Pietenpol-List: 0-200

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Shaun Slade
Shad wrote:Go with the 0-200. I fly with one, no problems.FYI, an 0-200 with starter & altenator weighs less than a Ford engineMike B Piet N687 MB ( Mr Sam )Shad wrote:would it be worth rebuilding the0-200or betterto get a rebuilt cont-75 or 85?Go with the 0-200. I fly with one, noproblems.FYI, an 0-200 with starter altenatorweighs lessthan a Ford engineMike B Piet N687 MB ( Mr Sam)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200>>So...what hoops did you have to go through to import a Canadian homebuilt>into the States? I had heard that this was not possible! Inquiring minds>want to know!>>Ken>>On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Thomas E Bowdler wrote:>>>>> I am flying an 0-200 powered Pietenpol Air Camper long fuselage>> version built in 1972 by the Hostein Bros. of Ontario, Canada. It was>> converted from an A65 by it's former owner Peter McHugh who intended to>> fly on floats.>> For sure the ground run is short and the climb is spectacular and I>> generally cruise at 80 on advice of the former owner but it will easily>> go 100 if the air is smooth but the fuel burn goes up dramatically.>> If you already have the engine, go for it, otherwise an A 65 is>> enough and cheaper to run.>> My prop is an Aymar DeMuth I bought for my homebuilt Piet and put on>> this one after vandals burned the Rickards prop that hauled her around>> for many years. She used to be C-FCMG and now wears NX888MG.>> Tom>>>>>>>>>>>>Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>Calgary, Alberta, Canada>Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:10:25 -0700 (MST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Thomas E Bowdler
Subject: Pietenpol-List: PropsHey Pietenpals, has any of y'all carved your own prop? I've been working on my prop for a Model A engine, 76" X 48". I'm using the prop plans drawn by Orrin Hoopman, dated 3/3/33. It has 5 laminates of Birch. I found a little bit of difference between the blade angle of his cross sections, at 6" stations, and the chart that I drew, that has the circumphrence across the bottom, and the vertical line is the pitch in inches. I'm using the blade angles from the chart. It's comming along nicely. I plan on building another one, to use for a spare between my partner (Doug Bryant) and I. OK, here is my main question: Has anyone used, or have performance specs, on a Scimitar Prop? I'd like to make this design prop, my 3rd prop project, but I can't find much info on it, other than what is in the book "Propeller Making for the Amateur", by Eric Clutton. Here is a very interesting design that has the tips swept opposite of rotation, and due to the laws of physics, it will twist to a low blade angle for take-off, and when the prop unloads in flight it will twist to a higher blade angle for cruise !! An adjustable blade angle, without any moving parts !! Why doesn't everyone use this design ??? To be fair, it does require quite a bit more work to build. See ya'll at the 2nd annual, Y2K Pietenpol Fly - In, at Benton Airport, the weekend after Labor Day.Chuck GantzerWichita KS________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:30:34 -0800Subject: Pietenpol-List: 0-200
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200 piets?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mike Lund"
>>we are wondering about putting an 0-200 on our piet.. i was just wondering if any>one currently is flying on an 0-200 and what there>performance numbers were. >>I have been flying with an 0-200 for nearly ten years.It takes off quick ( never timed it ), climbs 5-600 ft/min at about 55h( maybe a little more ) & flys at 80 mph @ 2250 rpm. At that rpm it burnsbetween 4.5 & 5 gls/hr.Right rudder is needed on take off to overcome engine torque.Also the engineis pitched slightly down & to the right.Mike B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Canadian homebuilts go the US all the time, all it'll take is a "new" finalinspection, if that.Its comming the other way its impossible. We have a minimum of 2, andusually 3 inspections up here. (pre-close on any closed structures,pre-cover and final.)--and the $2000 cost that goes with theinspections/registrationUnless its a "basic ultralight" then there are NO inspections required, andonly about $150 to register it.Guess what catogory mine is Mike-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mike Lund"
Ken,Remember last year I told you a Canadian Piet. was going south of theborder but couldn't say anything about it. It's now a done deal. Turned outnot to be that difficult.Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Someone asked me about 0-200 specs.I my dotage, I deleted the message. If he would email me again, I wil beglad to respond.Mike B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Benton Fly - In Info

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kent Hallsten"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Benton Fly - In Info I guess I'm the official Benton Fly-In organizer. I can afford all the time needed to organize it, but don't really have funds to spend much money on it, especially if nobody showed up. So, it is just a get together of people who build and fly our favorite plane, or any plane, for that matter. I have a little ten dolor grill out there, if somebody wanted to bring some burgers, and if you want something to drink...well ya better bring your own stocked cooler. If enough interest is generated, I guess I could get one of those rent - a - porta - jons, then have a donation can to collect the $60 or $70 for it (I'm not really sure how much it costs), or any other costs for that matter. I've already spent about 30 bucks on scanning and copying articles on Pietenpols, in an effort to spread the word about