Pietenpol-List: 0-290G for Pietenpol

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I got agood deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flangeon the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints. I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great, Thanks much Robert Bozeman________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 0-290G for Pietenpol

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "alan.green"
Robert,If you are going to go from 65 hp to 125 hp you had better do somecalculations for stress and tail volume. The O-290 only weighs the sameas the Ford "A" but the added horsepower will put additional stress onthe structure. The additional power will cause problems with directionalcontrol unless you increase the verticle fin area.As far as your question about distance to prop flange, that dimension hasno relavence. The point you need to look for is the CG lacation of theengine prop combination and mount the new engine at the same CG location.I hope this helps.David SchoberEli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I got a> good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,>> Thanks much Robert Bozeman>> --David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard DeCosta"
Flying with 120 hp engine would make the piet a completely differentairplane. I would like to fly one to find out, but I imagine that TO wouldbe immediate, climb would be spectacular, cruise would be increase by 5mph:) Don't know that the piet would suffer problems with tail volume however.90-100 hp would seem ideal. You could always throttle back I guess.Steve E.-----Original Message-----alan.greenSent: Thursday, October 15, 1998 9:48 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Re: 0-290G for PietenpolPlease explain. How did you run out of power with 65 horses?>> Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I got a> good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,>> Thanks much Robert Bozeman>> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
Please explain. How did you run out of power with 65 horses?>> Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I got a> good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,>> Thanks much Robert Bozeman>> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ed Nolan
You take off from a 6000' runway with 2(150lb.each) on borad and 8or 10 gals. of fuel on borad, at about 80-85 degrees and then startwondering if your going to get over those power lines, with alittlemore power you don't eventhink about power lines, a friend of my put a0-200 on his Piet and it made all the differace in the world We'erboth running 72x42 props and my plane wieghs out 648 lbs..But other than that I just love my Piet, I've got 105 TT on hernow,,,,I guess what it is, Is I don't like 100 or 200 ft. per min.climb!!!!!anyway I wont ever sell my PietRobert---"alan.green" wrote:>> Please explain. How did you run out of power with 65 horses?> > ----------> >> > Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! Igot a> > good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> > or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> > on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> > I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,> >> > Thanks much Robert Bozeman> >> > > >> > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Hatz630(at)aol.com
Davis B. SchoberBack when I first built my aircamper I had lots of problems with vert.fin. I ended up adding 45 sq. inches to tail, this helped me out ahole lot. I've had it in 20 kts. strieght cross wind, don't recomendto get in such a x-wind but it can be done safely,in a pinch..Afew weeks ago a friend of mine put a 0-200 on his Piet. and what a differance that made, no more wondering if your goingto get over that wire or out of a short fieldas far as CG on Piet, when your building old Piet you can move themain wing for or aft to maintain propor CGFor the lighter Cont 65 you aft aprox. 3 1/2-41/2" back, for heaveyford cabanes are strieght up and downI talk to members in the BPA about differant engines used on thePiet---anywhere from 39hp--------220hp.could use some more discussion on what I'm doingthanks Robert B.---"David B. Schober" wrote:>> Robert,> If you are going to go from 65 hp to 125 hp you had better do some> calculations for stress and tail volume. The O-290 only weighs thesame> as the Ford "A" but the added horsepower will put additional stress on> the structure. The additional power will cause problems withdirectional> control unless you increase the verticle fin area.> > As far as your question about distance to prop flange, thatdimension has> no relavence. The point you need to look for is the CG lacation of the> engine prop combination and mount the new engine at the same CGlocation.> > I hope this helps.> > David Schober> > Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> > > Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! Igot a> > good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> > or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> > on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> > I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,> >> > Thanks much Robert Bozeman> >> > > > > > --> >> > David B.Schober, CPE> Instructor, Aviation Maintenance> Fairmont State College> National Aerospace Education Center> Rt. 3 Box 13> Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503> (304) 842-8300> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: michael list
My partner and I are going to plant at Poseche 914 2.2 litre , 115 hp in aPiet . ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter P Frantz
