RE: Pietenpol-List: MY CONTINENTAL A-80 AIRCRAFT ENGINE on EBAY & YouTube.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: MY CONTINENTAL A-80 AIRCRAFT ENGINE on EBAY & YouTube.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: n900ml(at)hotmail.com
For some reason=2C my YouTube link doesn't seem to come up=2C so here it is again. Maybe Mattronics has something that eliminates links=2C if so=2C go to YouTube and just type in this (A-80 AIRCRAFT ENGINE.)Sorry.... Here is the link one more try. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O31jul0OYUI
matronics

Pietenpol-List: MY CONTINENTAL A-80 AIRCRAFT ENGINE on EBAY & YouT

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
PIETERS=85I am selling my Continental A-80 engine (as I advised here a month or so ago) and now seen on YouTube. Just type in =93A-80 Continental Aircraft Engine.=94 If that doesn=92t work=2C use this direct link =85http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O31jul0OYUIThis engine will go on Ebay and I=92ll post a note here to give interested parties a =93heads-up=94 the day it goes up for auction. It will be sold through Ebay to the highest bidder. I=92ll probably start the auction at $1. It will be necessary for the winning bidder to pick the engine up at Bruce Field in Ballinger=2C Texas. Here are some details about the history of this engine. This is a long story and if you ARE NOT in the market for an engine being sold for PARTS ONLY please save yourself some time and don=92t bother reading this.I made this video for YouTube in order to show some of the =93highlights=94 about the overhaul on this engine done by my father in 2005. My father was an A&P Mechanic and had 5 type ratings in jets when he retired. He overhauled my Continental A-80 engine and passed away soon after signing the engine logbook. It is bittersweet having to sell this engine=2C because his signature in the logbook is the last thing he ever signed before he passed away in 2005.My dad learned he had a relapse of colon cancer and at age 85=2C and he simply decided NOT to undergo chemotherapy a second-time after seeing my mom go though cancer treatment with chemo and radiation not working for her=2C just a year earlier. Getting my dad to overhaul the engine helped to keep him occupied when that he was living alone as a widower and I simply did not have the savvy to attempt this myself. My dad was tough as nails and the last thing he wanted to accomplish in life was to overhaul my Continental A-80 engine. When he was 78=2C he overhauled my Lycoming 0-320 E2A engine. In my youth=2C he overhauled my 1963 Ford van engine=2C my 1965 Mustang engine and transmission=2C half a dozen motorcycle engines=2C he built boats=2C campers=2C travel trailers. When he was younger=2C he rebuilt and flew several old Army Air Corp trainers. He was an instructor pilot during WW2 in the Army Air Corp. The man was a gifted mechanic and I was the =93artist=94. He built stuff=2C I made them look nice. It was a great partnership for 54 years. When he was 82=2C he bought a Volkswagen Westfalia and we pulled the engine from that (see this on YouTube=2C =93Rebuilding my dad=92s Westfalia). I can=92t even remember how many VW based dune buggies my dad and I built=2C but it was ALWAYS a common sight to see split engine cases and air cooled engines in our garage when I was young.I am not in the position to warranty this engine or guarantee the sufficiency of this engine for use in either a certificated or experimental airplane. By being =93up-front=94 with everyone about the condition of my father (he was in Hospice Care at home when he did this overhaul) it is my goal to be as above-board as possible. I am selling this engine on Ebay as a =93PARTS ENGINE.=94 All bidders will need to understand this is a salvage project for the value of the parts that can be obtained when they disassemble the engine. A Bill Of Sale signed by me and the successful bidder will reflect =93PARTS ENGINE.=94I can tell you that had I NOT become so decrepit myself=2C I would have had no reservation about putting this engine on the Piet project my dad and I were working on. My dad NEVER let me down=2C and my confidence level in this engine is very high. But that being said=2C I want to emphasize=2C THIS IS A PARTS ENGINE and must be disassembled by whoever purchases it=2C for use of parts that can be salvaged.This engine was originally in a Pietenpol I bought in November 2003 (the first time my dad was sick with colon cancer). I had previously committed to travel out-of-state with my father to inspect and purchase a Pietenpol=2C but my father became ill within a day or so of my trip out of town and he wasn=92t able to go with me. The guy who was selling a Piet (in 2003) sent me e-mails stating the engine had only 5 hours since major overhaul. I made a quick trip out-of-state to buy the Piet and I brought it home on a trailer.When my dad was finally well enough to leave his house=2C he came out to my farm so we could start the engine. It began leaking oil and gas and ran very rough=2C despite having fresh gasoline (I think