> > > two-piece floor

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

> > > two-piece floor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
Richard,Not to worry. I think you can get out of this one relativly easily. Thisis what I'm thinking:turn your fuse over.Temporarily position a wooden brace underneath the edge of the plywood to bescarfed to prevent any flexing.Protect the longerons by wrapping them with a thin piece of Aluminum andtaped in place. (protecting the longerons is going to be very important)Begin your scarf joint by marking a pencil line back from the edge. Youmay consider just a 12-1 here and make it 3 inches.Remove most of the material with a circular sander, or a hand plane. Finishthe detail cut with a very sharp low profile hand plane.BTW plywood is nice to scarf because the layers of wood are a greatindicator of how straight your joint is.Prepare your rear piece with an opposing scarf. Fit and glue in place allat once. Make sure that your scarf joint is well wetted with glue. Clampit by covering the joint in wax paper and nail or better yet screw throughthe joint in 3-4 places to tighten the joint until dry. If you use epoxy,clean up any squeezeout after the epoxy gets to the green stage.Once you are done you should be as good as new. Scarf the side panels inthe same way, (but before you attach them--Like I need to say that.) butlocate the joints in the forward end of the fuse box under a upright.Hope that helps,Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> Richard DeCosta> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 8:46 AM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: RE: two-piece floor>>> Any suggesions for scarf-joining the two pieces now that one> of them is> firmly glued to the fuselage? Damn! A butt joint would be THAT bad in> that location?>> --- steve(at)byu.edu wrote:> > Are you making the joints due to the fact that the plywood is to> > short? I> > had the same problem, but I scarf jointed the pieces before gluing> > them to> > the fuse. I would imagine that getting a good tight scarf joint (16> > to 1)> > would be much more difficult on the fuse. Butt joints would of> > course be a> > comprimise to safety in a big way.> >> > Steve Eldredge> > IT Services> > Brigham Young University> >> >> > > -----Original Message-----> > Of> > > Richard DeCosta> > > Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 6:20 AM> > > To: Pietenpol Discussion> > > Subject: two-piece floor> > >> > >> > > I never heard back after Steve's "wassup with the two-piece floor"> > > comment. Can someone verify that this is not going to cause me> > great> > > trouble, as I have to do the same thing with the fuse sides. I am> > > joining the two floor sections at the white ash piece, so> > > there'll be a> > > nice solid 3-way joint, and the sides will join at a 1 x> 3/4 spruce> > > piece.> > >> > > Richard> > > ===> > > "Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe> > > to fly? Just how in the world do you think it got to be this> > > old?" - Jim Tavenner> > > ---------------------------------------------------------> > > Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!> > > ---------------------------------------------------------> > > My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder> > > > > >> > >> >> >>> ===> "Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe> to fly? Just how in the world do you think it got to be this> old?" - Jim Tavenner> ---------------------------------------------------------> Visit http://www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!> ---------------------------------------------------------> My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > > two-piece floor

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Copinfo
> > Any suggesions for scarf-joining the two pieces now that one of them is> firmly glued to the fuselage? Damn! A butt joint would be THAT bad in> that location?> > --- steve(at)byu.edu wrote:> > Are you making the joints due to the fact that the plywood is to> > short? I> > had the same problem, but I scarf jointed the pieces before gluing> > them to> > the fuse. I would imagine that getting a good tight scarf joint (16> > to 1)> > would be much more difficult on the fuse. Butt joints would of> > course be a> > comprimise to safety in a big way.> > > > Steve Eldredge> > IT Services> > Brigham Young University> > > > > > > -----Original Message-----> > Of> > > Richard DeCosta> > > Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 6:20 AM> > > To: Pietenpol Discussion> > > Subject: two-piece floor> > >> > >> > > I never heard back after Steve's "wassup with the two-piece floor"> > > comment. Can someone verify that this is not going to cause me> > great> > > trouble, as I have to do the same thing with the fuse sides. I am> > > joining the two floor sections at the white ash piece, so> > > there'll be a> > > nice solid 3-way joint, and the sides will join at a 1 x 3/4 spruce> > > piece.> > >> > > Richard> > > ===> > > "Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe> > > to fly? Just how in the world do you think it got to be this> > > old?" - Jim Tavenner> > > ---------------------------------------------------------> > > Visit www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!> > > ---------------------------------------------------------> > > My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder> > > > > >> > >> > > > > > ===> "Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?" - Jim Tavenner> ---------------------------------------------------------> Visit http://www.AirCamper.org - A Low 'n Slow Online Community!> ---------------------------------------------------------> My homepage: http://www.AirCamper.org/w3builder> ________________________________________________________________________________