Pietenpol-List: Re: Control horns -Reply

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
They aren't as difficult as it first looks. I cut out blanks to the rough shapeand left a small tab on each end. I then stacked the blanks and weldedthem together at the tabs. Now, using a chop saw, belt sander, hacksawand file they can be finished to the proper shape. Leave the tabs on theends until the rest of it is shaped. Cut off the tabs and you now have 4blanks cut identically. To make the airfoil shape I clamped the blanks to apiece of steel that had a nice radiused edge and formed them using ahammer and wood block to prevent hammer marks. The thin materialsprings back a lot so use lots of clamps.Greg C.>>> "William C. Beerman" 03/06/98 07:11am >>>As a "just beginning" builder, the one part of the Pietenpol design that I have been somewhat suspicious of is the fabrication of the control horns from 22 GA. sheet metal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this,or tips on forming and welding these relatively complex shapes?---- Begin Included Message -----Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 23:01:47 -0500 (EST)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Greg Cardinal
Thanks for the good info, Greg! One more question- what weldingtechnique did you use on these horns? The large MIG welder I've been practicing on (a 300 Amp Miller machine), when turned down low enough to not burn through, no longer suports a reliable arc. I'm learninggas welding, and that's difficult also on this thin metal.> Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:13:48 -0600
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> William C. Beerman
The gas welding is not so bad at 4 psig and 4 psig, neutral flame and a"00" tip. Excellent video put out by the EAA on gas welding. Lots ofpractice and vice tests give you confidence pretty quick!
matronics

> Re: Control horns -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ted Brousseau
matronics

> Re: Control horns -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Greg Cardinal
> > Thanks for the good info, Greg! One more question- what welding> technique did you use on these horns? The large MIG welder I've been > practicing on (a 300 Amp Miller machine), when turned down low enough > to not burn through, no longer suports a reliable arc. I'm learning> gas welding, and that's difficult also on this thin metal.> > > Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:13:48 -0600
matronics

> > Re: Control horns -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Ted Brousseau