Re: Pietenpol-List: Ref: Wooden landing gear

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Rodger & Betty
I have been told (but I do not know for a fact) that if you draw thefittings exactly per the plans and cut them out, that they do not fit . . the angles are wrong, I believe. I think you have to make the wooden gearlegs and draw your steel fittings onto the legs and make them that way.----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Meadows"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Ref: Wooden landing gearGene Rambo wrote: have been told if you draw wittings exactly per drawings and cut them out they will not fit..angles are wrongI got my wood gear drawings from Don Pietenpol. I believe they're the same as those in the FGM (but have not compared). Had them laser cut per plans and they did not fit. Holes would not line up after bending to shape. I then made gear legs from scrap pine, put poster board on both sides without regard to proper shape, drilled through to achieve correct alignment, then drew in shape of outer edges with proper edge clearance. Appearance is identical to those in drawing. Then made gear legs of spruce and everything fit as it should .Hope this helps. Don Hicks________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Conoly"
Gene:You're right. Its not unusual to be off a little on a fitting or adimension. I think when we use common hand tools, we all run the risk ofintroducing some errors into construction. After all , if we used precisiontooling along with CAD along with perfect equipment and materials, we wouldbe right on the money. But - lets remember- Mr. P probably had lesssophisticated drills, saws, etc than we do.My rule is.. build the big parts, then build the fittings to make the bigparts all come together. (Bert's grinning right now)I've found- and I'm no expert- that if I follow directions and use goodcommon horse-sense , I'll build a pretty decent part ..... THE SECOND TIME :)Cheers, Bert (who's pretty much built two airplanes now)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dralle(at)matronics.com (Matt Dralle)
Nice idea Don!Hows that project coming?Bert________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Greg Cardinal
----------
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Ref: Wooden landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips (EUS)"
> > > Steve,> > I have been puzzled by what it is that doesn't seem clear to you about> the wooden landing gear in the old FGM. So I pulled out my copy, opened> it to page 17 and poured over the thing quite literally with a 10X> eyeloupe.> > The things that caught my eye that I may do differently is:> 1) Use douglas fir for the upper vee parts instead of spruce,> 2) Instead of putting the steel strap on the inside of the> fuselage, (the one that ties together the left and right lift strut> fittings),> put it on the outside of the fuselage as per sheet 3 of the > Improved Aircamper drawings.> 3) Make the strap 2" wide per the improved drawing instead of 1/2"> as the FGM says.> 4) Make the metal fittings from 4130-N. > > I would draw out the landing gear and fittings on construction paper to> full scale and cut the pieces out, to check the dimensions first.> > What am I missing?> > Rodger> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Ref: Wooden landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: LaurenMWilliams(at)webtv.net (Lauren Williams)
> > > Steve,> > I have been puzzled by what it is that doesn't seem clear to youabout> the wooden landing gear in the old FGM. So I pulled out my copy,opened> it to page 17 and poured over the thing quite literally with a 10X> eyeloupe.> > The things that caught my eye that I may do differently is:> 1) Use douglas fir for the upper vee parts instead of spruce,> 2) Instead of putting the steel strap on the inside of the> fuselage, (the one that ties together the left and right liftstrut> fittings),> put it on the outside of the fuselage as per sheet 3 of the > Improved Aircamper drawings.> 3) Make the strap 2" wide per the improved drawing instead of1/2"> as the FGM says.> 4) Make the metal fittings from 4130-N. > > I would draw out the landing gear and fittings on constructionpaper to> full scale and cut the pieces out, to check the dimensions first.> > What am I missing?> > Rodger> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Ref: Wooden landing gear

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Cardinal"
> > > With the long fuselage and an A-65 I put mine at 19" aft of the firewall.Greg, how'd you arrive at 19"??> ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:15:15 -0600