Pietenpol-List: Wood struts

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
Spruce or fir laminated either side of plywood? I can do that.Safe fittings? I can do that.Dannymac________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ed0248(at)aol.com
Danny, Go to http://users.aol.com/BPANews/www.htmlthen click down to "BPA Newsletter Items" in red,then, click down 15-20 items until you see the name "Clyde Buckley".There is a description and a cross section photo of what you are lookingfor.Cheers,Warrendannymac wrote:> Spruce or fir laminated either side of plywood? I can do that.> Safe fittings? I can do that.>> Dannymac________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "oldbird"
I am surprised to see the gaps in the ribs. I did not allow any gap wider than0.1mm (0.004") gap on my ribs braces. They also fit centerline to centerline.If I missed, I used the stick for a shorter brace and made a new one. Am I toopicky?Semih (in Istanbul)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Wood struts
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wood struts
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Semih,You and your project are an inspiration!The attached pictures will show the orientation of the laminations on mystruts. These are laminated hickory, but I don't think you would be narrowedto just hickory. I used T-88 epoxy on these, but have also used WeldwoodResorcinol on other strut sets.Jim Markle has a different approach to his beautiful struts, and maybe hecan chime in.Please feel free to ask questions anytime, either on this list, or inpersonal email.Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
GaryThey are fantastic! I only saw them in larger photos and they have not done enoughjustice. Looking closely...Do you have any details of cross section, bolt sizes, hole spacings?My other question was: is your fuselage deeper than original? You seem to sit lower.Thank you very much for your kind and informative response.SemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

Samih,Yes, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. I appear to sitlower because I raised the turtledecks 1 1/2". I also have two stringers onthe bottom, which gives the appearance of a deeper fuselage.The strut brackets are held on with three 3/16" bolts. I have norecollection of the spacing...probably about 2". I'm not sure what you meanby "cross section" details, but, when you rip the laminations, you are freeto do so in a way that you create vertical grain in each piece. I orientedthem so that the grain was vertical when gluing.Hope that helps....Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Garyraising the turtledecks is a great idea. I'll do the same. It looks cool too.By cross section, I meant width and depth of the struts.Thank you again,SemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

1" thick, 2.5" wide. Each lamination was 1/2" x 1". Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
Thank you Gary.SemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 07:08:45 -0400
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 4-blade test

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Dan,How much does this 4-bladed prop weigh? How much does your 2-bladed prop weigh?--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: 4-blade test

Post by matronics »

Dan,The prop looks great.Any progress on the temp problem?JackSent from my iPad> On May 4, 2015, at 6:08 AM, danhelsper(at)aol.com wrote:> > Well,> > At long last I have test run the 4-bladed prop, two years after the initial test. As you might recall I cut 1-1/2" off the blades and thinned them down as much as possible. The results from two years ago:> > 220 Fish Scale Lbs, @ 1600 RPM> > Results last evening:> > 238 Fish Scale Lbs. @ 1800 RPM> > I am declaring success, and will test fly this evening during the Don Emch "Golden Hour".> > Dan Helsper> Loensloe Airfield> Puryear, TN> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 13:49:53 -0400
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 4-blade test

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: 4-blade test

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Jack
Good news on the temp.I'd like to open the discussion on flying to Brodhead this year. I want to do that at least once. If I head west I'm hoping to join up with some Pieters near Atlanta. Then fly north to your area and spend the night. Then with you in the group (if you are planning to fly) off the Brodhead. Then reverse the plan when it's over. If that would acceptable to you we'll need an airport close to you or where you have your airplane. And a recommendation for a place to spend the night. These are just my ideas so far and would like any input from you or others to modify the plan. Any other ideas on what to bring or how to get there would be great. Do you know of any others that might be flying to include?Thanks,JackSent from my iPad> On May 4, 2015, at 12:55 PM, danhelsper(at)aol.com wrote:> > Jack,> > I have added one bottle of Red Line Water-Wetter, and one bottle of Lucas Super Coolant. I am really liking the temperature readings I am seeing. Yesterday I flew the airplane over to our local EAA meeting. It was 90F here and the water temp was staying 200 or less. This is a real improvement from what I saw last summer. I will keep you posted as ambient temps elevate.> > Dan Helsper> Loensloe Airfield> Puryear, TN> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "USMC20C"
Hi Vincent,My comment was mainly in reference to the type of adhesive used for the lamination.Different adhesives require specific conditions for proper bonding. Somecan tolerate slight gaps, and some cannot. Some require the joint to be keptunder pressure when curing, etc.For the fuselage longerons, there is no need to steam or laminate to achieve thecurves. They will easily bend to the required shape.Building an entire fuselage as a mock up really isn't necessary. The main purposewould be to determine how well you fit in the stock fuselage, and determinewhether you would need to make any modifications.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood struts
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "M W Stanley"
Very nice looking struts! Keep it up my friendgboothe wrote:> Semih,> > You and your project are an inspiration!> > The attached pictures will show the orientation of the laminations on my> struts. These are laminated hickory, but I don't think you would be narrowed> to just hickory. I used T-88 epoxy on these, but have also used Weldwood> Resorcinol on other strut sets.> > Jim Markle has a different approach to his beautiful struts, and maybe he> can chime in.> > Please feel free to ask questions anytime, either on this list, or in> personal email.> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB> > > ----------Respectfully, Craig CRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "USMC20C"
Hi Gary,I have to agree, very nice looking struts!Do you know if there much of a weight difference between those and stock streamlined aluminum?ThanksMark Stanley--------------------------------------------------