Re: Pietenpol-List: another question for group

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gene Rambo"
OK, guys, what is the more common, a throttle in the front or not?Gene________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: another question for group

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
I am looking at piano hinges for the ailerons. I am assuming that everyone is using the loop type rather than the extruded type. The longest length I can find is 6 ft though, and it looks like the aileron needs a 7 ft hinge. What is everyone doing??Gene ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: another question for groupDate: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:28:52 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
I took the front throttle out of Felix the GN-1. Still left the hard rod from theaft throttle to front of the front pit where it changes to flex cable. If Iwas in the front pit and needed to change the throttle I could just grab therod and move it, at the same time it would be hard for a passenger to screw upthe throttle setting. That is what caused the demise of the Poplar Piet.Skip----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accident

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
OK what really happened? I am curious.?RSRob Stapleton, PhotojournalistAnchorage, Alaska907-230-9425KL2ANSkype:rob.stapleton.jrIM Windows Live Messenger: foto(at)alaska.net-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accident

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accident

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Ok Shad: Dont leave us hanaging here!!!! inquiring minds want to know - - - - Michael ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: and . . . another question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
Gene, I used the 6 foot one . Makes a good gap closer. My recent test flights indicate good aileron control.--Jim Lagowski ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: and . . . another question

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accidentSounds like just as likely a scenario...Boyce________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accident

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I think you're right...that does sound crazy.Imagine how difficult it would be to push open a door in a 180 mph wind, andpass through it, unwillingly.And then, I would think the plane would travel quite a bit more than a milefurther than a non-aerodynamic human, unless the plane was flying reallylow.I don't buy it.My Piet won't be travelling at speeds anywhere near 180 mph, but I'm goingto rib stitch my tail all the same. _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bill Church
I don't claim to be a "good friend", but I knew Steve fairly well. I think the falling out thing is preposterous. As far as I know, the fabric on the aileron was the cause of the accident.Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

I think if I am not mistaken his wife was a pilot as well?michael ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: charles loomis
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Steve Whittman, accident

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
> I am told Steve had a bladder "problem" and he had> to go more often than usual. The accident airplane was> designed specifically for Steve to fly non stop from> Floridia to Oshkosh, and fast. I guess he used to carry a> pee bottle with him, especcially on long flights. Well the> only way he could pee was to loosen his belt, scoot to the> edge of the seat and pee. Well, I am told Steve's> body was found over a mile from the crash site. He fell> out of the airplane! That is the theory I guess, and he> took off the horiz stab on his way out (180mph+). Sounds> crazy and tragic I know, but to me it makes more sense than> to say Whittman covered his airplane wrong. I don't> know him from Adam but he built how many airplanes? All> fast and similar construction. May not be the case, but> him and his wife are the only one's who will ever know> for sure.> > Shad ________________________________________________________________________________