Pietenpol-List: first flight

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
To all,First flight of C-GDCB on 17th April, 1999 at 09:45AM. at the BramptonAirport.Performed 2 circuits. without insidence. The prop. however did not unload. Ihad the same rpm at full throttle as I achieved static.All concensus is that it's not breathing properly. This is easy enough 6tofix.Another Piet. in the air,Domenic Bellissimo________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight

Post by matronics »

Bravo, Domenic!!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

>Another Piet. in the air,>Domenic BellissimoCongratulations Dom !!!! Fly off that time and join us in Wisconsin this summer !!!Mike C.Another Piet. in the air,Domenic BellissimoCongratulations Dom !!!! Fly off that time and join us in Wisconsin this summer !!!Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
Congrats to you Domenic!! Doug
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
Corky wrote:>According to my test pilot, he was intending to do some runway taxi>runs when 41CC lifted from the runway and he could only follow it's>lead and fly the pattern.Then your test pilot wasn't the pilot-in-command, was he?As much as anyone, I long for the moment when I make the first flight in my homebuilt. It's something I think about very often, and it's the carrot that dangles out there every time I look at the plans, parts, and disarray in the shop. However, I've read enough to realize that "just going for it" on your first flight can cost you your hiney and all your hard work. More than that, it can cost all the rest of us our hineys and our hard work because folks think of "those handmade little airplanes" as being dangerous and that we shouldn't be up there playing with non-certified toys. Just think of the newspaper stories you've seen where some guy drills it in on his first flight because he "just went for it" rather than carefully shaking down the bird a step at a time.Plan your test flights, then fly your test plans. Your test pilot may have winked at you as you pulled the chocks, and everything turned out marvelously, but just think of the possibilities if he had found that something wasn't quite right 200 ft. up rather than just rolling down the runway on a fast taxi.End of lecture. I will have a hard time sticking to a regimented flight test sequence when that moment comes, but believe me- you will hear me yelling "waaaahhhoooooo!" for miles around when it actually happens.Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.nethttp://www.ho ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: first flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Carl Loar"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flightOscar,I think I may have conveyed the wrong impression of our first flight. My tester had his wits at all times. He is one of the most articulate people I've ever met. His taxi tests have lasted hours these last weeks. He has on at least 3 occasions inspected every nut, bolt, cables, pivots and every inch of 41CC even with a magnifying glass. When he took the active he knew exactly what that plane was capable of doing otherwise I assure you it would never have left the ground. Edwin Johnson is a very experienced pilot holding ALL the ratings w/ over 11K hours and about 4k in draggers. I'm sorry that the way I described that first flight conveyed an impression of carelessness. Nothing could be further from fact.Corky in La________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Oscar Zuniga"
Hey Oscar, The plane has it's airworthy cert. As in worthy to be in the air,ready to fly, hey, you can fly this plane in thesky. The test pilot, as long as he felt the plane was ready, didn't doanything wrong.Carl----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Oscar Zuniga"
Help!!! I am using the extended fuselage plans as I will be using a Corvairengine. I am unsure of what dimensions to use for the cross braces as thereare none given with the extended fuselage plans. The area of concern isfrom the pilot seat aft.Any help offered would be appreciated.Alex Sloan----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: first flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ted Brousseau"
Way to go, Corky!Oscar, I agree with your views on planning the flight, then flying the plan.However, even the professionals sometimes get caught in situations where thebest thing to do is fly the airplane even when not expecting to. When I wasa young engineer just out of college, I went to work for General Dynamics inFort Worth, working on the initial design of the F-16 jet fighter. The F-16was the world's first "fly-by-wire" production fighter, but it didn't comewithout problems. A friend of mine, Phil Oestreicher, was one of the testpilots on the program. He was conducting a high speed taxi test on theYF-16 Prototype prior to the first flight, which was to be conducted by thecompany's Chief Test Pilot. Phil was supposed to accelerate down the runwayto 100knots, raise the nose, and then give aileron inputs so the flightcontrol engineers could verify that the gain was set correctly on the flightcontrol computer. It wasn't. The ailerons were much too sensitive and whenPhil gave a quick aileron input to the left, the plane rolled violentlyleft, wiping the Sidewinder missile off the wingtip. He immediatelycorrected to the