Pietenpol-List: rib stitching

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
hey could any one answer a question for me ? in stitching the wing rib,( 1) do you cover, stitch , then tape and finish;( 2) or cover, tape,then stitch and finish ? I did the first on my first wing , then got towondering .Thanks, Owlnhttp://pages.prodigy.net________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 08:40:59 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: rib stitching

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joe
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Leo Powning
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: nle97(at)juno.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: rib stitching
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bob Seibert"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Source of shackles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bob Seibert
You can find oil guages at the regular aircraft supply houses, or at theStewart Warner guage sitehttp://www.stewartwarner.com/walt------------- ... ---------- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Source of shackles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bob Seibert
Bob I don't remeber if I read this in the BPA newsletter or earlier on thissite but it seems to me that one of us had tried using motorcycle chainmaster links as shackles. The test if I remeber right was a length ofaircraft cable shackled to a tree and a Ford Bronco. The cable and shackleswon. It would probably work although I would suggest that industrial masterlinks with drilled pins for cotter keys would allow for safety wiring thelink.Test it! if you trust it, use it!John Mc----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "owln"
Don't know what process you're using but Polyfiber has a really good manual.It shows their whole process including covering, stitching, taping etc.(and what order to perform in) Also a VHS tape is available. Helped me aLOT.Best, Bert----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Source of shackles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
A quick hint on fittings, maybe I even read it here on the piet list.Get a saber saw, and a fine tooth hacksaw blade. shorten the blade, and Grind away the back until it fits the saber saw.Use this to cut your sheet steel, and plate. Sure works better than a hacksaw.Bob>From: "Bob Seibert" >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: List Pietenpol >Subject: Pietenpol-List: Source of shackles>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:46:22 -0600>>>>Can anyone out there advise on a good source of cable shackles?>Looks like I need about 12 of them for my project and I hate to pay $5>apiece for them! Any suggestions?>Also, is there a good place to find an oil temp guage with about a 7>foot long capillary to go from my A-65 to the rear pit? Seems like I saw>some with long capillarys in a catalog somewhere but I can't locate it>now.>By the way, there sure is a lot of 4130 steel shavings on my shop floor>and I have only just begun to make all the fittings! This Piet is a>fittings monster! I sure am getting good with a hacksaw and file! (My>hands look like I have been refereeing a cat fight!)>Regards,>Bob Seibert>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:47:28 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard Navratil"
I am looking for information on rib stitching. Some time back (severalyears) I was shown rib stitching that as I recall, pulled the knots underthe fabric as you progressed to the next stitch. I can't find anyinformation on it now that I need it. Can some one help me out on this? Ialso saw an illustrated article a few months ago ( I think) that showed amock set up to practice rib stitching. I only subscribe to the Pietenpolnews letter and EAA Sport Pilot but seem unable to find the article. Doesanyone recall seeing such an article.Thanks for any helpCarol and RalphRaymond________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ralph"
Order the Stits covering guide from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks. It haseverything you need to know about the covering and painting process.Dick N.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Clif Dawson
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: rib stitching

