Pietenpol-List: Update & Alert: Continental A-80 Engine to be sold

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roy Brooks
I received an e-mail this weekend from a friend advising an A&P had looked at my video and my engine has two connecting rods (bottoms can be seen with oil holes facing the wrong way) and there are odd rocker arms... (one of the reasons I wanted to be as up-front on showing the pictures and video... glad this was spotted before I place this up for sale or donate to an aviation museum as a static piece never to be flown again. I recall seeing inside the engine case 3-1941 and I suspect this engine ---or at least the case--- may have been in a trainer during WW2.I can state that when we opened the packaged rocker arms=2C we called AEA in Dallas (where we bought them) and asked them why the rocker arms didn't all look alike. They told us that rocker arms for the "A" series engines are available in several styles (old and new) and that they are interchangeable. Don't know if this is "kosher" but I've heard from other sources that rocker arms (and other parts like brand-new camshafts) are getting harder and harder to find these days... There may be some validity to this=2C but I am no expert on the subject and I advise being skeptical. They might all need to be matched?This being said=2C this engine "project" has a lot of really good parts. I'm wondering if I should disassemble it and sell off the parts? Any suggestions! I simply don't want the liability if some stranger buys this=2C stabs it on an airplane=2C crashes and lawyers start showing up on my front door. My other concern is if someone I don't know (as in a scoundrel) buys this and resells it on Ebay as an airworthy=2C ready to stab engine. (My old "Worlds Fastest" Cherokee was sold in the 1990s to a great guy who moved to Florida=2C a hurricane came in=2C flooded the Cherokee up to and inside the cockpit=2C inside the wing-roots and tailcone. AIG "totaled" the Cherokee=2C sold it." Wentwurth (misspelled on purpose) bought it=2C sold it again and the Cherokee is flying again=2C despite having been exposed to salt water and sitting in a humid Florida environment for 5 months until AIG could settle the claim. The salt content was so evident=2C it changed the color of the carpet. It looked like th salt had "wicked" up pretty darned high. I found the Cherokee on Ebay being advertised basically as "pristine" "worlds fastest Cherokee" not a "rust dog.") I for one don't think that is very reputable and thus my reasoning for trying to be as "communicative" about my A-80 engine.One other observation by the mechanic who saw my video... the rings on a Cermanil engine are different than rings on a regular chrome (and I believe a regular steel jug.) I recall when we bought the rings for this engine=2C we were assured they were the right rings for the nickle-bore process. That's why I took pictures of the rings being placed in the slots=2C and trying to show the numbers on the rings (top ring=2C 2nd down=2C 3rd down 4th down=2C 5th down=2C) In fact=2C my logbook reflects this entry=2C "TOP RING=2C 22206. 2nd 3555A=2C 3rd 35551=2C 4th 3595=2C 5th Ring 3595." The top ring (if memory serves me correct=2C and please understand I have a hard time remembering where I put my car keys on many days) is the "oddball ring" and I think has a higher molybdenum content in it. I recall their saying something along the lines of "chrome rings won't work in a nickle bore cylinder" thus our being so demanding when we were buying the right piston rings. The logbook also has entries concerning the part numbers of the oil pump kit=2C #21343=2C #3562=2C #21160=2C #2456.One thing I like about nickle over the chrome process is I've had step-wear problems in previous engines with chrome jugs. Also=2C nickle holds oil residuals on the surface better than chrome. I flew a Cherokee years ago that sprung a leak=2C dumping all the oil overboard (call me Capt. Exxon Vladez) and that engine had the Cermnil jugs. Teardown showed the crankshaft was shot=2C but the jugs looked pretty darned good. We sent them back to ECI=2C they did a simply refurb (installed valves etc) and the jugs went back on the 0-320 Lycoming. Chrome and Iron cylinders may have held up just fine (without oil) but I was so impressed that I was able to milk the engine to a runway=2C I became a big fan of nickel lined cylinders... Last question=2C I think I'd like to keep the logbook and simply give the sales-receipts and yellow tags to the buyer. The logbook is dated Oct. 21=2C 2005 (my birthday) and for nothing more than sentimentality=2C it has some significance for me.Observations=2C comments and indulgence are very much appreciated. I guess this is like that TV show=2C DEAL or NO DEAL... Should I DISSEMBLE or NO DISSEMBLE? and then sale?_________________________________________________________________Stay up to date on your PC=2C the Web=2C and your mobile phone with Windows Live________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roy Brooks
