ADS-B and Transponder thoughts

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Steve D

ADS-B and Transponder thoughts

Post by Steve D »

I am debating putting a transponder in my Piet. I will be flying between San Antonio and Austin. A somewhat busy airspace. It would obviously have to be a cheap one.

this interests me as well
http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/Time ... 666-1.html

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Blue Skies,
Steve D
taildrags

Re: ADS-B and Transponder thoughts

Post by taildrags »

My thoughts:

1. Radios cost money and don't fly the airplane.

2. Electrical system costs money and doesn't fly the airplane.

3. Operating the radios distracts the pilot and doesn't fly the airplane.

4. Transponders tell ATC where the airplane is but the pilot can see that by looking out of the airplane, and ATC can't fly the airplane.

5. I get enjoyment from flying the airplane, flying it inexpensively, avoiding distractions while I'm flying, keeping my head outside the cockpit, not talking to ATC if I don't have to, and flying the airplane.

6. What was the question again? ;o)
Steve D

Re: ADS-B and Transponder thoughts

Post by Steve D »

Trust Oscar to boil it down to the basics.

What I want to do is fly from my new home/hangar at TE86 back and forth to my old hangar at 8T8. It is only 41 miles straight line. But it goes directly over Randolph AFB and San Antonio International. One guy told me it is not a problem, you call both of them and then climb to 5500 feet and cross. Heck by the time I have climbed to 5500 feet I could be way around that airspace. Of course, if I go very far around It will take an hour to get there.

I will figure it out before it is flying!

Blue Skies,
Steve D