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
I've got my rib stiching technique down, having just finished the tail feathers.Now I'm ready to start the wings and would appreciate any helpful suggestions.My basic plan is to prop one up on edge and with a helper on each side, passthe needles through back and forth. This sounds good, but I'm not sure howthe person can find the hole on the other side as they pass the needle through.I've been advised to do three needles/ribs at the same time, which makesa lot of sense.I know once we start, we'll figure these things out, but I like to stand on anyone'sshoulders whenver possible.Thanks, hope you're all well!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: rib stitchingDate: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:52:00 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Lou Wither
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave Case
Well, having just learned how to rib stitch myself, I will say that I did it the way Corky had originally done it on the vertical stab... marked the stitch locations and then fired up my pointy little soldering iron to melt little holes in the fabric at each stitch location. Made it real easy to see through and pass the needle through, and super easy to pull in the knots to hide them. I didn't even try NOT pre-punching the holes and it would seem to me to be a lot harder to pull the knots inside to hide them if you don't pre-punch.Did the same thing with the bolt holes... melted them through the fabric with my soldering iron prior to Poly-Spray and Poly-Tone. Turned out swell.Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:19:25 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: rib stitchingDouwe,It's pretty easy to make additional Long Needles, out of a piece of steel welding rod of the appropriate diameter. Just taper a long sharp point on oneend, and flatten the other end with the hammer and anvil, then drill a hole inthe flattened end to pass the thread through.Chuck G.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
Hi guys,I want to thank you all for the excellent ideas. It's time like this that thegroup really shines, real "hands on" ideas!! I'm getting the hang of it, I havn'ttried the soldering gun thing, but think I will, plus that would really letme see through the hole easily.And Mike, yes I am hiding the knots!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:15:22 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "gcardinal"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: rib stitchingcan anyone tell me if i should rib stitch the stabilizer and elevators thanks Randy Bush________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: RBush96589(at)aol.com
Yes, they should be stitched. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Catdesigns
I'm not really worried, or even thinking about moving the wing. All airplanes move the wing to correct for CG (biplanes or parasols anyway). If I move the wing, the geometry is what it is.What I am TRYING to get to is that in the '33 plans, the rear gear fitting (and therefore strut fitting) does NOT line up with the cluster of side trusses where they meet the longeron. The rear ash cross piece is ahead of the cluster, making the gear fittings (and therefore strut fitting) closer together than the upper end at the wing spars. I'm not worried about safety, I have no doubt that it is plenty strong. I wonder if this was an intentional change by BHP, or a mistake in the drawings. Like I have said, I would assume that everyone who has built a Piet has reached this point and noticed the discrepancy. I want to know what everyone has done about it. SHOULD the struts be parallel?? Does it even matter???? It looks to me like if I move the rear fitting back to the cluster (where the F&G and Hoopman plans show it) it makes the rear gear leg have a really flat angle such that I am not sure it adds much strength. Maybe BHP deliberately moved the fitting forward to reduce the angle?? Those of us building the Jenny gear need to figure this out. I know there are plenty of airplanes out there with Jenny gear, what have those people done????Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: rib stitching

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Randy,I did. As recommended in the Poly Fiber manual.PeterWonthaggi AustraliaHYPERLINK "http://www.cpc-world.com/"http://www.cp ... --Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter W Johnson
Keep in mind, even if you do stitch the tail (which I do not think is required) you can do single stitches with quarter-sized tapes at a greater spacing. You'd be surprised how much weight you can save in a critical area.Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Bending Flat Steel - fittings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Egan
JohnI bent mine around on a vise. I made the first bend to about 45 degrees and then the second about the same, continue bending as best possible. I then used a scrap piece of solid steel, approx 6"x8"x1" thick and used it as a guide and closed the vice on it. I drilled holed in the steel bar and used it as a cutting guide for bolt holes.Dick N. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dick Navratil
Harbor Freight has something called a "vise brake" It has a V way on one side and an anvil on the other. It is magnetic and you open the jaws of your vise and put it in place then close the vise on the metal and it bends it. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
Subject: Pietenpol-List: rib stitchingthanks every one for the response on the rib stitching. I got the elevators,rudder,and vert. stab. done this afternoon,after you get the hang ofit it is a satisfying thing to do. also,Mike Cuy if you read this I talked to you at Brodhead about getting some sketches of your trim system,so if you get a chance i would like to see them. thanks Randy Bush________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Bending Flat Steel - fittings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jim Markle"
You can always just cut out the pieces separately and weld the top piece on, which it actually does not need anyway, other airplanes only have the flat side fittings without a strap over the top of the spar. It probably does not add anything but weight anyway.Gene. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
I can't way I enjoyed rib stitching but I will say once I got set up and hada system, it wasn't bad at all. You can hit it hard and get it done in acouple of days if you're wired that way.I layed the wing nose down, marked all the holes and burned tiny holes ateach spot. Then made up some long straight "needles" from welding rod (orbuy them), got the lights nice and bright, turned on some music andstationed a friend on the other side. Then we just passed the needle backand forth to eachother. By looking through the premade holes, you can seeinto the wing to the needle to the correct opposite hole quite easily. Goesreally quickly.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA Newsletter PDF