I received an e-mail this weekend from a friend advising an A&P had looked at my video and my engine has two connecting rods (bottoms can be seen with oil holes facing the wrong way) and there are odd rocker arms... (one of the reasons I wanted to be as up-front on showing the pictures and video... glad this was spotted before I place this up for sale or donate to an aviation museum as a static piece never to be flown again. I recall seeing inside the engine case 3-1941 and I suspect this engine ---or at least the case--- may have been in a trainer during WW2.I can state that when we opened the packaged rocker arms=2C we called AEA in Dallas (where we bought them) and asked them why the rocker arms didn't all look alike. They told us that rocker arms for the "A" series engines are available in several styles (old and new) and that they are interchangeable. Don't know if this is "kosher" but I've heard from other sources that rocker arms (and other parts like brand-new camshafts) are getting harder and harder to find these days... There may be some validity to this=2C but I am no expert on the subject and I advise being skeptical. They might all need to be matched?This being said=2C this engine "project" has a lot of really good parts. I'm wondering if I should disassemble it and sell off the parts? Any suggestions! I simply don't want the liability if some stranger buys this=2C stabs it on an airplane=2C crashes and lawyers start showing up on my front door. My other concern is if someone I don't know (as in a scoundrel) buys this and resells it on Ebay as an airworthy=2C ready to stab engine. (My old "Worlds Fastest" Cherokee was sold in the 1990s to a great guy who moved to Florida=2C a hurricane came in=2C flooded the Cherokee up to and inside the cockpit=2C inside the wing-roots and tailcone. AIG "totaled" the Cherokee=2C sold it." Wentwurth (misspelled on purpose) bought it=2C sold it again and the Cherokee is flying again=2C despite having been exposed to salt water and sitting in a humid Florida environment for 5 months until AIG could settle the claim. The salt content was so evident=2C it changed the color of the carpet. It looked like th salt had "wicked" up pretty darned high. I found the Cherokee on Ebay being advertised basically as "pristine" "worlds fastest Cherokee" not a "rust dog.") I for one don't think that is very reputable and thus my reasoning for trying to be as "communicative" about my A-80 engine.One other observation by the mechanic who saw my video... the rings on a Cermanil engine are different than rings on a regular chrome (and I believe a regular steel jug.) I recall when we bought the rings for this engine=2C we were assured they were the right rings for the nickle-bore process. That's why I took pictures of the rings being placed in the slots=2C and trying to show the numbers on the rings (top ring=2C 2nd down=2C 3rd down 4th down=2C 5th down=2C) In fact=2C my logbook reflects this entry=2C "TOP RING=2C 22206. 2nd 3555A=2C 3rd 35551=2C 4th 3595=2C 5th Ring 3595." The top ring (if memory serves me correct=2C and please understand I have a hard time remembering where I put my car keys on many days) is the "oddball ring" and I think has a higher molybdenum content in it. I recall their saying something along the lines of "chrome rings won't work in a nickle bore cylinder" thus our being so demanding when we were buying the right piston rings. The logbook also has entries concerning the part numbers of the oil pump kit=2C #21343=2C #3562=2C #21160=2C #2456.One thing I like about nickle over the chrome process is I've had step-wear problems in previous engines with chrome jugs. Also=2C nickle holds oil residuals on the surface better than chrome. I flew a Cherokee years ago that sprung a leak=2C dumping all the oil overboard (call me Capt. Exxon Vladez) and that engine had the Cermnil jugs. Teardown showed the crankshaft was shot=2C but the jugs looked pretty darned good. We sent them back to ECI=2C they did a simply refurb (installed valves etc) and the jugs went back on the 0-320 Lycoming. Chrome and Iron cylinders may have held up just fine (without oil) but I was so impressed that I was able to milk the engine to a runway=2C I became a big fan of nickel lined cylinders... Last question=2C I think I'd like to keep the logbook and simply give the sales-receipts and yellow tags to the buyer. The logbook is dated Oct. 21=2C 2005 (my birthday) and for nothing more than sentimentality=2C it has some significance for me.Observations=2C comments and indulgence are very much appreciated. I guess this is like that TV show=2C DEAL or NO DEAL... Should I DISSEMBLE or NO DISSEMBLE? and then sale?Stay up to date on your PC=2C the Web=2C and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here_________________________________________________________________Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster.http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail? ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Ruse
