Pietenpol-List: Austin Visit's a Go, Sunday 17 Jan, ETA Lockhart 1130

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Austin Visit's a Go, Sunday 17 Jan, ETA Lockhart 1130

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
ETD from Lockhart back to Houston 1330. Lunch in beautiful Lockhart.Kevin PurteeNX899KP512-422-6371Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Austin Visit's a Go, Sunday 17 Jan, ETA Lockhart 1130

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "kevinpurtee"
When I rebuilt my Aeronca wings, I couldn't find anything on how tight to get thedrag/anti-drag wires. I called the Aeronca guru, Bill Pancake. He said hetalked to Aeronca factory workers years ago about this because he could findno literature on it. They told him to go by the "rule of thumb". The "rule ofthumb" according to them is to put your thumb between the wires where they crossand use the other hand to tight them until it just starts to hurt, then gono more. It's funny because there is a point where you just all of the suddenstart to feel a slight pain. It really doesn't need much. If you put toomuch load on them all it does is put a huge amount of compression load on boththe compression struts and spars for no real reason. All they do is keep thingssquare. No need to put much pre-load on them.Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Austin Visit's a Go, Sunday 17 Jan, ETA Lockhart 1130
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Richard Schreiber"
Sure did. One of the guys at the Thursday EAA lunch told me there might be a spotat Georgetown Jet Center. There was! U-hauled all the hangar stuff up lastweek. Will try to get a ride to Houston to move the piet this weekend. Nice airport. The hangar's beautiful. I've moved up in the world. Will missthe grass, though.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cable Tensiometer and G Note

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Don Emch
Don:This is probably the best description of what is required. I struggled withthe same thing when I was building my wings. I finally came to theconclusion that it is not rocket science. The drag/anti-drag wires justneed to be snug. Over tightening them puts undue strain on the wing andadds nothing to the structural integrity. Again, on my wings I tightenedthe turnbuckles as tight as I could by finger pressure alone. Then I wentone more turn. This gave me a tension of 35-40#.Rick Schreiber> [Original Message]
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: Cable Tensiometer and G Note

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wayne Bressler
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cable Tensiometer and G Note>>> When I rebuilt my Aeronca wings, I couldn't find anything on how tight toget the drag/anti-drag wires. I called the Aeronca guru, Bill Pancake. Hesaid he talked to Aeronca factory workers years ago about this because hecould find no literature on it. They told him to go by the "rule ofthumb". The "rule of thumb" according to them is to put your thumb betweenthe wires where they cross and use the other hand to tight them until itjust starts to hurt, then go no more. It's funny because there is a pointwhere you just all of the sudden start to feel a slight pain. It reallydoesn't need much. If you put too much load on them all it does is put ahuge amount of compression load on both the compression struts and sparsfor no real reason. All they do is keep things square. No need to putmuch pre-load on them.>> Don Emch> NX899DE>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________