Pietenpol-List: $15.00 mag will work

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: $15.00 mag will work

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
while it is true that the mag is driven from the camshaft, the mag gear hasthe same number of teeth as the crankshaft gear, which results in the magturning crankshaft speed. camshaft speed is one half crankshaft speed. in agear driven camshaft, the camshaft rotates in the opposite direction as thecrankshaft. the camshaft then drives the mag gear, resulting in the magrotating in the same direction as the crankshaft. this will allow the magto be driven directly off the end of the crankshaft with no problems. ihave purchesed some of these magnetos, and plan to using one on my model Aadjusted to rotate in either direction, as well as adjusting the timing.the impulse coupler is easily changed for the opposite direction. thesemags have no gear on the drive, but drive from a slot in the mag gearinside the engine. they are a great magnetos at an unbelievable price.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Fw: $15.00 mag will work

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Joel Carpenter
matronics

> Re: $15.00 mag will work

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Ken Beanlands
> > yes, they do have impulse couplers on them, but, as stated, it is for a> right direction. > to change direction, a left rotation coupler will have to be obtainsd.> internally, the driven gear has a left and right rotation mark. a small> drill can be used if the slick timing pin is not available. these mags> would work with no changing if it is driven from the cam gear, where the> governer was mounted on the truck and industrial model A engines.> > ----------
matronics

> > Re: $15.00 mag will work

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
> > > > I still haven't recieved mine yet, but they have been shipped. What the> > sales guy couldn't tell me was wether or not there was an impulsecouple> > on them. Is there?> > > > Thanks,> > Ken> > > > On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Carpenter, Joel wrote:> > > > > while it is true that the mag is driven from the camshaft, the maggear> has> > > the same number of teeth as the crankshaft gear, which results in the> mag> > > turning crankshaft speed. camshaft speed is one half crankshaftspeed.> in a> > > gear driven camshaft, the camshaft rotates in the opposite directionas> the> > > crankshaft. the camshaft then drives the mag gear, resulting in themag> > > rotating in the same direction as the crankshaft. this will allow the> mag> > > to be driven directly off the end of the crankshaft with no problems.i> > > have purchesed some of these magnetos, and plan to using one on my> model A> > > adjusted to rotate in either direction, as well as adjusting the> timing.> > > the impulse coupler is easily changed for the opposite direction.these> > > mags have no gear on the drive, but drive from a slot in the mag gear> > > inside the engine. they are a great magnetos at an unbelievableprice.> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________