Pietenpol-List: Coming Soon - The List of Contributors - Please Make A

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Yea, that paint job idea must have come to you in a dream. I'll bet there might even be a Loensloe logo on the other side......But honestly, can't WAIT to do the black and yellow formation fly by's!! Congratulations man!! A real accomplishment. Send me your street address and I'll get the Official Pietenpol List-Industrial Fish Scale out to you ASAP.Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A good day building

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Wow Jack. The quality of the Piets that are being assembled/finished nowadays are really raising the bar. Very cool!!Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ryan Mueller
305 Riley Street, Falls Church VA 22046I'm planning to run again thurs or Friday. Think you could get it out before that??GeneGene RamboOn Nov 5, 2012, at 6:40 AM, helspersew(at)aol.com wrote:> Yea, that paint job idea must have come to you in a dream. I'll bet there might even be a Loensloe logo on the other side......But honestly, can't WAIT to do the black and yellow formation fly by's!! Congratulations man!! A real accomplishment. Send me your street address and I'll get the Official Pietenpol List-Industrial Fish Scale out to you ASAP.> > Dan Helsper> Puryear, TN> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ryan Mueller
Naaaa, Gates done that already....Gene RamboOn Nov 5, 2012, at 6:40 AM, helspersew(at)aol.com wrote:> Yea, that paint job idea must have come to you in a dream. I'll bet there might even be a Loensloe logo on the other side......But honestly, can't WAIT to do the black and yellow formation fly by's!! Congratulations man!! A real accomplishment. Send me your street address and I'll get the Official Pietenpol List-Industrial Fish Scale out to you ASAP.> > Dan Helsper> Puryear, TN> -----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A good day building

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Chuck, Dave and others, powder coating is a great process, easy to learnwith many videos on youtube. Some say it hides metal cracks, I=92m using aflat texture coating which I believe will show cracks. Columbia Coatings isa great source of coatings and advice. I=92m using a Harbor Freight gun butplanning to upgrade to an adjustable current machine which hopefully willallow better coverage in corners. I too use a 24 inch oven in the basementbut needed an oven for the longer parts. From Menards (hate shopping there)I purchased a 5 foot x 8 inch duct tube, cutting to the length needed. Iused the excess to cut a baffle that was inset about 4 inches above theburner to deflect direct heat from the burner. Its about 3 inches wide. Theburner, from Menards was $12 and fit well. I attached the tube with 4 Ltabs, riveted to the tube and screwed to the burner. Buy an 8 inch cap forthe top. Add handles as you wish. I used an old thermometer from a grill anda =BC inch threaded rod to hang parts on. I use an infrared thermometer tocheck the temp and it varies a bunch. Watch the heat close and you can keepit close to the 375 to 400 needed for 15 to 20 minutes. I was surprised thetube and top were relatively cool (100+) when the chamber is up to heat. Itwont handle my gear legs so I will need to impose upon my friend JerryGrogan to use his oven. It=92s a great cheap setup. Good luck with yours!Jack Textor _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
Gene, It'll go out today UPS ground to VA. I believe it will arrive on Wednesday. Dan-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Gene Rambo
Thanks!! Will is looking forward to the black and yellow two-nation too!!Gene RamboOn Nov 5, 2012, at 7:26 AM, helspersew(at)aol.com wrote:> Gene, It'll go out today UPS ground to VA. I believe it will arrive on Wednesday.> > Dan> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Gene Rambo
Two-mation (his term when 2yo)Gene RamboOn Nov 5, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Gene Rambo wrote:> Thanks!! Will is looking forward to the black and yellow two-nation too!!> > Gene Rambo> > On Nov 5, 2012, at 7:26 AM, helspersew(at)aol.com wrote:> >> Gene, It'll go out today UPS ground to VA. I believe it will arrive on Wednesday.>> >> Dan>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Congratulations, Genethe airplane looks great.Don Lane________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 06:25:39 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: BRETT PHILLIPS
Cloud cars prop. Don't recall diameter, 40 pitch. Jay Anderson made this prop differently from others as an experiment. I think it is thicker and linger than most. We'll see how it acts later this week with spring scale, and how it flys next spring. Gene RamboOn Nov 5, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Michael Perez wrote:> I too appreciate those who are posting progress reports, pictures and videos of engine runs, first flights, etc. I also agree that the build quality...even over the short time that I have been on this list, seems to be improving more and more. You guys keep us current builders motivated.> > How many black and yellow painted planes are there now? Seems like what, three...four?!> > Gene R., what type/size prop. do you have?> > Michael Perez> Pietenpol HINT Videos> Karetaker Aero> www.karetakeraero.com> > > ============================================================================================================================================> ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:13:14 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet project for sale

