Pietenpol-List: Re: Shock cords

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
Hi Guys--I am building an air camper, cont. 65 engine (I ordered a set of the mags, thanks!), all wood construction. Have built steel tubing landing gear--according to the plans I need 5/8 diameter shock cords. Seems awfullly stiff to me, what have you been using? Thanks, Bud Cooley________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Shock cords

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
8 winds of 5/8" bungee per side. Right on the money.Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> Patcoolnet(at)aol.com> Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 6:30 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Shock cords> > > Hi Guys--I am building an air camper, cont. 65 engine (I > ordered a set of the > mags, thanks!), all wood construction. Have built steel > tubing landing > gear--according to the plans I need 5/8 diameter shock cords. > Seems awfullly > stiff to me, what have you been using? Thanks, Bud Cooley> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Yotz
Believe me I thought the same thing when I ordered 3/4 inch.cords. Had touse two on each side. Just because you can't bend it doesn/t mean it is tooheavy. jas>Hi Guys--I am building an air camper, cont. 65 engine (I ordered a set ofthe >mags, thanks!), all wood construction. Have built steel tubing landing >gear--according to the plans I need 5/8 diameter shock cords. Seemsawfullly >stiff to me, what have you been using? Thanks, Bud Cooley>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
On NX18235, 1/2" cord was wrapped around the axle 3 times.Greg CardinalMinneapolis-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Shock cords

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Donald A Mosher
Thanks, Oscar. The file downloaded nicely to our desktop computer. It displaysand should work. The fuselage is done and the center section is on and rigged.The engine runs fine, just some minor tuning. I need to make the seat cushionsand the coaming for the cockpit. I bought two nice leather coats from SalvationArmy, just need someone to sew it up. The tail is on and mostly rigged, justsome safety wire on the turnbuckles, now. Controls work nicely.The SkyScout landing gear is still not solved. I'm having trouble with the toe-in.One wheel is toed in, the other OK. The only way to change it is heating thetubing. A real pain!I will run a preliminary W/B before installing the wings using your form. Lotsto do.Thanks,RaySent from my iPad> On Feb 18, 2016, at 8:07 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > For all those who asked, I've uploaded my W&B spreadsheet to the forum but ifyou're unable to get it that way, email me privately and I'll send it to you.The usual caveats apply, especially "the numbers in this spreadsheet are forNX41CC ONLY!" Do not use them for your airplane except as a starting point soyou can check to see if your numbers are reasonable. The other thing I'd liketo mention is that I did not author this spreadsheet. It was generously sharedwith me and it is in that spirit that I share it with others. Like Tim,I also added another tab so that I would have a "what-if sandbox" to play in withoutmessing up the REAL sheet with the real numbers. In fact, I would suggestthat once you enter your final numbers into the real sheet, that you lockthose cells so you can't inadvertently change the numbers that shouldn't change.> > Ray: the spreadsheet doesn't care if you have a one-holer, two-holer, or twelve-holer...you can either leave the numbers for passenger weight and moment armas "zero", or else eliminate those cells to streamline the spreadsheet. Andif you're building a 3-cockpit Air Camper, just add rows for another cockpitand passenger ;o)> > As I mentioned, you don't need to have a complete airplane to start enteringvalues into the sheet. For sure you can add the basic information at the top,but then as you measure the moment arms relative to the datum that you choose,you can start entering those values into the sheet and begin playing what-ifs.If the datum that you choose is going to be the wing leading edge and youdon't have the centersection mounted yet, you'll have to enter values relativeto the firewall and then later adjust those numbers when the distance from leadingedge to firewall is determined. I have set the precision of weights andmoment arms to one decimal place (roughly to the nearest 2 oz and 1/8"). I'veplayed with it by increasing the precision of them one at a time and then bothtogether, but I decided that I do not have eyes or tools that can measure closerthan that. I've tried decreasing the precision to whole pounds and inchesonly, but that is unsatisfactory. If I were going !> to simplify one of the two, I would use whole pounds but keep tenths of an inchof length.> > You may argue about the acceptable range of 15 to 20" aft of wing leading edgefor the CG and you may argue about the allowable maximum gross weight of 1,088lbs. You just won't be arguing them with me ;o)> > Anyway, here is the spreadsheet.> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 991#452991> > > > > Attachments: > > http://forums.matronics.com//files/nx41 ... 14_117.xls> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:37:44 -0600Subject: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Amsafetyc
Chris from Westcoastpiet knows a few builders with Piet's in my area, so I'm hopingto try out a few cockpits very soon.Kerri-Ann got back to me about her door mod plans- they can be used on differentfuselages with only minor changes to a couple of dimensions. That was very goodnews.I was looking at the BHP drawings for the elevator controls and do not understandthe reason for the bell crank/ jackshaft setup behind the pilot- why not runthe cables from the stick all the way back to the tail? Seems like more weightin the tail, more complexity, and more things to go wrong. I read through theFlying & Glider Manuals as well- no reference as to why another shaft and bellcrank is installed to run the elevator cables. Any ideas? I would think thatwith proper pulley size & positioning, a few fairleads should be able to handlethe chore of routing the cables from the pilot station to the control hornson the elevator. Very curious.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tony Crawford
Just watch these videos and some others that relate to gas welding 4130 tubingfor a start ... Gas welding the Legal Eagle Ultralight #1 of 6. Then go an practice, practice and practice some more.WF2--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 19:57:50 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Shock cords
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: cessna7226g(at)aol.com