Pietenpol-List: Do I taper the tail?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Do I taper the tail?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Cardinal
I'm in the process of milling the lumber for the tail surfaces. I havenoticed that theleading edge and the main beam are different thicknesses. Does this meanthat the endcaps for the horizontal stabilizer and the elevators have to be tapered tomatch theleading and trailing edges?If I have to taper the end caps it will be a complicated operation sincethe rabbet willneed a different taper than the outer dimensions. (The thickness goes from3/4" at theleading edge to 1" at the main beam. The rabbet goes from 1/2" at the LEto 5/8" atthe main beam.)An alternate method would be to go in with a chisel and match all therabbets so thegusset plates would match up, then use a plane and sandpaper to fair allthe mis-alignedouter surfaces. This would be easier, since there is only an 1/8" to 1/16"differencein these dimensions throughout the tail.How have other folks done this?Thanks in advance.Randy Stockbergerstockberger(at)proaxis.comCorvallis, ORRandy Stockbergerstockberger(at)proaxis.com________________________________________________________________________________