right, and got that missile too. He instantly decided thatthis was going to hell in a hurry and punched the throttle into zone 5afterburner and took off. He flew the airplane for about 15 minutes,getting used to its dangerously sensitive ailerons (remember that aproduction F-16 can roll at 540 degs. per second) and then executed asuccessful landing.He was given credit for saving the airplane by his quick thinking, but itcaused a problem for the public relations types. His boss was supposed tomake the first flight, but now Phil had already done that. Eventually theycalled Phil's inadvertant flight "Flight Number Zero" so his boss could haveflight number one. Amongst us engineers, however, Phil's flight becameknown as the "High Altitude Taxi" test.When it comes time to test fly my Piet, I will try my best to "plan theflight and fly the plan", but if I get into a situation where flying appearsto be less dangerous than say, running off the runway, I won't hesitate tofly it.Again, congratulations Corky.JackCorky wrote:>According to my test pilot, he was intending to do some runway taxi>runs when 41CC lifted from the runway and he could only follow it's>lead and fly the pattern.Then your test pilot wasn't the pilot-in-command, was he?As much as anyone, I long for the moment when I make the first flight in myhomebuilt. It's something I think about very often, and it's the carrotthat dangles out there every time I look at the plans, parts, and disarrayin the shop. However, I've read enough to realize that "just going for it"on your first flight can cost you your hiney and all your hard work. Morethan that, it can cost all the rest of us our hineys and our hard workbecause folks think of "those handmade little airplanes" as being dangerousand that we shouldn't be up there playing with non-certified toys. Justthink of the newspaper stories you've seen where some guy drills it in onhis first flight because he "just went for it" rather than carefully shakingdown the bird a step at a time.Plan your test flights, then fly your test plans. Your test pilot may havewinked at you as you pulled the chocks, and everything turned outmarvelously, but just think of the possibilities if he had found thatsomething wasn't quite right 200 ft. up rather than just rolling down therunway on a fast taxi.End of lecture. I will have a hard time sticking to a regimented flighttest sequence when that moment comes, but believe me- you will hear meyelling "waaaahhhoooooo!" for miles around when it actually happens.Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TX________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry Ragan"
Howdy again, low 'n' slow fliers;Edwin wrote:>In Corky's euphoria, he rather made this as storybook rather than>actual fact and used a few words and phrases inappropriately.Aha! The real story emerges! There was never any doubt in my mind that Corky did NOT just shove NX41CC out of the nest without any forethought. His detailed and careful emails on this list have proven that if anything, he is overly cautious about things. Had it been "the Fisherman" I would have my doubts, but I knew the plane was airworthy and would do just fine, and the "rest of the story" was what went on behind the scenes as Edwin did all the preflight testing and all the checking and other "homework" to get her ready for flight. (I just hope that Edwin gave at least one good Cajun "aaaaayyeeeeee!" when the plane took wing.)I guess the point of my email (and of the other concerned replies) is that there are some folks out there who want to just "kick the tires and light the fires" and take their new airplanes in the air first thing. The FAA has signed off on their airworthiness, so why not? Speaking for myself, I'm a mechanical and electrical engineer and have built the airplane to my own personal satisfaction, and I will decide when she can fly because I'm a licensed and rated pilot with the tailwheel time needed to do it, right? But prudence dictates that we ease into the flight test plan, and Edwin and Corky did just that. They just didn't let on what was going on behind the scenes!This Piet bunch sure is great!Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walter evans"
Just had to go and mention the "fisherman", didn't you. Some of us are trying toforget.Larry Ragan Jacksonville, Fl. lragan(at)hotmail.com ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Brian Kraut"
Hey allI finally got to fly the new Piet today. That radial engine really has some kick. The tail comes up quickly and it is very smooth in flight.A special thanks to all who helped in the building process, especially the crew at Sun n Fun where the components were build, Skip, P.F. and all the others.Dick N.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That is beautifull. Is that one of the Rotec radials?I love the external elevator horn. Gives it a great antique look.Brian KrautEngineering Alternatives, Inc.www.engalt.com -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dick Navratil
Dick,Congratulations! My wife really liked the looks of your Piet and wants me to switch from the Model A to the Rotec...says it might be my Christmas present. I may be seeking you out for guidance...Take Care,Max ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dick Navratil
Very good, Dick!Can you provide some details like climb rate, cg location, weight, how it handles, etc...Greg C. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Egan
