Re: Pietenpol-List: Cross Country in a Piet, You won't forget it

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Cross Country in a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "G. Robert Stetson"
Good post there ,Bob. Nice to see you on the list here. I hope you will be able to make it to Brodhead this year.Dick N.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "=?utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSZWNpbmU=?="
okay. So I guess no I just have to decide which would be baggage. I'm thinkingthe wing will be for fuel.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Cross Country in a Piet, You won't forget it
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
Nothing like getting low to read the signs of navigation" I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the town of Poath......... Poth!Poth......."Doc DillhofferAs I have heard it said: all things in life can be answered and attributed to TGWP.JohnSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> shad bell
Life and The Great Waldo PepperAnswer to the recent message thread of spousal support and aviation/ Pietenpol:"I knew she wasn't worth top billing."See you all in about a month.-john-John HofmannVice-President, Information TechnologyThe Rees Group, Inc.2810 Crossroads Drive, Ste 3800Madison, WI 53718Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150Fax: 608.443.2474Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.comOn Jun 22, 2008, at 9:10 PM, John Recine wrote:> >> Nothing like getting low to read the signs of navigation>> " I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the town of > Poath......... Poth! Poth.......">> Doc Dillhoffer>> As I have heard it said: all things in life can be answered and > attributed to TGWP.>> John>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Cross Country in a Piet, You won't

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
> To:pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Cross Country in a Piet, You won't > forget it>>> The most memorable trip I have flown was a cross country in a piet. > Centerburg Ohio to poplar Grove ILL in 2006. Learned more about > flying on that trip than all my 200 hrs before that. No GPS, No > Radios except handheld and only a sectional chart and wristwatch for > navigation. That is "Real flying". I got low a couple times to > double check the name painted on the water towers to make sure I was > on track. Had my 1st precationary landing for engine problems, the > worst cross wind I ever landed in, in a taildragger (27 gust to 36 > kts) at Howell New Lenox Airport in ILL, which is no longer there. > Which brings up a good argument for having a CURRENT sectional > chart, new lennox was closed 2 weeks after I landed there to make > room for houses, and I am damn glad it was still there. I learned > that weather briefers are very often wrong about forecasts, even if > only 1 hour into the future. And the final lesson of that trip was > It takes lots more planning and effort to trailer !> an airplane back from the previously mentioned cross country flight > in a pietenpol. The more time that goes by the more memerable that > trip becomes. I can't wait to do the first part (the flying part) > all over again next month, OH71 to C37 Brodhead WI.>> Shad>> "G. Robert Stetson" wrote: --> Pietenpol- > List message posted by: "G. Robert Stetson">> To those who question the wisdom of making long trips in a Piet style> airplane, I always ask "Why not?". Remember, a long trip is just a> bunch of short ones end-to-end. My longest ride was from Marlborough,> MA (about 30 miles west of Boston) to Portland, OR in an Aeronca 7AC> Champ with another guy from the airport. What could be more fun than> two guys that get along well together in an antique airplane headed > west> with each carrying a CVS bag full of clean underwear. We each took our> oldest, most worn out underwear so the payload got lighter as we> approached the Rockies. The entire trip was made at less than 3000 AGL> and was done with maps. No GPS. No electrical system. Handheld radio> that was used only when we were in the vicinity of an airport we> intended to use. We landed at two towered fields the whole trip and> only because it was necessary. The first was Casper, WY and we stopped> there because we needed to leave from there on our leg to Rock Springs> with full tanks. The second towered field was the final destination.>> I have made three trips from Marlborough, MA to Lock Haven PA and back> for the annual Piper fly-in in my J3 Cub, twice alone and once with a> passenger. Not an issue. It just takes a while. You may have seen my>>________________________________________________________________________________