220 hp on a Piet! That must have had some climb performance.I've flown "A" powered, Corvair powered and A-65 powered Piets. The Corvair and"A" I flew solo and the A-65 dual. When I flew the A-65 powered Piet dual it wasearly morning, summer, 400-500 foot field elevation. Climb performance was aboutthe same or a little better than a Champ. I weigh about 220 and the person withme was about 130. I can sympothize with you about density altitude and climbperformance. I've been hauling rides out of a 3200 ft elevation strip here in WVthis summer. Thank God for tthe supercharger on the R985 or the Howard would havehad a hard time on those days with density altitudes over 5000'.To get the best performance out of the Piet is to keep the airframe as light aspossible. The structure is overbuilt for a low hp engine but with the O-290 beconservitive. The fact that you already added area to the verticle fin is good.Keep us posted on your progress.David SchoberEli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> Davis B. Schober> Back when I first built my aircamper I had lots of problems with vert.> fin. I ended up adding 45 sq. inches to tail, this helped me out a> hole lot. I've had it in 20 kts. strieght cross wind, don't recomend> to get in such a x-wind but it can be done safely,in a pinch..>> Afew weeks ago a friend of mine put a 0-200 on his> Piet. and what a differance that made, no more wondering if your going> to get over that wire or out of a short field>> as far as CG on Piet, when your building old Piet you can move the> main wing for or aft to maintain propor CG> For the lighter Cont 65 you aft aprox. 3 1/2-41/2" back, for heavey> ford cabanes are strieght up and down>> I talk to members in the BPA about differant engines used on the> Piet---anywhere from 39hp--------220hp.> could use some more discussion on what I'm doing>> thanks Robert B.>> ---"David B. Schober" wrote:> >> > Robert,> > If you are going to go from 65 hp to 125 hp you had better do some> > calculations for stress and tail volume. The O-290 only weighs the> same> > as the Ford "A" but the added horsepower will put additional stress on> > the structure. The additional power will cause problems with> directional> > control unless you increase the verticle fin area.> >> > As far as your question about distance to prop flange, that> dimension has> > no relavence. The point you need to look for is the CG lacation of the> > engine prop combination and mount the new engine at the same CG> location.> >> > I hope this helps.> >> > David Schober> >> > Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> >> > > Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I> got a> > > good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> > > or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> > > on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> > > I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,> > >> > > Thanks much Robert Bozeman> > >> > > > >> >> >> > --> >> >> >> > David B.Schober, CPE> > Instructor, Aviation Maintenance> > Fairmont State College> > National Aerospace Education Center> > Rt. 3 Box 13> > Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503> > (304) 842-8300> >> >> >> >> >>> --David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
David:You mentioned that you flew a Piet with Corvair power. do you recall which typeof engine it was (as in horsepower rating), and how was the performance? Howwas the performance compared to the A-65?Mark Boynton, Phoenix, AZ --On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:52:08 David B. Schober wrote:>220 hp on a Piet! That must have had some climb performance.>>I've flown "A" powered, Corvair powered and A-65 powered Piets. The Corvair and>"A" I flew solo and the A-65 dual. When I flew the A-65 powered Piet dual it was>early morning, summer, 400-500 foot field elevation. Climb performance was about>the same or a little better than a Champ. I weigh about 220 and the person with>me was about 130. I can sympothize with you about density altitude and climb>performance. I've been hauling rides out of a 3200 ft elevation strip here inWV>this summer. Thank God for tthe supercharger on the R985 or the Howard would have>had a hard time on those days with density altitudes over 5000'.>>To get the best performance out of the Piet is to keep the airframe as light as>possible. The structure is overbuilt for a low hp engine but with the O-290 be>conservitive. The fact that you already added area to the verticle fin is good.>>Keep us posted on your progress.>>David Schober>>Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:>>> Davis B. Schober>> Back when I first built my aircamper I had lots of problems with vert.>> fin. I ended up adding 45 sq. inches to tail, this helped me out a>> hole lot. I've had it in 20 kts. strieght cross wind, don't recomend>> to get in such a x-wind but it can be done safely,in a pinch..>>>> Afew weeks ago a friend of mine put a 0-200 on his>> Piet. and what a differance that made, no more wondering if your going>> to get over that wire or out of a short field>>>> as far as CG on Piet, when your building old Piet you can move the>> main wing for or aft to maintain propor CG>> For the lighter Cont 65 you aft aprox. 3 1/2-41/2" back, for heavey>> ford cabanes are strieght up and down>>>> I talk to members in the BPA about differant engines used on the>> Piet---anywhere from 39hp--------220hp.>> could use some more discussion on what I'm doing>>>> thanks Robert B.>>>> ---"David B. Schober" wrote:>> >>> > Robert,>> > If you are going to go from 65 hp to 125 hp you had better do some>> > calculations for stress and tail volume. The O-290 only weighs the>> same>> > as the Ford "A" but the added horsepower will put additional stress on>> > the structure. The additional power will cause problems with>> directional>> > control unless you increase the verticle fin area.>> >>> > As far as your question about distance to prop flange, that>> dimension has>> > no relavence. The point you need to look for is the CG lacation of the>> > engine prop combination and mount the new engine at the same CG>> location.>> >>> > I hope this helps.>> >>> > David Schober>> >>> > Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:>> >>> > > Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I>> got a>> > > good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.>> > > or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange>> > > on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.>> > > I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,>> > >>> > > Thanks much Robert Bozeman>> > >>> > > >> >>> >>> >>> > -->> >>> >>> >>> > David B.Schober, CPE>> > Instructor, Aviation Maintenance>> > Fairmont State College>> > National Aerospace Education Center>> > Rt. 3 Box 13>> > Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503>> > (304) 842-8300>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>>> >>>-->>David B.Schober, CPE>Instructor, Aviation Maintenance>Fairmont State College>National Aerospace Education Center>Rt. 3 Box 13>Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503>(304) 842-8300>>http://www.mailexcite.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Hatz630(at)aol.com