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "pjb"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: rib stitchingMy grandson had the great idea of sending the needle back through backwardsrather than trying to hit the hole with a curved tip. The curved tip isonly for when you are going to the next set of holes.Try it. it seems backwards but it is faster.I found stitching to be like Zen Yoga (I guess). Set it up in a place thatis comfortable. I did it under a nice shade tree. Put on some good musicor Prairie home companion and have coffee or cokes available and just relaxand stitch.Kind of like cleaning my guns. It can be soothing and calming. (the voicestell me to make sure my guns are clean!)Oh yeah, If the Prairie home companion pretty good joke show is on, don'ttry to stitch. You won't get anything done from laughing so much.Blue Skies,Steve D.On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> I can=99t way I enjoyed rib stitching but I will say once I got set up and> had a system, it wasn=99t bad at all. You can hit it hard and get it done in> a couple of days if you=99re wired that way.>>> I layed the wing nose down, marked all the holes and burned tiny holes at> each spot. Then made up some long straight =9Cneedles=9D from welding rod (or> buy them), got the lights nice and bright, turned on some music and> stationed a friend on the other side. Then we just passed the needle back> and forth to eachother. By looking through the premade holes, you can see> into the wing to the needle to the correct opposite hole quite easily.> Goes really quickly.>>> Douwe>> *>===========.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List>======================om/contribution>===========>> *>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA Newsletter PDF
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Chuck,Thankyou very much for your reply, I'll send you an email.Ray,I'll post info in a new thread.Cheers,PatriciaRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Steve, Douwe, Gary,I'm listening to the Prairie Home Companion as I write this! Sounds like a good idea. Douwe also had some good suggestions. I will follow them all and start stitching in a few days. Gary promised I could get one wing done in 8 hours! The stop watch will be running! I finished covering the top of the wing today. Will shrink it tomorrow and start installing the re-Inforcing tapes. But my wife says we have to go to a performance tomorrow afternoon, damn!Thanks guys,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Aug 15, 2015, at 7:30 AM, Steven Dortch wrote:> > My grandson had the great idea of sending the needle back through backwards rather than trying to hit the hole with a curved tip. The curved tip is only for when you are going to the next set of holes.> > Try it. it seems backwards but it is faster.> > I found stitching to be like Zen Yoga (I guess). Set it up in a place that is comfortable. I did it under a nice shade tree. Put on some good music or Prairie home companion and have coffee or cokes available and just relax and stitch.> > Kind of like cleaning my guns. It can be soothing and calming. (the voices tell me to make sure my guns are clean!)> > Oh yeah, If the Prairie home companion pretty good joke show is on, don't try to stitch. You won't get anything done from laughing so much. > > Blue Skies,> Steve D.> >> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:>> I can=99t way I enjoyed rib stitching but I will say once I got set up and had a system, it wasn=99t bad at all. You can hit it hard and get it done in a couple of days if you=99re wired that way.>> >> >> >> I layed the wing nose down, marked all the holes and burned tiny holes at each spot. Then made up some long straight =9Cneedles=9D from welding rod (or buy them), got the lights nice and bright, turned on some music and stationed a friend on the other side. Then we just passed the needle back and forth to eachother. By looking through the premade holes, you can see into the wing to the needle to the correct opposite hole quite easily. Goes really quickly.>> >> >> >> Douwe>> >> >> >> " target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List>> tp://forums.matronics.com>> _blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution>> > > > > -- > Blue Skies,> Steve D> > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: rib stitching

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
The runway at home is 150' long and 7,000' wide. Really. :)--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: rib stitching
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
Ray,It sounds to me like your wife just signed up to help you do some stitching. ;)--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 23:12:29 +0000 (UTC)