Pietenpol-List: Re: I needed the dimentions of the wooden parts of the

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Hunt
Before you even think of cutting wood GET THE PLANS!!!! The few dollarsthat you spend on the plans will help you organize the project and save$ in the long run. Cutting the wood is about the easiest part of the proj=ect but could be the most expensive. Decide on where you are going to bui=ld the airplane. Most of the parts can be done in a small area. for thefuselage I would suggest building a table 16 feet by four feet. Lay outthe fuselage sides on the table with the upper longerons in the centerand make the table into a jig.Make the small parts first. if you make a mistake, it costs less to rebui=ld it and takes less time. I'd start with the wing ribs. They are relativ=ly easy and small enough that storage isn't a problem and all the woodis rectangular. After the ribs I'd build the tail components. A littlebigger and a little more complex. The leading edges and trailing edgesrequire milling them to shape. Once thats done then it's time for the fus=elage then the wing.On the wing, use the strut attach fittings that are shown on the 3 piecewing supplament and use jury struts.Keep in mind that weight is a very important issue. There can be a 100pound variation in the empty weight of these airplanes. The more it weigh=s, the less performance that can be expected.As for specific sizes of wood required, each airplane is different. I don='t think there are 2 airplanes alike. Even those that follow the plansto the letter will be different due to the jigs that the builder used tobuild them. I don't know of anyone that has a specific bill of materialfor the aircamper since there are several variations (long fuselage/ shor=t fuselage). The dimensions of the wood will also vary from plane to plan=e. An example is the longerons are 1" X 1" on the plans. These pieces are= actualy 15/16" X 15/16" on airplanes that were build by Mr. Pietenpol.As I mentioned in my previous E-Mail all sizes on the plans are nominaland they are actualy to the center of the kerf of the blade.If you want a good flying airplane, follow the plans and keep it light.Use the one piece wing and use a Model A engine. Buy the plans now so you= can make the necessary decisions ahead of time as to which fuselage, ifyou want the extended strut length (front cockpit acessability), landinggear design and several other variables. Live with the plans for a whilebefore you start making parts. Once you start cutting parts out it's hard= to change.I hope this helps you. I know i didn't answer your question but if youcut wood before you have the plans you will wish you did it the other way= around.One more comment, use Sitka Spruce rather than Douglas Fir. It's lighter.= It may cost more but you will have a better airplane.>> I didnt make it clear what I needed but I need the size demintions onall> the wood parts in the piet so we can start cutting them out . As of now> we are having to save money to buy the plans you see.>> Thank you> Emelita W>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: classair(at)frontiernet.net (David Schober)
<< Subj: Re: I needed the dimentions of the wooden parts of the piet. Date: 97-08-03 09:09:39 EDT