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: BRETT PHILLIPS
For sale is my Pietenpol project. $8000. Please call me for details. Mike. nine2zero-seven2eight-zero63zeroevenings. Thanx.--------PAPA MIKERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/piet ... ______Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:48:04 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Piet project for sale
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Rigging Rudder

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
Jack;My airplane has two sets of cables leading back from each end of the rudder bar.One set goes to the rudder and one set goes to the tailwheel, and both setshave turnbuckles at the aft ends, which makes them very easy to get to. However,once they are tensioned there should not be any need to get to them veryoften so there is something to be said for putting them at the rudder bar wherethey are essentially on the CG and not way out at the tail where the effectof weight is most evident.As you know, some builders just run one cable aft from the rudder bar and eitherattach short tailwheel steering cables onto the rudder cables "bridle-style",or they steer the tailwheel using horns at the bottom of the rudder, JN-1 style,like Ernie Moreno's:http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/tailwh01.jpg . I think the JN-1 arrangement puts extra load on the bottom of the rudder when this is done, and it should be beefed up. I don't have my Grega plans handy but I'm pretty sure the Grega has extra beef in that area.As to the cable tension, my rudder and tailwheel cables are just snugged to takeout the slack and then maybe take an extra half-turn of the turnbuckle. Forone thing, my cables run through fairleads going aft, so they don't slap aroundif they're not twangy-tight. For another thing, there really isn't a lot offriction in the rudder control system and you're operating it with some of thelargest muscles and "levers" in your body, so nothing is gained by tighteningthe cables real tight. By all means, make sure they're tight enough to keepflutter at bay though.Like Ernie's, my tailwheel connection chains have springs on them where they connectto the steering horns at the tailwheel, so those cables are self-tensioningto some extent, so no point in tightening the cables past the point wherethe springs start to act.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:47:30 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Pietenpol-List: Please Make A Contribution To Support Your Lists

Post by matronics »

matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Turtle Deck Help!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bdewenter"
John;I've never built the turtledeck myself, but I've built similar things and I wouldhave to agree with what Chris Tracy and others wrote... the best shot you'llhave at it is to build the front and rear supports and then stretch some stringsor thin slats between those stations to develop the lines of it. If youtry to work your way aft, it'll probably end up being wavy or bumpy. I'll tryto attach two pictures of how the turtledeck went together on 41CC, but you'llfind that everybody has a different notion of how it should look. On 41CC,the stringers come together at the tail in a flat shape so as to fair into thehorizontal stabilizer. Some make theirs rounded instead. You'll also noticethat the stringers on 41CC have to twist on their way aft, so there are little'holders' on the intermediate sections to hold them in their proper positions.The foam and glass guys would ask, why bother with all that fuss? Stick some slabsof blue or pink foam on the aft fuselage, get a 4' long piece of 2x4 andglue some 40 grit floor sanding paper onto it, and sand the foam to shape in about15 minutes. Shop vac all the sanding dust off. Glass over it, remove thehardened turtledeck, dig out the foam, done ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/tdec ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Turtle Deck Help!
matronics

>> RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-l
>> I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!>> >> Gary Boothe>> NX308MB>>
matronics

>> RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-l
>> I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!>> >> Gary Boothe>> NX308MB>>
matronics

>>> RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-
>>> I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!>>> >>> Gary Boothe>>> NX308MB>>>
matronics

>>>> RE: Pietenpol-List: First engine run today! NX898H

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol
>>>> I=99ll be damned! Black & yellowI had no idea! Sounds great, Gene!!>>>> >>>> Gary Boothe>>>> NX308MB>>>>