Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: fishin
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.Does anyone have a set of full scale drawings of the 1933 Pietenpol metalparts?? I need the wing (three piece) metal drawings. The metal drawingsfor the landing gear. Jes a little help guys!SteveSteve W - Pietenpol in construction!GN-1--<(next project).IHA #6________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:33:03 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.Steve, I remember, (I think), reading a comment from an old time builder, that it is best to build the wooden structure, then adapt the metal fittings to your own particular situation, as there will be variations from plane to plane. Make cardboard mock-ups of the fittings, then transfer them to metal and fabricate fittings from that. This is to avoid fittings that don't...fit. Makes sense to me, and that's the approach I'm using. Keep us posted on your results.Don Cooley________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 05:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> ADonJr(at)aol.com
I'd have to second this suggestion. I built the landing gear bracketsbefore the fuselage and found they were not large enough to put the boltsin their proper location above the longeron. Apparently Mr Pietenpol useda slightly smaller inch when cutting out his lumber. Wayne Sippola, Winnipeg----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: wayne
I have heard it said many times before that Bernard Pietenpol measured tothe middle of his saw kerf. It explains the discrepancies. Built the woodfirst and make the metal parts to fit your airframe as suggested by DonCooley and others. Experiment a little, make subtle changes after a lot ofthought and be sure you don't add weight.John Mc "No two Piets are exactly alike!"----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John McNarry"
> > > Steve,> I remember, (I think), reading a comment from an old time builder,that > it is best to build the wooden structure, then adapt the metal fittingsto > your own particular situation, as there will be variations from plane to > plane. Make cardboard mock-ups of the fittings, then transfer them tometal > and fabricate fittings from that. This is to avoid fittings that > don't...fit. Makes sense to me, and that's the approach I'm using. Keepus > posted on your results.> Don Cooley> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet drawings.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Leopold"
> >> >> > Steve,> > I remember, (I think), reading a comment from an old time builder,> that> > it is best to build the wooden structure, then adapt the metal fittings> to> > your own particular situation, as there will be variations from plane to> > plane. Make cardboard mock-ups of the fittings, then transfer them to> metal> > and fabricate fittings from that. This is to avoid fittings that> > don't...fit. Makes sense to me, and that's the approach I'm using.Keep> us> > posted on your results.> > Don Cooley> >> >> >> >>>________________________________________________________________________________