Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

###Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: vistin(at)juno.com
Subject: ###Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers>>On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Tim Cunningham wrote:>>>>> Mike I couldn't help commenting. I'm one of those guy's with flashersand I>> and bunch of my cohorts have spent our time on bikes and many of themstill>> ride their Harley's. I've never had anyone go so fast that I wouldn'tkeep>> up. Never lost a chase in my 30 years of police work. I hate to thinkhow>> many squad cars I wrecked, but everyone was caught, hospitalized ifneeded>> and jailed. Now I fly the Piet, low and slow and I can't even keep upwith>> normal freeway traffic. At least there's no police brutality (the funpart>> of the job) when I land. Seriously, I like the look of motorcyle wheels,>> but some of the places I've landed just wouldn't do. I'll stick with my>> balloon 800 x 4's.>> Copinfo(at)home.com>> Tim Cunningham>>I've been watching the Paris Ducar rally over the past couple of evenings.>Consistently, over the long runs, the bikes are off the pace of the "cars">(actually, the cars are more like SUV's) by a significant amount. I was>rather suprised by this!>>Back to Piets... The wheels that these guys use take an awful beating over>the course. 10' drops are seen quite often and yes, the entire bike>sometimes lands sideways and on one wheel similar to the described>crosswind landing! Granted, the weight is probably about half of a loaded>Piet but the speed is around the 130-150 kph or around 2-3 times that of>the Piet. They may be worth a look. SpeedVision has been carrying the>races all this week.>>Speaking of SpeedVision...I saw an interesting show last night called>"Airshow World". It looks to be a weekly show on SpeedVision. Anyway, they>were visiting the Shuttleworth Air Museum in England where they specialize>in planes dating from 1909 to 1940. THe currently have the oldest flying>airplane in exsistance, a 1909 Bleriot, I believe it was.>>Anyway, as they progressed through the collection they came to Miles>Aircraft's first plane, a biplane designed for racing in the early 20's.>They are still restoring the plane and they were talking to the engineer>coordinating the rebuild. He said that the original was covered in Irish>linen but due to the cost, they were using American Ceconite. That was all>well and good until he went on to say that one of the Ceconite's>advantages was it's light weight of only 5 POUNDS PER SQUARE YARD!!! Now>let's see, am I going to end up with a 450 lb covering job (5 lbs x 45>liniar yards x 2 yards wide). If so, I may need a second Franklin ;-). I>suspect that he had the decimal place wrong and it was POINT 5 lbs/sq. yd.>45 lbs seems more realistic.>>Anyway, if you happen to see the show listed, it's well worth watching.>Here, it's on SpeedVision on Wednesday nights along with Sport Flying>(EAA's video magazine), Planes of Fame, World of Flying and Wings! I>generally don't get much done on Wednesday nights ;-)>>Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>Calgary, Alberta, Canada>Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Conoly"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers>>Mike C.>> You know, hearing you talk about your exploits reminds me of what my>brother who was a cop for 20 years, he always said, "You may outrun my>motor, but you won't outrun my Motorola!" I tried to outrun a Texas State>Trooper one time when I was young and dumb, I was on a dirt bike and was>doing good until I fouled a plug. I got caught, he ended-up letting me go,>cause we were way out in the boonies, and I had an 8 mile hike to get home.>Did a lot of thinking that day. Didn't do it again!>>Gary>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Lund
Mike I couldn't help commenting. I'm one of those guy's with flashers and Iand bunch of my cohorts have spent our time on bikes and many of them stillride their Harley's. I've never had anyone go so fast that I wouldn't keepup. Never lost a chase in my 30 years of police work. I hate to think howmany squad cars I wrecked, but everyone was caught, hospitalized if neededand jailed. Now I fly the Piet, low and slow and I can't even keep up withnormal freeway traffic. At least there's no police brutality (the fun partof the job) when I land. Seriously, I like the look of motorcyle wheels,but some of the places I've landed just wouldn't do. I'll stick with myballoon 800 x 4's.Copinfo(at)home.comTim Cunningham1117 SE 80th StreetRunnells, Iowa 50237 (515) 237-1510----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Cunningham
