Pietenpol-List: the cost of building

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: the cost of building

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Willis
When I started construction of my first (and only) plans-built homebuilt, the Flying Squirrel that I'mstill working on, I kept a very detailed log of buildtime, tasks, costs, and receipts. I am still keepingit. After more than six years of building and virtuallyno flying, I knew I'd have to have an airplane to flyor I'd lose my flying skills. I bought Corky's Piet soI could keep flying while I continued to build andthat was five years ago now (I first cut wood on theSquirrel eleven years ago).I have learned a lot about the cost of building anairplane. Mostly it consists of dozens of purchasesof $10-$20 range, with a few in the $50-$100 dollar range,once the big ticket items are paid for (wood, engine,instruments). The thing about it is, it's not likewhen you go to buy a new car and have to sign for something with five figures right there, right then.And in the case of working on an airplane that you arealso flying, it's nearly painless. Repairs, upgrades,enhancements- the cost of those is very easy to bear,and so is fuel. No, it's getting into the game that isthe most painful and yet in hindsight, it's really notthat significant.I paid more for a new washer and dryer than it costs for all the wood to build an airframe and wings. I paidmore for my lawnmower than it costs for the glass clothand epoxy resin to build my Flying Squirrel. I paidmore for my daughter's 2004 Camry with over 100K mileson it than for a complete A65 with carb, mags, andexhaust. And yet buying the Camry was so casual thatI met the seller at the parking lot of a mall, handedhim a check, he gave me the papers for it, and I droveoff. Just like that. Buying an airplane engine, ora prop, or almost anything for it- seems to require alot more agonizing, rationalization, and saving up thanit really should.Once you're flying, there is no turning back; you'rehooked. I have never thought about the shipping & handlingcosts for things I buy for the airplane, and althoughI'm sure it's a significant cost, it's nothing comparedwith what I get out of flying my Air Camper. Nothing.Don't let the cost of building or flying be the onlydeterrent to engaging in it. Start simple, work your wayup, and don't look back. And to think that for those inprofessional employment the governmentskims almost as much off a 2-week paycheck than it costsfor a complete set of new Slick mags, harness, and plugs forthe engine, and this happens every two weeks!!!Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:25:46 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: intercostals wing rib

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dan Yocum
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: the cost of building

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> taildrags(at)hotmail.com
Very Well SaidDoug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: the cost of building

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
> >> > > When I started construction of my first (and only) > plans-built homebuilt=2C the Flying Squirrel that I'm> still working on=2C I kept a very detailed log of build> time=2C tasks=2C costs=2C and receipts. I am still keeping> it. After more than six years of building and virtually> no flying=2C I knew I'd have to have an airplane to fly> or I'd lose my flying skills. I bought Corky's Piet so> I could keep flying while I continued to build and> that was five years ago now (I first cut wood on the> Squirrel eleven years ago).> > I have learned a lot about the cost of building an> airplane. Mostly it consists of dozens of purchases> of $10-$20 range=2C with a few in the $50-$100 dollar range=2C> once the big ticket items are paid for (wood=2C engine=2C> instruments). The thing about it is=2C it's not like> when you go to buy a new car and have to sign for > something with five figures right there=2C right then.> And in the case of working on an airplane that you are> also flying=2C it's nearly painless. Repairs=2C upgrades=2C> enhancements- the cost of those is very easy to bear=2C> and so is fuel. No=2C it's getting into the game that is> the most painful and yet in hindsight=2C it's really not> that significant.> > I paid more for a new washer and dryer than it costs for > all the wood to build an airframe and wings. I paid> more for my lawnmower than it costs for the glass cloth> and epoxy resin to build my Flying Squirrel. I paid> more for my daughter's 2004 Camry with over 100K miles> on it than for a complete A65 with carb=2C mags=2C and> exhaust. And yet buying the Camry was so casual that> I met the seller at the parking lot of a mall=2C handed> him a check=2C he gave me the papers for it=2C and I drove> off. Just like that. Buying an airplane engine=2C or> a prop=2C or almost anything for it- seems to require a> lot more agonizing=2C rationalization=2C and saving up than> it really should.> > Once you're flying=2C there is no turning back=3B you're> hooked. I have never thought about the shipping & handling> costs for things I buy for the airplane=2C and although> I'm sure it's a significant cost=2C it's nothing compared> with what I get out of flying my Air Camper. Nothing.> > Don't let the cost of building or flying be the only> deterrent to engaging in it. Start simple=2C work your way> up=2C and don't look back. And to think that for those in> professional employment the government> skims almost as much off a 2-week paycheck than it costs> for a complete set of new Slick mags=2C harness=2C and plugs for> the engine=2C and this happens every two weeks!!!> > Oscar Zuniga> Air Camper NX41CC> San Antonio=2C TX> mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net > ============================================> > > =0A_________________________________________________________________=0AHotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.=0A________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:38:34 -0700 (PDT)