Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag Wires

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle links

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Dick Carden
Jack and Dick:Attached are a few photos of how I used drive chain links to replaceclevises. The chain size is a number 50. Get a length of #50 roller linkchain, 2 feet should be enough. Grind the pins off and then drive the pinsout with a punch. The inner link, with the rollers, are scrap, you just usethe outer links. Wherever you normally would use a clevis, replace with thechain links. As you can see form the photos, you use a clevis pin andcotter pin to hold the assembly together, with a washer under the cotterpin. You may need to use additional washers to space things out. The clevispins for a #50 chain are AN393 at whatever length you need. I think most ofmine where 13's and 17's.Rick SchreiberValparaiso, IN> [Original Message]
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack T. Textor"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Buz Baer's PietThe Piet was bought by Dick Schaflee up in north central Ks. Dick was atBrodhead this year. Said he has it covered now. He occasionally watchesthe list, perhaps h will respond. Leon Stefan Nickerson Ks.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag WiresDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:15:21 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag Wires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag Wires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
As I recall, Corky told me he tuned his by blowing into a moonshine jug and matching the sound with each wire. Would that be a B flat jug??Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag Wires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Drag-Anti Drag WiresCaution: When tensioning by sound (tuning) be sure you check the cable lengths and tune each like length to the same pitch.Nathan**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=ao ... 0000000014)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dennis Engelkenjohn"
Confession time. When it came time to re-rig the wings and tail surfaces on 41CCafter the rebuild, I used the "TLAR" method (that looks about right). Or,in this case, the "TSAR" (that sounds about right) method. Less filling, tastesgreat, and after three annual inspections by an A&P, nothing has been changed.And since we're on the subject of the Tsar (Czar), I guess you know what they callthe children of the Czar? Yep... "czardines" ;o)Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Buz Baer's Pietenpol, has anyone seen it?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "charles loomis"
Chuck Gantzer would be the one to ask about him, as Salina is not too farfrom Wichita.dennis----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Access cover for rear stabilizer

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
One could have used a simple lightweight nut plate. No need to cut an accesshole then with all the hardware. Little weight at the tail means a lot of weightat the nose.WF2Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 3426#203426=0A=0A=0A ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

From: zharvey(at)bellsouth.netTo: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com Re: Pie

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: zharvey(at)bellsouth.netTo: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.comSubject: Re: Pie
I know that if emptied an entire jug of shine I would B Flat on my kiester.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Randy Bush's Piet makes front page

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Way to go, Randy! When I was in Jackson last weekend, I talked with my oldflight instructor, Wimpy, who taught me to fly back in 1969. Turns out heknows you. Small world!I'm already starting to work on Karen about flying the Piet to Brodheadagain next year,so maybe we can finally fly together. We'll see - when Ifirst mentioned it she expressed considerable displeasure, since I had saidI needed to fly there this year because I wouldn't be able to in 2008.Jack PhillipsNX899JPRaleigh, NCBut born and raised in Jackson, Tennessee _____
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master links

Post by matronics »

I used master links in my aileron idler connection. I simply assembled themnormally, including the spring clip, then wrapped safety wire around the center. The center being the hour-glass 'waist' between the two pins...Steve E.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

I used master links in my aileron idler connection. I simply assembled themnormally, including the spring clip, then wrapped safety wire around the center. The center being the hour-glass 'waist' between the two pins...Steve E.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Randy Bush's Piet makes front page

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dick Carden
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dick Carden
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master linksI used master links in my aileron idler connection. I simply assembled them normally,including the spring clip, then wrapped safety wire around the center.The center being the hour-glass 'waist' between the two pins...Steve E.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master links

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack T. Textor"
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Access cover for rear stabilizer

Post by matronics »

One could have used a simple lightweight nut plate. No need to cut an access holethen with all the hardware. Little weight at the tail means a lot of weightat the nose.WF2Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 3426#203426________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Dick,I don't think there is such a thing as a cotter pin master link. But thereare drilled AN393 clevis pins. You will need to determine the length youneed, based on the application you have.Get some #50 roller chain (this chain has pins that are on 5/8" centers) ,and disassemble the chain into little bits. The only part you will want isthe flat outer links (these are about 0.08" thick). These links have holesthat are 0.20" diameter. The clevis pins are 0.19" diameter, which willresult in a nice loose (non-binding) fit. Then get some #10 flat washers andsome 1/16" cotter pins, and put them together as shown in the attachedimage.Bill C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master linksYes, that would make it easier. I no longer have the plane. I'll do some digging.....Steve e
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master links

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: charles loomis
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
As I recall=2C Corky told me he tuned his by blowing into a moonshine jug and matching the sound with each wire. Would that be a B flat jug??Gene----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle links

Post by matronics »

> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle links>>> I'm a bit confused about what motorcycle links to use, and how to usethem. Does anyone have photos of how motorcycle links are used? If so, I'dappreciate directions to a site. Thanks, Dick Carden >>=0A=0A=0A ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:23:48 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master links

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: charles loomis
> Dick,> > I don't think there is such a thing as a cotter pin> master link. But there> are drilled AN393 clevis pins. You will need to determine> the length you> need, based on the application you have.> Get some #50 roller chain (this chain has pins that are on> 5/8" centers) ,> and disassemble the chain into little bits. The only part> you will want is> the flat outer links (these are about 0.08" thick).> These links have holes> that are 0.20" diameter. The clevis pins are> 0.19" diameter, which will> result in a nice loose (non-binding) fit. Then get some #10> flat washers and> some 1/16" cotter pins, and put them together as shown> in the attached> image.> > Bill C. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motorcycle master links

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > Bill Church
> > > > Actually there are, go to a farm machinery dealer, I> can't tell you what type of machinery, but I do know> they exist. Also check out some Half links, I bet there are> some uses them as well.> > --- On Wed, 9/10/08, Bill Church> wrote:>