Pietenpol-List: Build cost

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Build cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ray Krause"
Corky said it perfectly. To fill in what he DIDN'T say, here'sthe rest of the story. You can go back through the archives andfind his posting when he offered 41CC for sale for $15,000. Hemade sure it was a "no B.S." offer and negotiation, and I hope itwas. The airplane had just had its test time flown off so it wasessentially brand-new, had an A65 and Hegy prop, very nice panelfull of instruments, and was a proven flyer. All of which is tosay that this is one more data point at the $15K mark for a good,sound, flying Air Camper.What was NOT included in the cost was the overwhelmingly wonderfulboat-load of intangibles that came with the airplane. Permanentfriendships, trust, honor, generosity, ingenuity, fun, pleasure,gifts, knowledge... and the inestimable value of wonderful hours offlying, tinkering, tuning, learning, adjusting, and more flyingthat this airplane has brought me. Value cannot be placed on that.Tomorrow, February 2, I will hand a check for $32,000+ to an automobiledealership for a new vehicle for my wife. It's a 2011 model SUV.If 41+ years with this same woman provide any pattern for the future,we will keep this vehicle for about 10 years and put maybe 120,000miles on it in that time. This vehicle will cost twice what thePiet cost me but I will not stay up at night thinking about tinyimprovements to it, or how I will approach the garage to park itnext time I drive it, or much of anything about it except the bareessentials. Not so with my Air Camper, which does not have even atiny fraction of the comfort, accessories, safety features, performance,or capability of the SUV. I think about my airplane, and flying it,all the time. My airplane demands far greater care than my car butwill bring me much more pleasure and enjoyment. Before deciding topurchase this SUV, I compared features and reviews online and thenwent shopping for the best price. Before deciding to purchase41CC, I underwent a complete change in lifestyle and way of thinking.I didn't used to think much of Pietenpols... in fact, I didn't even know whatthey were and didn't even notice them in my flying magazines. Nowthey are the standard against which all others are judged.I'm glad Bernard Pietenpol lived on this earth and brought us thiswonderful machine. I don't even know who Chevrolet was, althoughmy family still runs a large Chevrolet dealership in south Texasand has for the last 50 years. I guess I should at least learn moreabout Mr. Chevrolet in fairness to him.Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"San Antonio, TXwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Wire Wheel Build-up

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Michael,How much does one of the wheels weigh? Some metal, spoked wheel came with my Sky Scout "Stuff", but I think they are pretty heavy. Any one else with wheel weights that would help me?Thanks and fly SAFELY,Ray KrauseWaiex 51YX, Jabiru 3300 (1197), Sensenich wood prop, AeroCarb (#2 needle modified), Dynon D-180, Garmin SL 30 NavCom, Garmin 327 transponder, Garmin Aera 560, nav and strobe lights: 240 hrs. Building Sky Scout, tail feathers done, ribs done, fuselage .66 done maybe only 3-4 years more!. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Build cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> taildrags(at)hotmail.com
Wasn't Chevrolet the guy who 'sponsored' the fabrication of those Pietenpol engines that are 'always' snapping the crank?See=2C both guys were equally interesting.Tom B.
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Build cost

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
> >> > > Corky said it perfectly. To fill in what he DIDN'T say=2C here's> the rest of the story. You can go back through the archives and> find his posting when he offered 41CC for sale for $15=2C000. He> made sure it was a "no B.S." offer and negotiation=2C and I hope it> was. The airplane had just had its test time flown off so it was> essentially brand-new=2C had an A65 and Hegy prop=2C very nice panel> full of instruments=2C and was a proven flyer. All of which is to> say that this is one more data point at the $15K mark for a good=2C> sound=2C flying Air Camper.> > What was NOT included in the cost was the overwhelmingly wonderful> boat-load of intangibles that came with the airplane. Permanent> friendships=2C trust=2C honor=2C generosity=2C ingenuity=2C fun=2C pleasure=2C> gifts=2C knowledge... and the inestimable value of wonderful hours of> flying=2C tinkering=2C tuning=2C learning=2C adjusting=2C and more flying> that this airplane has brought me. Value cannot be placed on that.> > Tomorrow=2C February 2=2C I will hand a check for $32=2C000+ to an automobile> dealership for a new vehicle for my wife. It's a 2011 model SUV.> If 41+ years with this same woman provide any pattern for the future=2C> we will keep this vehicle for about 10 years and put maybe 120=2C000> miles on it in that time. This vehicle will cost twice what the> Piet cost me but I will not stay up at night thinking about tiny> improvements to it=2C or how I will approach the garage to park it> next time I drive it=2C or much of anything about it except the bare> essentials. Not so with my Air Camper=2C which does not have even a> tiny fraction of the comfort=2C accessories=2C safety features=2C performance=2C> or capability of the SUV. I think about my airplane=2C and flying it=2C> all the time. My airplane demands far greater care than my car but> will bring me much more pleasure and enjoyment. Before deciding to> purchase this SUV=2C I compared features and reviews online and then> went shopping for the best price. Before deciding to purchase> 41CC=2C I underwent a complete change in lifestyle and way of thinking.> I didn't used to think much of Pietenpols... in fact=2C I didn't even know what> they were and didn't even notice them in my flying magazines. Now> they are the standard against which all others are judged.> > I'm glad Bernard Pietenpol lived on this earth and brought us this> wonderful machine. I don't even know who Chevrolet was=2C although> my family still runs a large Chevrolet dealership in south Texas> and has for the last 50 years. I guess I should at least learn more> about Mr. Chevrolet in fairness to him.> > Oscar Zuniga> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> San Antonio=2C TX> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net > ============================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________