the ride back to Texas on a trailer was all that was needed to make this engine spring a leak.) I pulled the engine out of the Pietenpol=2C took it to my father=92s house and we disassembled it in his garage (watch the YouTube video.) It was scary to see what was inside the engine as we pulled the oil tank off=2C removed the cylinders and split the case. The lobes on the camshaft were out of tolerance=2C the crankshaft was so pitted=2C the journals looked like Swiss cheese (see this on YouTube=2C it is pathetic) and the guy who re-built it was so cheap=2C he made many of engine gaskets rather than purchase REAL OEM gaskets. It was also evident old cotter pins were re-used (inside the engine) and the builder failed to adequately safety-wire the oil pick-up tube onto the engine. The tube could have fallen of into the oil sump! (The list of horrors goes on=85)Long story made short (nearly $7=2C000 later) I sent the engine case off to Divco=2C the accessory case went to Drake=2C I bought a NEW camshaft=2C had the cylinders rebuilt (Cerminil) bought a new oil pump-kit=2C new rod bolts=2C all new gaskets=85 the list of new stuff goes on and on and on. Shortly after the case and parts came back=2C my father had a relapse of colon cancer and he basically threw in the towel so to speak. He didn=92t want to do chemo again=2C but he did want to rebuild the engine=85 This was his last priority in life. I think if you will take the time to look at my YouTube video=2C you=92ll agree=2C this is the one of the BEST looking A-series engines you will have ever seen. I spared no expense in bringing this engine back to life. I even bought new air-intake tubes=2C new pushrod tubes and had them powder coated in Candy Apple Blue. I powder coated the valve covers in Continental Gold=85 All new rubber=2C all new clamps=2C all new bolts inside and outside the engine. The Slick Mags appeared relatively new when I bought the Pietenpol=2C They are dual-impulse coupler and they sparked nice and hot. That was the best thing about this Piet project was the new Slick mags. I am not certain where the wiring harness is=2C but I=92m fairly confident I can find them.When I put the engine on Ebay=2C bidders will have to be pre-approved prior to submitting a bid. NOBODY gets to bid unless they contact me through Ebay and state they understand the =93no warranty=2C no guarantee=2C this is a PARTS engine=94 and they understand it is not being intended for use in any airplane because it is a PARTS ENGINE. I simply can=92t take on the liability and as such=2C I=92ll be taking a price-beating on this engine by not stating it is =93airworthy.=94 For anybody wanting to see my receipts=2C yellow tags=2C release forms=2C Cerminil process and ALL THE PARTS I bought=2C I am willing to send you a CD of the receipts and a DVD (as the one YouTube except with better resolution) for $20. I can=92t afford to be mailing CDs and DVDs out to every =93tire-kicker=94 out there and the $20 will be refunded to who ever actually wins the bid. $20 gets you the CD of the receipts with some pictures AND the DVD as shown on YouTube. The DVD should have better resolution than the video I uploaded onto YouTube. Simply send me a money order with your mailing address=2C and I am happy to put the discs and info in the mail to you. My mail address is P.O. Box 1991. Abilene=2C Texas 79604. The video on YouTube isn't too bad=2C but the CD and DVD have greater detail and resolution.Please let me make it clear=2C the engine will be sold on Ebay=2C I will not end the auction early=2C I will not have a buy-it-now price=2C nor an asking price. I added up the receipts I could find=2C and the math comes to around $6=2C600 (not including the powder coating for valve covers=2C air intake tubes=2C pushrod tubes and other engine parts.) My expense on this engine pushes the $7=2C000 mark easily.In a few weeks=2C I will be getting ready the Piet project (NOT THE JUNK PILE I FIRST BOUGHT) BUT THE SECOND FINER EXAMPLE OF fuselage=2C wings=2C center section=2C lift struts etc. and offering pictures and a YouTube video of it in about a month or so. It is a Piet Fuselage with Grega wings. It was originally started by an Air Force Maintenance Office who worked on the B-1 program. He was also a B-2 Maintenance Officer at a base in MO. when he retired. It is my understanding he is also an A&P/IA and HE works at Cessna in Wichita=2C Kansas. I felt pretty confident in this guys abilities and this time=2C I took my father with me for a pre-buy inspection. My dad liked what he saw on this project and I bought it.The original builder had this Aircamper project set up for a Corvair=2C but I elected to go with my Continental A-80. I sold the Corvair parts and motormount to a TACO official not too far from me. MORE DETAILS ABOUT THIS WILL COME IN A FEW WEEKS.Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today._________________________________________________________________Stay up to date on your PC=2C the Web=2C and your mobile phone with Windows Live________________________________________________________________________________