Pietenpols to anyone who is 'considering' building one. There is no camping allowed at Benton Airpark, but just a few miles away is a couple of lakes, where camping is allowed. Or you could probably find a Motel / Hotel within 10 or 15 miles. I have a detailed photo log of the entire construction of NX770CG, and will have some reference copies of the plans. Doug & I could probably talk anybody's ears off, all day long, about building & flying Pietenpols. Doug bought a J3 Cub, and has voiced the probability of selling his plane, as well as the Sky Scout project that he has well under way, sitting in my hanger. So, c'mon out to the fly-in, and make a deal !! There is several projects in the Wichita area, and hopefully they will bring what they have completed. Hey Leon, ya think you could bring your Model A engine, and what ever else ya got done? It would be fantastic, and well worth my effort, if we had a van full Pietenpolers from Tex / Okla show up. My question is how many people would make the trip to Benton, and when would you like to have it? ? ? I took that Friday off work, so I could be out there most any time the weekend of the 12th. The reason we changed it to October, was the quest for better flying weather, as compared to September. I will certainly be flying mine, and Doug will most likely be flying his...weather permitting. I flew for an hour this evening, did six landing / back taxi / take - off's. YEEEEE HAAAWWW !!! I just can't put into words, what it's like flying a Pietenpol...ya just hafta experience it.Chuck Gantzerp.s. Please post questions, suggestions and comments about the fly - in. In about a month, I'm going to make a list of folks who think they will show up.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Benton Fly - In InfoDate: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:08:22 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Elizabeth Cooper
Hey Andy,Congrats on a great deal! I too got a firewall forward 0-200, which turnedout to need some work so during the rebuild we converted it to a C90, butthat's a whole other story.When I thought I'd be flying behind the 0-200 unconverted, I did a lot ofresearch and discovered there weren't actually a lot of piets flying withthem in the states. A few, but not many. I talked to the guys who wereflying them to get their prop recommendations. There are more flying in theUK and I got a list of their props as well, though some of them had weird(European) measurements that were hard to figure out.I will look through my archives to see what I can find, but in the meantimeI have a prop on the wall that I had made specifically for this engine andof course never used it. It was made for me by Culver props (you can findthem these days by searching for Valley engineering). Im willing to sellit, and I'll also go out and see what size it is.Feel free to contact me if you're interested or want more prop info and inthe meantime I"ll see what I can dig up.Douwedouwe(at)douwestudios.com________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 05:39:30 -0700
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ian Holland"
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200> > > >> >So...what hoops did you have to go through to import a Canadian homebuilt> >into the States? I had heard that this was not possible! Inquiring minds> >want to know!> >> >Ken> >> >On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Thomas E Bowdler wrote:> >> >>> >> I am flying an 0-200 powered Pietenpol Air Camper long fuselage> >> version built in 1972 by the Hostein Bros. of Ontario, Canada. It was> >> converted from an A65 by it's former owner Peter McHugh who intended to> >> fly on floats.> >> For sure the ground run is short and the climb is spectacular and I> >> generally cruise at 80 on advice of the former owner but it will easily> >> go 100 if the air is smooth but the fuel burn goes up dramatically.> >> If you already have the engine, go for it, otherwise an A 65 is> >> enough and cheaper to run.> >> My prop is an Aymar DeMuth I bought for my homebuilt Piet and put on> >> this one after vandals burned the Rickards prop that hauled her around> >> for many years. She used to be C-FCMG and now wears NX888MG.> >> Tom> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)> >Calgary, Alberta, Canada> >Christavia MK 1 C-GREN> >> >> >> > > > > Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: *****
>> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 0-200>>>>>> >>> >So...what hoops did you have to go through to import a Canadianhomebuilt>> >into the States? I had heard that this was not possible! Inquiring minds>> >want to know!>> >>> >Ken>> >>> >On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Thomas E Bowdler wrote:>> >>> >>>> >> I am flying an 0-200 powered Pietenpol Air Camper long fuselage>> >> version built in 1972 by the Hostein Bros. of Ontario, Canada. Itwas>> >> converted from an A65 by it's former owner Peter McHugh who intendedto>> >> fly on floats.>> >> For sure the ground run is short and the climb is spectacular andI>> >> generally cruise at 80 on advice of the former owner but it willeasily>> >> go 100 if the air is smooth but the fuel burn goes up dramatically.>> >> If you already have the engine, go for it, otherwise an A 65 is>> >> enough and cheaper to run.>> >> My prop is an Aymar DeMuth I bought for my homebuilt Piet and puton>> >> this one after vandals burned the Rickards prop that hauled her around>> >> for many years. She used to be C-FCMG and now wears NX888MG.>> >> Tom>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>> >Calgary, Alberta, Canada>> >Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>> >>> >>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>Calgary, Alberta, Canada>Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:08:21 -0600