I received an e-mail this weekend from a friend advising an A&P had looked at my video and my engine has two connecting rods (bottoms can be seen with oil holes facing the wrong way) and there are odd rocker arms... (one of the reasons I wanted to be as up-front on showing the pictures and video... glad this was spotted before I place this up for sale or donate to an aviation museum as a static piece never to be flown again. I recall seeing inside the engine case 3-1941 and I suspect this engine ---or at least the case--- may have been in a trainer during WW2.I can state that when we opened the packaged rocker arms=2C we called AEA in Dallas (where we bought them) and asked them why the rocker arms didn't all look alike. They told us that rocker arms for the "A" series engines are available in several styles (old and new) and that they are interchangeable. Don't know if this is "kosher" but I've heard from other sources that rocker arms (and other parts like brand-new camshafts) are getting harder and harder to find these days... There may be some validity to this=2C but I am no expert on the subject and I advise being skeptical. They might all need to be matched?This being said=2C this engine "project" has a lot of really good parts. I'm wondering if I should disassemble it and sell off the parts? Any suggestions! I simply don't want the liability if some stranger buys this=2C stabs it on an airplane=2C crashes and lawyers start showing up on my front door. My other concern is if someone I don't know (as in a scoundrel) buys this and resells it on Ebay as an airworthy=2C ready to stab engine. (My old "Worlds Fastest" Cherokee was sold in the 1990s to a great guy who moved to Florida=2C a hurricane came in=2C flooded the Cherokee up to and inside the cockpit=2C inside the wing-roots and tailcone. AIG "totaled" the Cherokee=2C sold it." Wentwurth (misspelled on purpose) bought it=2C sold it again and the Cherokee is flying again=2C despite having been exposed to salt water and sitting in a humid Florida environment for 5 months until AIG could settle the claim. The salt content was so evident=2C it changed the color of the carpet. It looked like th salt had "wicked" up pretty darned high. I found the Cherokee on Ebay being advertised basically as "pristine" "worlds fastest Cherokee" not a "rust dog.") I for one don't think that is very reputable and thus my reasoning for trying to be as "communicative" about my A-80 engine.One other observation by the mechanic who saw my video... the rings on a Cermanil engine are different than rings on a regular chrome (and I believe a regular steel jug.) I recall when we bought the rings for this engine=2C we were assured they were the right rings for the nickle-bore process. That's why I took pictures of the rings being placed in the slots=2C and trying to show the numbers on the rings (top ring=2C 2nd down=2C 3rd down 4th down=2C 5th down=2C) In fact=2C my logbook reflects this entry=2C "TOP RING=2C 22206. 2nd 3555A=2C 3rd 35551=2C 4th 3595=2C 5th Ring 3595." The top ring (if memory serves me correct=2C and please understand I have a hard time remembering where I put my car keys on many days) is the "oddball ring" and I think has a higher molybdenum content in it. I recall their saying something along the lines of "chrome rings won't work in a nickle bore cylinder" thus our being so demanding when we were buying the right piston rings. The logbook also has entries concerning the part numbers of the oil pump kit=2C #21343=2C #3562=2C #21160=2C #2456.One thing I like about nickle over the chrome process is I've had step-wear problems in previous engines with chrome jugs. Also=2C nickle holds oil residuals on the surface better than chrome. I flew a Cherokee years ago that sprung a leak=2C dumping all the oil overboard (call me Capt. Exxon Vladez) and that engine had the Cermnil jugs. Teardown showed the crankshaft was shot=2C but the jugs looked pretty darned good. We sent them back to ECI=2C they did a simply refurb (installed valves etc) and the jugs went back on the 0-320 Lycoming. Chrome and Iron cylinders may have held up just fine (without oil) but I was so impressed that I was able to milk the engine to a runway=2C I became a big fan of nickel lined cylinders... Last question=2C I think I'd like to keep the logbook and simply give the sales-receipts and yellow tags to the buyer. The logbook is dated Oct. 21=2C 2005 (my birthday) and for nothing more than sentimentality=2C it has some significance for me.Observations=2C comments and indulgence are very much appreciated. I guess this is like that TV show=2C DEAL or NO DEAL... Should I DISSEMBLE or NO DISSEMBLE? and then sale?Stay up to date on your PC=2C the Web=2C and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here_________________________________________________________________See how Windows=AE connects the people=2C information=2C and fun that are part of your life________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:51:21 -0500