed to be flexible to meet the demands of heat, humidityand shrinkage of wood on outside surfaces of homes.We will see.Stevee.________________________________________________________________________________