Pietenpol-List: taylorcraft trim

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: taylorcraft trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
Dr.O. LanhamI owned a 1940 T-craft. The trim tab consisted of a steel tube spar around3/8" dia. that ran through the fuselage below the horiz stab. The tubeextended beyond the fuse sides about 10". A .032 alum skin was bent into athin airfoil shape and riveted around the trailing edge. This airfoil (2ea)was bolted to each side of the through spar. A small bellcrank was thenbolted to the center of the spar inside of the fuselage. hard piano wireattached to the bellcrank (top and bottom). As the wire ran forward itcrossed, so when it reached a small L shaped trim control lever that wasattached to the frame under the seat, the aft lower wire attached to the topof the trim control and the aft upper wire attached to the lower trimcontrol. This trim isn't the best but it did work and it was simple andlight. I made a drawing of this tab and spar. If you are interested I may beable to get a copy from the new owner.Garyfrgtdog(at)worldnet.att.net________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:36:30 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: taylorcraft trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Gary Leopold
In my previous msg I stated that my friend's T-craft had both a trim tabunderneath the horizontal stab and a tab on the elevator . . . he statesthat the tab was insufficient on his aircraft and that he had to add theextra tab. I thought the pre-war Tcrafts I have flown had sufficient trim,but it has been a while. He also said that the T-craft type tab was notsuitable for the Piet, had been tried several times. He should know, he'son the cover of the EAA Experimenter magazine this month in a Piet.----------
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: taylorcraft trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dralle(at)matronics.com (Matt Dralle)
> > > Dr.O. Lanham> I owned a 1940 T-craft. The trim tab consisted of a steel tube spararound> 3/8" dia. that ran through the fuselage below the horiz stab. The tube> extended beyond the fuse sides about 10". A .032 alum skin was bent intoa> thin airfoil shape and riveted around the trailing edge. This airfoil(2ea)> was bolted to each side of the through spar. A small bellcrank was then> bolted to the center of the spar inside of the fuselage. hard piano wire> attached to the bellcrank (top and bottom). As the wire ran forward it> crossed, so when it reached a small L shaped trim control lever that was> attached to the frame under the seat, the aft lower wire attached to thetop> of the trim control and the aft upper wire attached to the lower trim> control. This trim isn't the best but it did work and it was simple and> light. I made a drawing of this tab and spar. If you are interested I maybe> able to get a copy from the new owner.> Gary> frgtdog(at)worldnet.att.net> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________