Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: pietn38b(at)aol.com
Hi guys, I am new to this list also but I love the look of the Piet, theslow mo. the high viz, low cost (relatively speaking) the old look and thebuild it your selfishness of the Piet. I am a first time builder-to-be soonI hope and I really like what I see in the Aircamper. I was somewhatpuzzled and dismayed though when I saw one advertised on E-Bay that said theempty weight was ~775 lbs. I understand that the max. gross is ~1060 lbs.leaving according to my calculations ~285 of useful. With my non-standardweight of 245 lbs. there doesn't seem to be much leeway for fuel andpassengers. I do understand that the empty weight is a function of themanner in which the aircraft is built, the accessories added, electrics (ornot) picnic basket weight etc. but I would appreciate if you folks couldgive me some idea of the "Typical" empty, useful weights of your real worldmachines. You might also include some idea of the accessories or lackthereof included on your machines. I would like to get some idea of whether I need to stop the drooling andlook elsewhere or tell the missus that she is going to have to go on a"Crash" diet to get down to the 40 lb. passenger weight limit. I will do mypart to lose the eight pounds or so for the gallon of fuel to feed thehungry hoard under the cowling at least for a quick turn around the pastureand dead stick 'er in hoping the ole bull doesn't see Piet as competitionfor his harem at touchdown.Anyway I do thank you in advance for the info or a "steer" in the rightdirection.Thanks,Rusted________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Ash
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"RustedMy Piet uses a corvair engine with a minimal electric sys. for the ignition. My empty weight came in at 625 lbs. and it shows a gross on the data plate of 1200 lbs. It has been flown at that weight several times. Just watch the"extras" or adding a little more bracing here and there and you can build a good light airplane. I have had more fun with the Piet, both building and flying , than any other airplane I have owned. Have fun Jim Ballewhttp://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:48:04 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
matronics

> > Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Ash
matronics

>> > Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jim Ash"
As in the words to that song, "It Ain't Necessarily So!".I have a nicely built tube and fabric Piet with a Cont. A-65 engine in it and its barebones empty wt. is 703 lb.Roman Bukolt NX20795----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Roman Bukolt"
I was wondering about that. My nicley built stick and fabric Piet with a cont. A-65 engine, barebones weighs 669 on certified scales. I orignally weighed it on bathroom scales and it weighed a lot more. A good reason to find a set of certified scales (check with any car club or racing club).Gene----- Original Message -----
matronics

>>> Pietenpol-List: Another Pesky "Newbie"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Oscar Zuniga"
> ________________________________________________________________________________