Pietenpol-List: motor mount

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Fay
Dear List Readers,On the plans from Don Pietenpol, no tubing quality is specified......(that Ive found)on the Continental motor mount, so must it be made of4130? Or is this just a good thing to do? I plan on powereing with an0-200.DannyMac________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard DeCosta
--- "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC" wrote:> Richard I found my pamphlet on carving and copy of> "Proppeller making for> homebuilts by Ray Hegy"> Send me your address again. I'll get it out today.> Dom.> ---------> > > Domenic,If I would send you a SASE, would it be possible for me to get one ofthose copies also? (jefay(at)yahoo.com)Also, to anyone about propmaking:About 3 months ago I called the EAA bookstore to try to obtain the bookby Eric Clutton--they told me they didn't have it, so I had themtransfer my call to the library there at EAA headquarters to see ifthey could get me any info about the book, its availability, etc.The lady in the library recognized the name of the book and said tocall the bookstore, she thought they had it. (Does this kind ofexperience sound familiar toany of you--I"m told it has something to do with Adam and Eve and lifeon earth.) I told her what they had told me. She said she would callme back. About 45 minutes later she did, and that they had found anumber of them stored away someplace. They cost about $7 each and I got two of them. I thought well worth the price. So youare welcome to call EAA and see what you can find.I thought the book complemented the article by Howard Henderson(available from GEMcClaren), each making some things the other had saidmuch clearer. The EAA can also get you a reprint of that article byFred Wieck about making props. I think their charge for that was onlytwo or three dollars.John in Peoria ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alan Swanson
It may this easier... when I get te pamphlet, Im going to scan it andput it in printable form on aircamper.org. I'll heads-up everyone whenits up.--- John Fay wrote:> > > --- "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC" wrote:> > Richard I found my pamphlet on carving and copy of> > "Proppeller making for> > homebuilts by Ray Hegy"> > Send me your address again. I'll get it out today.> > Dom.> > ---------> > > > > > > Domenic,> > If I would send you a SASE, would it be possible for me to get one of> those copies also? (jefay(at)yahoo.com)> > > Also, to anyone about propmaking:> > About 3 months ago I called the EAA bookstore to try to obtain the> book> by Eric Clutton--they told me they didn't have it, so I had them> transfer my call to the library there at EAA headquarters to see if> they could get me any info about the book, its availability, etc.> > The lady in the library recognized the name of the book and said to> call the bookstore, she thought they had it. (Does this kind of> experience sound familiar to> any of you--I"m told it has something to do with Adam and Eve and> life> on earth.) I told her what they had told me. She said she would> call> me back. About 45 minutes later she did, and that they had found a> number of them stored away someplace. They cost about > $7 each and I got two of them. I thought well worth the price. So> you> are welcome to call EAA and see what you can find.> > I thought the book complemented the article by Howard Henderson> (available from GEMcClaren), each making some things the other had> said> much clearer. The EAA can also get you a reprint of that article by> Fred Wieck about making props. I think their charge for that was> only> two or three dollars.> > John in Peoria > > > ==="Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly? Just howin the world do you think it got to be this old?" - Jim Tavenner---------------------------------------------------------Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!---------------------------------------------------------My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder_____ ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: motor mount

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: walter evans
>Dear List Readers,>>On the plans from Don Pietenpol, no tubing quality is specified......>(that Ive found)on the Continental motor mount, so must it be made of>4130? Or is this just a good thing to do? I plan on powereing with an>0-200.>>DannyMac 4130! Absolutely. Watch the CG Danny. Mike B. Piet N687MB (0-200 powered )>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
EVERYTHING I make for Piets is 4130 no matter if it's a fitting, bracket, landing gear or motor mount. SAFETY should be our first and foremost concern regardless of what year our aircraft was designed... and that means using certified materials, AN hardware and lots of common sense.PLEASE use 4130 for your Continiental mount...Steve ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "oldbird"
Will indeed keep it in mind if I can make it work.......--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: motor mount
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Hi allcan you help me with down and right thrust of a Continental A65-8 engine?I realize I cannot change them after the mount is finished.Thanks in advanceHappy landingsSemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: motor mountMy understanding is that some adjustment can be done with washers and themounts. Just not much.I don't think mine has much adjustment.Blue Skies,Steve DOn Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:11 PM, oldbird wrote:>> Hi all>> can you help me with down and right thrust of a Continental A65-8 engine?> I realize I cannot change them after the mount is finished.>> Thanks in advance>> Happy landings>> Semih>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 452412>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: motor mount
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Hey nightmare-I've seen pictures of your woodwork and unless I'm mistaken, a lot of your gussetsare at 206 degrees. You'd better check them, and you might have to pop someof them off and rotate them 180 degrees to get them correct.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: motor mount
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: MacBook Pro
Great, detailed response Oscar.Thank you for helping him out.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________