Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: harvey rule
Hey,Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 07:34:43 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Subject: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dopeHey,Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:14:54 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dopeHey,Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Douwe Blumberg douweblumberg(at)earthlink.net
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dopeDouwe,Can only highly recommend the Stits system of "dopes", over the last 40years I've used nitrate dopes and epoxy systems, etc. But most happy withStit's PVC system, get a HVLP spray gun with top loading of resin/dope andyou won't go wrong. Think Stit's only has one price and bunches ofsuppliers. I buy my stuff from a large paint industrial/automotive paintsupply house in Anchorage. Don't know where you are, but look in yellowpages for any DuPont or ICI automotive paint distributor (the big guys thatsupply the auto repair paint shops), Stits distributes their product thrusome of these guys. And/or pull up Stit's website and look for theirdistributors in your area, they're cheaper than Spruce and the shippingproblem of red label is eliminated. I didn't use Stits fabric, just plainDacron polyester fabric from Airspruce.Gordon BowenHomer AKOriginal Message:-----------------
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dopeThe PolyFiber system is the best, however many people have used exteriorlatex house paint on their homebuilts successfully at a tenth the price. Ithought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Then I talked to a lot ofpeople including a Broadhead EAA chapter member who has built and restoredover a dozen planes. They sold me on the idea. I talked to aSherwin-Williams person about how long their paint lasts. He said their moreexpensive acrilic latax is guaranteed for 25 years. Said that within thelast 5 years they have changed the chemistry of the paint to make it staymore flexible so freezing and thawing won't effect it, which is just what wewant on our fabric.I think Bernie would have approved of the idea.Also many people just brush it on, no spray equipment to buy and maintain.On 1/6/06, Phillips, Jack wrote:>> Jack.Phillips(at)cardinal.com>>> I heartily concur with Gorden and highly recommend the Stits PolyFiber> system. Good products and they won't burn. Once you've seen a> demonstration of how fast fabric with butyrate or nitrate dope burns and> then watch them hold a torch to fabric treated with their products you> will become a believer. Check them out at: http://www.polyfiber.com/> The distributor I used was Aircraft Technical Support, run by Jim and> Dondi Miller. Great folks to work with. Their website is:> http://www.aircrafttechsupport.com/>>> Jack Phillips> NX899JP "Icarus Plummet">> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland at7000ft(at)gmail.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dopeRick, I noticed you live in Colorado. I am skiing at Keystone and thoughtabout trying to visit your Piet project tomorrow. Any ideas? It looks likeyou are just south of Denver.I am one of 6 Big Piet builders in Georgia.Barry DavisOriginal Message:-----------------
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope>>>Hey,>>Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?>>Douwe>>> > > >>> > > >>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:50:23 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bed(at)mindspring.com"
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope>>> Hey,>> Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?>> Douwe>>>>--Rick Holland"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad"________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Cooper
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Pietenpol-List: airdraft dope>>> Hey,>> Anyone have any ideas for the best price on aircraft dopes?>> Douwe>>===============================================================================================================>>--Rick Holland"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad"________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:16:57 -0600