Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol Discussion Group

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mb-albany(at)worldnet.att.net
Fritz Wagoner directed me to this address to ask about a Pietenpol discussion group. What can you tell me about it? Thanks for your reply.Keith________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: oil can
Keith,You have just wandered into the best darn discussion group this side of theMississippi River!!There is loads of information given each and almost every day. If you arelooking to build a Piet., then you have come to the right spot on your dial.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Brusilow
Ther has been a lot of discussion lately about the aluminum that wouldbe acceptable to use on cowlings. The messages spoke of using 5052, 2024,and 6061. 2024T-3 is the usual and best aluminum to use in suchapplications. It is the structural aluminum used in nearly all lightairplane construction. However, the Piet cowl and cockpit fairings arenot structural and the strength 2024T-3 offers is not absolutelynecessary. But a lot depends on the temper of the other aluminuminvolved. The T-3 after 2024 refers to the heat treatment and temperingof the aluminum to make it stronger. Often, 5052 is offered in the "-O"or annealed state which means it's soft and would be very easily dented.With the prop throwing up rocks or whatever, it would not take long tobeat up the cowl. Also, someone brought up about material thickness, whether to use .025or .032. The original plans call for .020 or .025 ternplate, a roofingmaterial. I plan to use .025 2024T-3 Alclad on our plane. It isexpensive, but if you look around and talk to your local FBO, especiallyif they rebuild damaged aircraft, you might be able to get a smallerpiece at a more reasonable cost. Believe it or not, when I worked for theMooney Aircraft Corporation I was able to buy a piece of 2024T-3, whetherin a full sheet or not, by the pound. I bought a half sheet for $10.00 anumber of years ago. I no longer work there and the ownership has sincechanged so things are different now, but you never know what you can findif you don't look.Piets forever,John Langston__________________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: leonstefanhutks(at)webtv.net (Leon Stefan)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group>Is it reasonably possible to build a Piet with a max weight of>less than 600 lbs ?>Any advice welcome, thanks>Claude________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Cardinal
Is it reasonably possible to build a Piet with a max weight ofless than 600 lbs ?Any advice welcome, thanksClaude________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: claude
Claude, Apparently it is possible to get under 600 lbs empty with a -8 cont, a wood prop, lite cub style gear ,a short fuselage and 1 piece wing. 590lbs. should be possible.....Also I am all for a fly in in texas..I live insw Ark.......Bill-----Original Message-----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> B and V Dearinger
Helium in tires ?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > B and V Dearinger
Thats not funny, I thought about putting it in the wings also, anythingbetter, can we get the piet down to UL training wt?Gordon Helium in tires ? ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> claude
Where in S.W. Ark? I live in Carlisle.Thanks, Larry> Claude, Apparently it is possible to get under 600 lbs empty with a -8cont> , a wood prop, lite cub style gear ,a short fuselage and 1 piece wing. 590> lbs. should be possible.....Also I am all for a fly in in texas..I live in> sw Ark.......Bill-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> claude
> > Claude, Apparently it is possible to get under 600 lbs empty with a -8cont> , a wood prop, lite cub style gear ,a short fuselage and 1 piece wing. 590> lbs. should be possible.....Also I am all for a fly in in texas..I livein> sw Ark.......Bill-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bill Talbert
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group> > > >Is it reasonably possible to build a Piet with a max weight of> >less than 600 lbs ?> >Any advice welcome, thanks> >Claude> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > claude
> > Claude, Apparently it is possible to get under 600 lbs empty with a-8 cont > , a wood prop, lite cub style gear ,a short fuselage and 1 piecewing. 590 > lbs. should be possible.....Also I am all for a fly in in texas..Ilive in > sw Ark.......Bill-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group > > > >Is it reasonably possible to build a Piet with a max weight of > >less than 600 lbs ? > >Any advice welcome, thanks > >Claude >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol Discussion Group> > > >Is it reasonably possible to build a Piet with a max weight of> >less than 600 lbs ?> >Any advice welcome, thanks> >Claude> > ________________________________________________________________________________