Pietenpol-List: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
I added carbon fiber to my laminated mahoghany/spruce cabanes (WAY overkill!). Decided not to do the lift struts in wood because of the weight, but there are several Piets flying out there using wood struts with and without reinforcing laid into a routed center area. Sure looks good.Anyway, for those of you that are using laminated wood for cabanes or struts, I have PLENTY of carbon fiber left over. Probably enough to laminate struts for 100 Piets!I've attached a picture of how I laid the carbon fiber in between the laminations. Other materials, like Kevlar, are probably better in tension than carbon fiber but it added no noticable thickness to the lamination and had to help reinforce the bolt areas. You can just barely see it in the lamination. In fact, after vacuum bagging the whole thing you couldn't even tell the carbon was there until sanding those areas and finding a tiny black area between the laminations. Mostly I figure it probably strenghtened up the bolt hole area to help avoid splitting.So if anyone wants to do the same, contact me OFF LIST (jim_markle(at)mindspring.com) and I'll send you enough material to do your lift struts and cabanes.Jim in Pryor....________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skellytown flyer"
For everyone using Windows XP here is the handiest picture resizing tool in theworld. This link will tell you all about it. I wouldn't be without it.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... man2.mspxI don't know why it wouldn't work with Vista.--------Jim BirkeIra G. Ross Aerospace MuseumRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
I am sure no expert on carbon fiber or any other method of fabric re-inforcment-butdoes the stuff really give much added strength if you cannot pre-tensionit when you lay it up? I don't know-that's why I'm asking.RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "TOM STINEMETZE"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury strutsif its not the smoking kind then its hemp, which is the same plant and or family and fiber material that rope is made of.John**************Free Credit Report and Score Tracking! Get it Now for $0 at CreditReport.com. k)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:41:27 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I wana Bamboo bike!!!!! -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ameet Savant
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Willis
> flyer" > > I am sure no expert on carbon fiber or any other method of> fabric re-inforcment-but does the stuff really give much> added strength if you cannot pre-tension it when you lay it> up? I don't know-that's why I'm asking.Raymond> ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:21:43 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: H RULE
> > > Ameet, if it is, as you say, like reinforced concrete, I> would think putting the fibers in tension would be like> prestressed reinforced concrete, in which steel is tensioned> before pouring the concrete. The finished structure is> stronger than just concrete poured over dormant re-bar. Of> course, those are different materials than epoxy and carbon,> so none of these logical parallels may hold. Moreover, I> only have personal experience with plain old concrete and> re-bar, so my opinion means little. Does your cited> reference cover putting carbon fiber rods or the like in> tension (either for or against)?> Tim in central TX ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: reinforcing for: cabane and jury struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[ASRC Aerospace Corporation]"
...> The problem of composite> materials is in the different ways the different materials> react to stress. Because carbon fiber is MUCH stiffer than> wood, putting the wood/carbon sandwich in tension loads the> carbon fiber much quicker that it does the wood. What> happens is that the carbon could be loaded to near failure> before the wood begins to carry any load. ________________________________________________________________________________