Pietenpol-List: Landing gear cost

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Landing gear cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brad Schultz
Getting down to the point of having to make a decision on what feet toinstall on the bird. So far, it will be metal, with brakes. However, when Ilook at the traditional cost of applying 6" wheels and cleveland brakes, Icome up with a cost of about $650.00. Has anyone got a source of alternatematerials that is not so pricey? (And that will hold up)? The plans callfor a one inch stub axle, but most of the prchased wheels are 3/4" or 5/8". I am starting to get confused again, so I thought I would see what thegroup is using as alternates.Any comments?Thanks, and Happy New Year!-=Ian=-________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Landing gear cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
Ian Holland wrote:> Getting down to the point of having to make a decision on what feet to>> install on the bird. So far, it will be metal, with brakes. However,> when I> look at the traditional cost of applying 6" wheels and cleveland> brakes, I> come up with a cost of about $650.00. Has anyone got a source of> alternate> materials that is not so pricey? (And that will hold up)? The plans> call> for a one inch stub axle, but most of the prchased wheels are 3/4" or> 5/8> ". I am starting to get confused again, so I thought I would see what> the> group is using as alternates.> Any comments?> Thanks, and Happy New Year!> -=Ian=-I used Matco 6" wheels and hydrolic brakes. They manufacture forhomebuilts and I really like the quality. They are much likeclevelands, but cheaper. Not sure what prices are now. Check them outat WWW.MATCOMFG.COM. I used the W62 model. with the 3/4" axles. Youhave to choose before welding the gear to match the axles. DuaneWoolsey used the 8" azuza (?) wheel on his plane with the manual brakesand a 5/8" axle. Functional, but not really suitable for non hardsurface runways. check my web site for a pic of his wheels. (and mine)The long and short is.... Unless you build up your own wheels a lamotocycle derivitive, this will be one of the larger one-time outlays ofcash. I guess you could also scrounge for used cessna/piper/etc sets aswell. I saw main gear for a cessna find a home on a Christavia MK 4 forabout $400. (catch that Ken?)Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge
Thanks a lot Steve! I browsed the Matco web site and it helped a lot! Any idea (guestimate)what your package cost? I am also assuming that you have two mastercylinders (MC6) for differential braking. Thanks loads! I guess everyone isrecovering from the holidays as the chat line has been pretty quiet. Ineeded a new belly pan for my Yellow Labas she managed to impale herself on a stump while retrieving a stick. Goodfor 20 stitches and $368.00. She needed the belly repairs as a priority!After all the First Aid courses taken at work over the years, I finally gotto apply the knowledge. Just like building a Piet, I guess, follow theinstructions and it all works out!My next project will be a sidecar for my motorcycle so that my dog can getto the airport with me.Best regards,-=Ian=-
matronics

> Re: Landing gear cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry L. Neal"
> > Ian Holland wrote:> > > Getting down to the point of having to make a decision on what feet to> >> > install on the bird. So far, it will be metal, with brakes. However,> > when I> > look at the traditional cost of applying 6" wheels and cleveland> > brakes, I> > come up with a cost of about $650.00. Has anyone got a source of> > alternate> > materials that is not so pricey? (And that will hold up)? The plans> > call> > for a one inch stub axle, but most of the prchased wheels are 3/4" or> > 5/8> > ". I am starting to get confused again, so I thought I would see what> > the> > group is using as alternates.> > Any comments?> > Thanks, and Happy New Year!> > -=Ian=-> > I used Matco 6" wheels and hydrolic brakes. They manufacture for> homebuilts and I really like the quality. They are much like> clevelands, but cheaper. Not sure what prices are now. Check them out> at WWW.MATCOMFG.COM. I used the W62 model. with the 3/4" axles. You> have to choose before welding the gear to match the axles. Duane> Woolsey used the 8" azuza (?) wheel on his plane with the manual brakes> and a 5/8" axle. Functional, but not really suitable for non hard> surface runways. check my web site for a pic of his wheels. (and mine)> > The long and short is.... Unless you build up your own wheels a la> motocycle derivitive, this will be one of the larger one-time outlays of> cash. I guess you could also scrounge for used cessna/piper/etc sets as> well. I saw main gear for a cessna find a home on a Christavia MK 4 for> about $400. (catch that Ken?)> > Stevee> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Eric Ulmer
Does anybody want to try some 5.00 x 5 Clevelands? I have a complete setof used wheels, tires, brakes, axles and master cylinders off of a (ugh)Long-Eze. This is a complete system minus only the brake lines andpedals. They are in good used condition. (If you want a little largertire, you can buy 6.00 x 5 tires to fit these wheels.) The axles are a standard four bolt flange. Everything was perfectlyfunctional when the guy parted the airplane out. I am putting spokewheels on my new piet project and will not need these. I would take thefirst $250 I could get. (or interesting Pietenpol parts trades)I'm at seibert.swbell.net so if anybody wants these, let me know. I'mlocated in the Austin, TX area if anybody wants to drop in. By the way, the 5.00 x 5's actually work just fine on grass strips so ifya want a piet (or anything else) with small tires, these ought to workas-is. Bob Seibert(512) 365-8918________________________________________________________________________________