Tim, way back when....us and the local cops had an agreement. we promised not to drive drunk, keepour antics to the back roads in the middle of nowhere...and they agreed not to shoot us for playing.How times have changed. Old buddy, a 35 year vet of the local cops (and anemeraude driver) quit in disgust of the crap. We used to have some fun, wentfast, but nobody got hurt.If the bike wreked, it sure as hell wasnt becouse he got rammed.Today, its a jailable offence. and my 3 year old boy will never know thepure joy of firing up a gass guzzling, atmosphere poluting machine....andjust going. F)()*$ the cops, )(*(&%the law. Freedom on 2 wheels.He will never have that freedom, and as I build this airplane, I reallywonder if he will ever get to ride in it, or should I just torch it now.Before that is legislated away from us.Mike-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mike Lund"
Mike C. You know, hearing you talk about your exploits reminds me of what my brother who was a cop for 20 years, he always said, "You may outrun my motor, but you won't outrun my Motorola!" I tried to outrun a Texas State Trooper one time when I was young and dumb, I was on a dirt bike and was doing good until I fouled a plug. I got caught, he ended-up letting me go, cause we were way out in the boonies, and I had an 8 mile hike to get home. Did a lot of thinking that day. Didn't do it again!Gary________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Meadows
On a 1-1 basis, a lot of the county mounties are decent guys. The comesthe )(*&&%$$ RCMP, FBI, CIA and all the other nazi's.Well, they can KMA (kiss my ass)... as for the county guys...I feel like a run... there's a pot of chillie on, and a case of beerchilling.anybody want to play????M-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: ###Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Ken,When they said 5 pounds per yard, being England, they were probably talkingprice.walt-----Original Message-----
matronics

> ###Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robin goodfellow
> Subject: ###Re: Pietenpol-List: Guys with flashers> > > >> >On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Tim Cunningham wrote:> >> >>> >> Mike I couldn't help commenting. I'm one of those guy's with flashers> and I> >> and bunch of my cohorts have spent our time on bikes and many of them> still> >> ride their Harley's. I've never had anyone go so fast that I wouldn't> keep> >> up. Never lost a chase in my 30 years of police work. I hate to think> how> >> many squad cars I wrecked, but everyone was caught, hospitalized if> needed> >> and jailed. Now I fly the Piet, low and slow and I can't even keep up> with> >> normal freeway traffic. At least there's no police brutality (the fun> part> >> of the job) when I land. Seriously, I like the look of motorcyle wheels,> >> but some of the places I've landed just wouldn't do. I'll stick with my> >> balloon 800 x 4's.> >> Copinfo(at)home.com> >> Tim Cunningham> >> >I've been watching the Paris Ducar rally over the past couple of evenings.> >Consistently, over the long runs, the bikes are off the pace of the "cars"> >(actually, the cars are more like SUV's) by a significant amount. I was> >rather suprised by this!> >> >Back to Piets... The wheels that these guys use take an awful beating over> >the course. 10' drops are seen quite often and yes, the entire bike> >sometimes lands sideways and on one wheel similar to the described> >crosswind landing! Granted, the weight is probably about half of a loaded> >Piet but the speed is around the 130-150 kph or around 2-3 times that of> >the Piet. They may be worth a look. SpeedVision has been carrying the> >races all this week.> >> >Speaking of SpeedVision...I saw an interesting show last night called> >"Airshow World". It looks to be a weekly show on SpeedVision. Anyway, they> >were visiting the Shuttleworth Air Museum in England where they specialize> >in planes dating from 1909 to 1940. THe currently have the oldest flying> >airplane in exsistance, a 1909 Bleriot, I believe it was.> >> >Anyway, as they progressed through the collection they came to Miles> >Aircraft's first plane, a biplane designed for racing in the early 20's.> >They are still restoring the plane and they were talking to the engineer> >coordinating the rebuild. He said that the original was covered in Irish> >linen but due to the cost, they were using American Ceconite. That was all> >well and good until he went on to say that one of the Ceconite's> >advantages was it's light weight of only 5 POUNDS PER SQUARE YARD!!! Now> >let's see, am I going to end up with a 450 lb covering job (5 lbs x 45> >liniar yards x 2 yards wide). If so, I may need a second Franklin ;-). I> >suspect that he had the decimal place wrong and it was POINT 5 lbs/sq. yd.> >45 lbs seems more realistic.> >> >Anyway, if you happen to see the show listed, it's well worth watching.> >Here, it's on SpeedVision on Wednesday nights along with Sport Flying> >(EAA's video magazine), Planes of Fame, World of Flying and Wings! I> >generally don't get much done on Wednesday nights ;-)> >> >Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)> >Calgary, Alberta, Canada> >Christavia MK 1 C-GREN> >> >> >> > > > > Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:00:56 -0800 (PST)