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: cockpit cowl attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: cockpit cowl attachmentIn a message dated 9/23/2007 3:08:32 PM Central Daylight Time, johnegan99(at)yahoo.com writes:My question is regarding how to attach the aluminum cockpit cowl to the longerons. John,I glued a small 1/4" strip along the otbd edge of the longerons, and used small screws through the cockpit cowl (spaced about 3" apart) that go into the1/4" strip, so as not to interfere with the integrity of the longerons.Chuck G.NX770CG________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flightIn a message dated 9/22/2007 9:47:06 PM Central Daylight Time, horzpool(at)goldengate.net writes:I finally got to fly the new Piet today. That radial engine really has some kick. The tail comes up quickly and it is very smooth in flight.Hey, that's some great news, Dick !! Sure is a beautiful job you did there. You're going to get a lot of attention with that one. Hummmmm...I wonder how much smoke you can make with all those cylinders...Chuck G.NX770CG________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: cockpit cowl attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: cockpit cowl attachmentI used machine screw inserts. They have machine threads on the inside, and wood screw threads on the outside. You drill a 1/4" hole in the wood, then thread the insert into the wood using a hex allen wrench. More surface area, and it doesn't wallow with repeated use.Steve E.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: cockpit cowl attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Michals
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Howdy, folks;I got my BPA Newsletter and just got a chance to read through it this evening. I save it as my "dessert" at the end of a long week. A very interesting article in there by Julius Junge (from EAA Chapter 35, right here in San Antonio) about the benefits of using low carbon 1025 steel instead of 4130 for our airplanes. Should create quite a controversy! (Almost as heated as the controversy between those who say "3 Minute Oats" cartons make the best leading edge material vs. those who swear by "Quaker Oats" cardboard ;o)Anyway, the point I want to make is that I had not even noticed that my copy was stamped "your subscription has expired with this issue" on the back by the address label, where I would never think to look. Yikes! I'm sending in my renewal to Doc right now! Check your label to see if you are still current...Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net_________________________________________________________________Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Caf. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_T ... ___Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: first flightDate: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:03:33 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
Dick, Congratuations! Now you got a big problem, which Piet to fly today ; )Skip________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: first flightDate: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:21:40 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Steve Singleton"
You are an inspiration.Nice job.Patrick601XL/CorvairRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: aircamper project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jmccarth"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: first flightHello Don, Thanks to you and everybody else for the congrats.yes I have a few pictures,here are a couple.**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exer ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: aircamper project
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Willis
Is your project still available?Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:49:42 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: HelsperSew(at)aol.com
Congratulations Gene!My hat is off to you for finishing, and I wish you many wonderful hours inthe sky!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Fw: first flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan M
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gboothe5"
strange? I addressed that message to Dave and it went to the list? guess it doesn'tmatter but seemed odd? guess it's another reason you better not send anythingon the computer you don't want the world to see. RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Billy McCaskill"
Pietenpol N110DL made her first flight yesterday 8/25/11, at Bayboro NC, piloted by Barry Triplett. He found the airplane to handle well and said it flies like a Cub. One quick flight this morning and then we had to take off the wings again and move her to safer ground before Irene gets here. Got everything secured just before the rain started. Don Lane________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Cardinal"
Congrats on your maiden flight, Don! I'm sure that you can't wait for the stormto blow over so that you can bolt the wings back on and put lots of enjoyablehours on her!--------Billy McCaskillUrbana, ILtail section almost done, starting on ribs soonRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Donald Lane
