Pietenpol-List: Owners Manual

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Owners Manual

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "ernest l. hagness"
Has an owners manual been made for the Piet, either when it was designed or over the years? In other words, a book that lists Va, Vs, Vne, preflight procedures, emergency procedures, mainenance, etc...? Does one come with the plans?Richard ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Owners Manual

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael D Cuy
Actually, my question had more to do with flight operations than building. Once the plane is done, has a set of flying procedures been produced by anyone? For exemple, when I got my pilot's liscence, I had to know every page of the Cessna 152 & 172 Owner's Manuals, which included evrything from a Pre-Flight checklist to V-speeds to weight and balance. I tend to be a somewhat anal, "by-the-book" kind of pilot (my obsession with safety is famous at the flight school at PWM) and would LOVE to see this kind of book for the Piet. If not, well, I may just have to write my own... :)Richard > Richard- Donald Pietenpol has compiled a manual of facts,> history,> and tips on Model A conversions but it is not a detailed building or> flight manual. You will find that the plans are complete but > still leave you room for solving some things on your own.> I spend alot of time just thinking thru how I'd like to do the> next step or in which order. > As some of us here have said previously we have never seen two> Pietenpols built alike. (Even Pietenpol himself didn't build two> alike.) They all look, feel, and fly just a little bit different from > each other. Pietenpol's goal in design and building was to> keep it simple and light weight. If you keep your thinking like> that you'll end up with a wonderful airplane.> > Mike C. >
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Rich,I have a friend that is really into performance numbers. He was askingme what my max criuse is and I must admit that I have been having somuch fun flying I haven't been real exact about numbers. Maybe a Peit isnot a real exact aircraft? Anyway I think I am getting about 67mph at1900rpm. 500fpm at 50 and just a little better than 75 wide open. At ahigh angle of attack the AS is not accurate, but the piet gives me lotsof notice that I getting slow. Even in a drastic slip the back winggently start to drop if I get too slow. In fact some bugs got in thepeto(sp) tube. Didn't notice on preflight. I got several landings betterthan normal without AS. Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
>Has an owners manual been made for the Piet, either when it was >designed or over the years? In other words, a book that lists Va, Vs, >Vne, preflight procedures, emergency procedures, maintenance, etc...? >Does one come with the plans?>>Richard Richard- Donald Pietenpol has compiled a manual of facts,history,and tips on Model A conversions but it is not a detailed building orflight manual. You will find that the plans are complete but still leave you room for solving some things on your own.I spend alot of time just thinking thru how I'd like to do thenext step or in which order. As some of us here have said previously we have never seen twoPietenpols built alike. (Even Pietenpol himself didn't build twoalike.) They all look, feel, and fly just a little bit different from each other. Pietenpol's goal in design and building was tokeep it simple and light weight. If you keep your thinking likethat you'll end up with a wonderful airplane.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: clawler
Richard, Because the Piet was designed so long ago, before the federalgovernment was so involved, and because as stated earlier each Piet is alittle different, there hasn't been an end-all performance sheet oroperations manual written. Every builder ends up creating their own.Be it in their mind or on paper. If you write one for your ship it maynot apply to mine. I have been told by those who have flown both that the Pietflies more like a Jenny than any other ship and there's an old adage forthe Jenny that states "There are only three rules to flying the Jenny;1) Keep your airspeed up. 2) Keep your airspeed up. 3) Keep yourairspeed up." When dealing with a Pietenpol, you are truly transportedback to the early days of flying. Thank heavens!Bill________________________________________________________________________________