The corvair was in NX899H "The Last Original". I don't recall the hp but AndrewPietenpol owns the airplane now and should be able to give you the details. The"A" powered Piet was NX83WK owned by BillKnight. The A-65 powered one was owned by Alex Whitmore, I don't recall the N Number.As far as performance, they seemed to be comperable. The "A" nad the Corvair Iflew solo and the A-65 was dual. It was about 12 to 15 years ago so my memorymay not be accurate, but as I recall, the A-65seemed to have the best performance followed by the "A", then the Corvair. Eventhough the Corvair is supposed to have more HP, that big slow turning prop onthe "A" seems to do a better job. I don't knowif Bill had a basically stock "A" or if it was set up for higher HP.Hope this helps. BTW, I just had someone tell me today that they are giving mean "A" engine. I guess it's time to get serious about building a Piet rather thanjust make comments.Mark Boynton wrote:> David:>> You mentioned that you flew a Piet with Corvair power. do you recall which typeof engine it was (as in horsepower rating), and how was the performance? How was the performance compared to the A-65?>> Mark Boynton, Phoenix, AZ> -->> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:52:08 David B. Schober wrote:> >220 hp on a Piet! That must have had some climb performance.> >> >I've flown "A" powered, Corvair powered and A-65 powered Piets. The Corvairand> >"A" I flew solo and the A-65 dual. When I flew the A-65 powered Piet dual itwas> >early morning, summer, 400-500 foot field elevation. Climb performance was about> >the same or a little better than a Champ. I weigh about 220 and the person with> >me was about 130. I can sympothize with you about density altitude and climb> >performance. I've been hauling rides out of a 3200 ft elevation strip here inWV> >this summer. Thank God for tthe supercharger on the R985 or the Howard wouldhave> >had a hard time on those days with density altitudes over 5000'.> >> >To get the best performance out of the Piet is to keep the airframe as lightas> >possible. The structure is overbuilt for a low hp engine but with the O-290be> >conservitive. The fact that you already added area to the verticle fin is good.> >> >Keep us posted on your progress.> >> >David Schober> >> >Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> >> >> Davis B. Schober> >> Back when I first built my aircamper I had lots of problems with vert.> >> fin. I ended up adding 45 sq. inches to tail, this helped me out a> >> hole lot. I've had it in 20 kts. strieght cross wind, don't recomend> >> to get in such a x-wind but it can be done safely,in a pinch..> >>> >> Afew weeks ago a friend of mine put a 0-200 on his> >> Piet. and what a differance that made, no more wondering if your going> >> to get over that wire or out of a short field> >>> >> as far as CG on Piet, when your building old Piet you can move the> >> main wing for or aft to maintain propor CG> >> For the lighter Cont 65 you aft aprox. 3 1/2-41/2" back, for heavey> >> ford cabanes are strieght up and down> >>> >> I talk to members in the BPA about differant engines used on the> >> Piet---anywhere from 39hp--------220hp.> >> could use some more discussion on what I'm doing> >>> >> thanks Robert B.> >>> >> ---"David B. Schober" wrote:> >> >> >> > Robert,> >> > If you are going to go from 65 hp to 125 hp you had better do some> >> > calculations for stress and tail volume. The O-290 only weighs the> >> same> >> > as the Ford "A" but the added horsepower will put additional stress on> >> > the structure. The additional power will cause problems with> >> directional> >> > control unless you increase the verticle fin area.> >> >> >> > As far as your question about distance to prop flange, that> >> dimension has> >> > no relavence. The point you need to look for is the CG lacation of the> >> > engine prop combination and mount the new engine at the same CG> >> location.> >> >> >> > I hope this helps.> >> >> >> > David Schober> >> >> >> > Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman wrote:> >> >> >> > > Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I> >> got a> >> > > good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.> >> > > or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange> >> > > on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints.> >> > > I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great,> >> > >> >> > > Thanks much Robert Bozeman> >> > >> >> > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > --> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > David B.Schober, CPE> >> > Instructor, Aviation Maintenance> >> > Fairmont State College> >> > National Aerospace Education Center> >> > Rt. 3 Box 13> >> > Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503> >> > (304) 842-8300> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>> >> > >> >> >> >--> >> >David B.Schober, CPE> >Instructor, Aviation Maintenance> >Fairmont State College> >National Aerospace Education Center> >Rt. 3 Box 13> >Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503> >(304) 842-8300> >> >> >> >> >>> http://www.mailexcite.com--David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman
-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kyle Ray
Subject: Pietenpol-List: 0-290G for Pietenpol>>Anyone, ever run out of power with a 65 Cont.? I have!!!!!!! I got a>good deal on a 0-290G, and it wieghs the same as the model A 244 lb.>or so. Can any one tell me the distance from firewall to prop flange>on the moden A, I can't seem to find my prints. >I've got 105.6hrs. on Piet and she realy flies great, >>Thanks much Robert Bozeman>>ROBERT, IM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING A RIDE IN THIS SOUPED UP PETE!!________________________________________________________________________________