Fantastic! No brakes and a tailskid, classic color scheme, a streamer of oil running down the cowling and look at the grass hanging on the landing gear bracing cables. I think Bernard would smile approvingly.Very lovely, congratulations!Greg CardinalMinneapolis ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "aerocarjake"
Don,Congratulations.I know you are filled with pride. I would be. I sure hate you hadto take the wing off it. The setting for the picture is just perfect for aPiet. Looks like it is straight from1933.--------Jerry Dotson59 Daniel Johnson RdBaker, FL 32531Started building NX510JD July, 2009now covering21" wheelsLycoming O-235Jay Anderson CloudCars propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dan Yocum
That's just fantastic....! Congratulations................--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flightAbsolutely beautiful pietenpol. Congrats!-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Way to go, Don! You've got a nice looking airplane. Glad the flight wentwell, and I hope Irene is kind to you. I was in Florida earlier this weekwhen Irene blew by and there wasn't much wind or rain, but you're a lotcloser to the eye than I was then. Here is Raleigh, we've had rain and some20 - 30 knot winds but nothing too bad.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Now THAT is a beautiful flying machine! Very well done.Wayne BresslerTaildraggers, Inc.www.taildraggersinc.comOn Aug 26, 2011, at 11:07 PM, "Donald Lane" wrote:> Pietenpol N110DL made her first flight yesterday 8/25/11, at Bayboro NC, piloted by Barry Triplett. He found the airplane to handle well and said it flies like a Cub. One quick flight this morning and then we had to take off the wings again and move her to safer ground before Irene gets here. Got everything secured just before the rain started. Don Lane> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Wow Don,Congratulations, and your airplane is absolutely gorgeous!!! You should be very proud.Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Pieti Lowell"
Wow! Very, very nice classic Pietenpol, love the colors ....they all should bebuilt like that.... sooooooo, where is the YouTube video?Congratulations and many more.--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Amsafetc
Hi John - I used 1/8". I had the materials and it was simple. My weight and balanceturned out pretty well.Different subject: I'll get with you when you guys have your next breakfast. Ifthere's not one soon I'll get with you offline and arrange a visit sans breakfast.Kevin--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/Georgetown, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles Campbell"
That's great congratulationsJohnSent from my iPhoneOn Aug 26, 2011, at 11:07 PM, "Donald Lane" wrote:> Pietenpol N110DL made her first flight yesterday 8/25/11, at Bayboro NC, piloted by Barry Triplett. He found the airplane to handle well and said it flies like a Cub. One quick flight this morning and then we had to take off the wings again and move her to safer ground before Irene gets here. Got everything secured just before the rain started. Don Lane> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Don, I have lived in NC all my life except for military time and I never heard of Bayboro until your post. Congratulations. I'm a few months behind you. I just finished one wing -- starting on the other. Tail done, fuselage about 1/2 done, engine (Corvair) just started but I have most of the parts. Waiting for a 5th bearing. As soon as that gets installed I can get back to the engine. Hoping to make Brodhead in 2012. Chuck in Winston-Salem. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Post by matronics »

Here is the link to N110DLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71g17X1fSUDon Lane________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gboothe5"
This vid has been blocked here for music copyriteinfringement from The Orchard Music and EMI.clif http://www..youtube.com/watch?v=E71g17X1fSU Don Lane------------------------------------------------------------------------------ No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com08/29/11____________________ ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Interesting that you bring that up, Clif..I wanted to say that, although Ienjoyed the clip (before being blocked), the music of that engine wasdrowned out.and I really missed that. Anyhow.Well Done, Don!!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
The wing walkers were there for safety, as I have no brakes and there is a big ditch either side of the taxiway. I am the one on the left wing, Barry Triplett is the pilot.Don________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Congratulations Don!!She climbs like a homesick angel, very impressive!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: first flight
matronics

Post by matronics »

Great job on the Piet and the video production and the background music was really goodThanks for making it availableJohnSent from my iPhoneOn Aug 30, 2011, at 1:02 PM, "Donald Lane" wrote:> Here is the link to N110DL> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71g17X1fSU> > Don Lane> > ============================================================================================================================================> ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:34:29 -0700 (PDT)